Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEP Duct Flanges and Joints

MEP Duct Flanges and Joints

Would be nice to have Duct Flange settings. I mean real ones, not unions, and have them function exactly like AutoCAD MEP, where if you use a grip to pull a joint one way, it pulls the entire run, and will intelligently adjust any elbows or offsets accordingly. And this should not be a tool that you can only apply after a duct run has been routed, but rather has preset joint lengths and flange settings, which will auto-populate during the duct routing process. 

9 Comments
ENERTEK.vbl
Enthusiast

I'de like to upvote this x100.

I've been fighting for this with customer support for a while already.

It is one of the numerous "AutoCAD MEP does it better cases" (like parallel pipes for example)

tzframpton
Contributor

Thanks v.blattner. I would love for some support. Try and share this with friends and acquaintances so we can really grab some attention. 

-T

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk

The integration of Fabrication modeling capabilities from our CADmep acquisition into Revit supports the ability to accurately model ductwork, taking into consideration preset joint lengths (based on the material being manufactured from) and the turn over from the flange or other connection (such as slip-and-drive)).

If you have other specific requests related to detailed ductwork modeling based on the Fabrication Ductwork capabilities already implemented in Revit, please feel free to post other ideas.

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

tzframpton
Contributor

Thanks for replying Martin. Are you talking about the Fabrication Parts in Revit? If so, this is very difficult to call an implemented solution for many reasons. It doesn't work well at all with native Revit duct accessories and duct fittings, and it's difficult to schedule properly. It's almost as if we have two options in Revit for ductwork, and each option has what the other needs, and lacks what the other has. Since this CADmep acquisition, it seems to me that the end users will probably not see a good solution on this, at least for now. 

-T

ENERTEK.vbl
Enthusiast

Hello Martin,

Are you sure Fabrication does the job?

It is surely nice and pretty, but when we tried this solution, our pipes lost their BIM info such as flow, pressure lost, etc.

Maybe it is something we did wrong but for now we are not using it because of this loss.

Added to what tframptonLYDRY wrote, it might not be a solution yet.

Please tell us if at least this is an existing workaround for these points, or if it is related to the fact we are not at ease with it yet.

Thanks

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk

@tzframpton, yes, MEP Fabrication Ductwork supports flanges and joints as requested.  Our recommendation at present for duct accessories would be to use the Fabrication elements such as dampers, etc, if your end goal is to produce a consolidated schedule of elements ready for Fabrication.  Then, for scheduling, you can generate a schedule and other such production documents in CAMduct using the reporting functionalities.  

If there are components that you are not able to produce, or output in schedules you are unable to achieve, that would be a separate request, and I invite you to create separate Revit Ideas postings provide more detail.

@ENERTEK.vbl - Yes, I am sure that MEP Fabrication Ductwork does the job of incorporating real joints and flange settings.  If the Job to Be Done is to have an accurate sheet metal representation that can be coordinated and can be output to CAM for production and installation, yes, these components can do that.

Regarding flow, pressure drop, etc, there are improvements that we are making to the core functionality in this regard, as indicated on our Revit Roadmap, as well as scalability and proper support for hydronic loop analysis incorporated into the 2018 release.  These are to overcome challenges users have that result in various work arounds that tends to leave the model in a non-fabrication ready state.  As we develop a more robust solution, we are doing so utilizing frameworks that could support Fabrication elements... but there are things we still need to do to ensure a user friendly experience before incorporating analysis onto fabrication elements.

If having pressure drop and flow to support sizing your pipe/duct networks, and associated pumps/fans is important to you, I'd recommend that you include that as a separate request here in Revit ideas.. it is on our radar, but it wouldn't hurt to see how important this is to the rest of the community via this forum.

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report