Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Revit multi-disciplines as it should be, not architecture oriented only.

Make Revit multi-disciplines as it should be, not architecture oriented only.

Is revit really a multi discipline software or an architecture thing?

Why every commands are related to wall?

I'm on MEP, I want to align duct, canalisations, lights, etc..  so what does that means :

fruity101079_0-1663055693870.png

Wall axis?

Wall faces?

"Porteur" axis and faces? (have no idea what is this word, i think it poutre/beam)

And no matter you change this option, nothing change when aligning canalisations.

It's not understandable for beginners. It's still for me, lots of things i don't what it means, what the purpose.

And don't search in help files because it's always related to structure or architecture, nothing for other disciplines. It's useless.

8 Comments
mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

You've been on quite a roll buddy.

That option simply makes it easier to determine what portion of a wall you are aligning to IF you are aligning to a wall, which I'm quite certain MEP does. It does not mean you can only align to walls. And why are you working in a language you don't understand? If its in the same order as the English version, it should mean "core".

fruity101079
Collaborator

No, this is my language, i was meaning that this word "porteur" doesn't mean anything, it's bad translation. Like a lot of others translations in Revit.

About your answer, "determine what portion of a wall you are aligning to IF you are aligning to a wall" but we never align ducts, cana or electric tray to walls. The option doesn't have to exist in MEP (even in architecture, just use tab like every other commands)

I mean , if the option is useless, there is no point to give to opportunity to click on it.

If it shows me an option, it's because it's useful. Here i can't.

It's confusing.

mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

It is a quality of life thing. If you are aligning to the certain part of a wall over and over again, which is not uncommon, then this means you don't have to constantly tab through the different parts of the wall.

If you don't want to use it, don't use it. This just comes off as over-dramatic whining rather than any actual ideas.

fruity101079
Collaborator

@mhiserZFHXS

You are thinking this way because you are architect or structure and are using it. 

You know I can say exactly the same for my concern: you are aligning to the certain part of a duct over and over again, which is not uncommon, then this means you don't have to constantly tab through the different parts of the duct.

But i don't have a visual option special for me. And I'm aligning ducts every days.

So the idea is to adapt the tab to each discipline, and not impose the architect one to everybody.

mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

Okay then, what are the different layers of a duct you would need to align to?

fruity101079
Collaborator

Up, down and axis. The things you get with tab.

But the 1st post was about the confusion of displaying architecture option when drawing MEP.

stefan_gokstorp
Advocate

I understand your frustration but  a work around until this actully happens could be hiding the link with the commando "HH" (temporary hide) that way the walls wont interfer with snapping to the ducts?

Ric_Weber
Advocate

@fruity101079  and @mhiserZFHXS and @stefan_gokstorp I think I'm understanding the issue now.  I have a suggested idea solution to this I think.  Not that Revit would have one or the other, but both.  There is the wall drop down and then there could be a duct drop down, and perhaps a pipe drop down, etc.   So if you were aligning a wall with a duct for instance, or vise versa, then it would default to your preferred options for each of those types of things. 

@fruity101079 perhaps you could pen that idea as a feature you'd like to see added as that is in your discipline.  I would definitely give my vote for this.  And perhaps don't word it so angrily.  

Also, regarding the translation issue, I'm hoping they could take care of that in a trouble ticket.  Because if that is not a word or the wrong word, I'm sure Autodesk would love to know that to get it corrected.  Are there other translation issues that you've seen?   I have three tickets in with Autodesk right now on various items and on one of the items, it was an issue that has been around since it's feature creation and I am apparently the first to issue a ticket on it, well over 1.5 years.  So now they are working on a fix.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report