Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow Shared Parameter in a Key Schedule

Allow Shared Parameter in a Key Schedule

Currently one cannot add a shared parameter to a key schedule.  We need ability to add them and control their values from the Key schedule.

95 Comments
kyleswanson6198
Observer

Totally agree, very limiting especially with the new calculated values in tags.

FabianVergoteVKAE
Enthusiast

Ability to add shared parameters to keyschedules instead off having to use the system parameters like comments,...

This way we can tag the information added in the keyschedules.

pieter5
Advisor
harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision.

The Factory

nbower
Advocate

I can't up vote this enough.  This would be amazing to streamline the ability to calculate and tag room occupancies.

Kevin.Bell
Advisor

Currently, if you use a schedule key, you cannot use a shared parameter with it.

This is a big limtation, we use Schedule keys all the time (for room finishes), but run out of parameters to use.

Its frustrating when halfway through a design you find out you need to add an adidtional parameter to the key, but there is not a space one to use.

Making the Schedule key work with shared parameters would make Revit more consistant.

pieter5
Advisor

There's already an idea like this: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/revit-allow-shared-parameter-in-a-key-schedule/idi-p/62546...

Please add your vote there.

It's one of the highest ranked ideas and Autodesk is reviewing it.

Kevin.Bell
Advisor

Yea, I found that after I'd posted this... I've voted for it now.

jkidder
Collaborator

This would be very helpful for many things, especially with the ability to show calculated parameters in tags.  Key schedules are great for standardizing information, but often that information needs to be displayed outside a schedule.

• Finish groups in apartment complexes
  • Occupancy types for rooms and areas (Assembly, /Occupant or /Unit text to a tag, etc.)
  • Abbreviated names of rooms or spaces
cwinches
Advocate

Expanding on this: can we have the ability to revise instantly the shared parameters themselves without third party apps?

daudette1
Contributor

Adding the ability to include calculated values in tags feels like a near miss when we still do not have the ability to use shared parameters in key schedules.  

ekkonap
Contributor

Question: if the Shared Parameter is defined in a Family, and also in a Schedule Key, which one wins?

kyleswanson6198
Observer
There is no race, shared parameters can't be accessed in key schedules in any form. That is the issue.

Kyle Swanson
Sent from Mobile Device
SashKaz
Advocate

I submitted this idea as well. Having the ability to use Shared Parameters in a Key Schedule is a must. Calculated Values to Tags is pretty useless without enabling this feature.

Clarke_Symetri
Enthusiast

Adding my support for this one. Was excited to use a calculated value in a tag, for occupancy calculations, but without the ability to tie it to the occupancy load factors in my key schedule - no can do 😞  Thanks!

jkidder
Collaborator

@ekkonap First of all the issue of what would happen if a shared parameter is defined in both a shared parameter and in a family only applies to all non-system families where you can add a formula.  As with anything else being transferred, I'd see the project information as overruling any in the project. Ideally, when trying to add a shared parameter controlled by a formula in a family Revit would give you a warning that the shared parameter is defined elsewhere.  It would then either:

• Not allow the shared parameter to be added to the key schedule while controlled by a formula
  • (Preferred) Have additional warning dialogue text stating "If you continue _____ parameter will be overridden"  After clicking "OK" it would allow the parameter to be added and would add an asterisk to the model name or highlight the parameter field in some way, with the hoover text "this parameter is being controlled by a  key schedule".  If the family is edited or put in another project without that key schedule it will revert to having the shared parameter be controlled by the formula
mdengusiak
Advocate

This Idea is under review from ‎07-01-2016 08:52 PM. Why does it take so long to evaluate and make decision? ...almost 11 months !?...

mdengusiak
Advocate

Hi, how long are you planning to review this idea? ...

henrique.sanson
Participant

Hi, that would be absolutely brilliant!

Only to give one example from a previous experience in case it helps Autodesk:

The goal was be to be able to control door Ironmongery visibility parameters on the door families (such as kick and push plate; lever, pull handle and/or push bar; euro lock, thumb turn or occupancy signage; WC and/or statutory signage, etc) through the Ironmongery Set (key) schedule, which could even be linked to an external excel file.

In the beginning it was ok to control it through door schedules but once the number of doors on the project surpassed the couple of thousands then it became a bit harder to handle it. I initially had the idea to create a few basic hardware sets inside the family with the ability to override it by instance if needed (see image), but then the number of sets started increasing rapidly and suddenly that approach was no longer enough.

Door family parameters table.JPGI then considered creating dummy "yes/no" text parameters on the key schedule (only parameter type allowed) and then match the family parameters to them through dynamo, but it would became too messy down the road, ending up being a bigger problem than actually started with.

If we had the power to control more than "dummy" text parameters on a family through a key schedule, that would be powerful! Those specific parameters could then all be instance so to avoid conflicts, not a problem. But ideally type would override type and instance would override instance. It could work as sort of a "Global Parameters Set" with "sub-parameters" associated to it.

Or else to be able to have those "parameter sets" or key schedules inside the families to control a set of parameters at once would also be great and save huge time...

I hope I made any sense.... 😕

-luisa-
Contributor

A thousand times yes to this idea.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report