Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make BIMobject useable

Make BIMobject useable

Im really disappointed that Autodesk let BIMobject launch when it is so obviously flawed. The company has a very clear mission statement:

"BIMobject corporation is built around a network of companies and partners all over the world. Our ambition is to be the link between the complex technology around CAD & BIM and assist our customers, the Building product and interior manufacturers to successfully develop & manage digital replicas of their products as BIM objects"

however, they fail to mention the end user. Its clear that the company is so manufacturing facing that they forgot to make their library easy for us to use.

BIMobject is not user friendly for a number of reasons:

1. its slow
  2. limited functionality with any BIMobject window open
  3. no settings
  4. very poor search algorithm (I can give a dozen examples if you like)
  5. search is unreliable, sometimes doing a raw text search, sometimes taking you to a category
  6. categories don't align with how architects and engineers generally categorize this stuff
  7. Revit family category not listed (despite having many other classifications)
  8. some families are in metric (even with the United States Region turned on)
  9. some families are not in the same version as revit requiring upgrade
  10. type catalog .txt files not available.
  11. quality control (marvin windows are broken by a shared parameter issue)

Seek wasn't broken in as many ways. You should have made sure that BIMobject would provide a somewhat decent and working solution before endorsing them and their app.

6 Comments
Kimtaurus
Advisor

Another issue is hosted families. some are wall hosted, of facde hosted, but there's no clear line within a category. As a result washbasins for instance aren't easily interchangable.

When the host between familes is different, you have to delete the first instance and replace with a different family.

Orientation of family geometry is also inconsistent.

SESE1372
Contributor

@galen_dbvw

Thank you for your feedback.

Here at BIMobject, we are always working hard on creating the best user experience possible. One thing that I need to clarify is, we do indeed care about end users. Please see my answers below to your 11 points

1. We are always optimizing bimobject.com we are working speeding up bimobject.com,  what connection are you using? We have a very rich content site that does require bandwidth. You will see noticeable differences in the very near future     

2. The BIMobject Revit app is a shortcut to bimobject.com, all object settings and functionality are done within Revit.

3. Not sure what you mean?

4. When we migrated SEEK there were over 250000 files and a huge amount of metadata, yes we need to improve the search functionality, it is something we are working very hard on it and will gradually improve it. (Would like to hear your thoughts on this, I have PMed you)

5. Please see the above comment

6. This is something we need to look into, thanks for the feedback

7. You are right; this is something that will be addressed in the coming weeks.

8. This is because the Manufacturer has chosen to have their products in metric, by changing your region to the US, will not change how the product information on bimobject.com is shown, but, you can download the metric content, Revit will handle the conversion to Imperial automatically.

9. All of the Revit files on bimobject.com that where migrated from SEEK are Revit 2015 compatible

10. Please provide examples, all type catalogues that were on SEEK are also on bimobject.com, any RFA that has an accompanying type catalogue(txt) will be presented in a new window if you are using the BIMobject Revit app. Otherwise, they can be downloaded separately

11. I need more information, can you please send me a link to the objects you are having issues with.

SESE1372
Contributor

@Kimtaurus

Hi,

Family hosting is kind of hot topic from time to time mainly because some hosted families don't tag along in linked project files causing problems in collaboration projects. Some manufacturers knows about this and some don't, some choose to ignore it and some choose to make things non-hosted. Mainly it comes down to what functionality they want in their families and how they want them to be presented.

So the main difference in how families are built up should only be in between different brands, if there is inconsistencies within the same brand probably they have chosen another direction from previous development.

If you could provide concrete examples of both this and the orientation issue we would be very happy to have a look at it and correct any issues.

Best regards

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for your feedback. I am archiving this issue as the Revit team cannot make improvements to BIMobject. I encourage you to continue the conversation with the BIMobject team.

Shawn_Graham99
Contributor

It is now April 2018. I have recently upgraded to Revit 18 and the latest patch / update 18.2. Long story short, BimObject is totally non-functional and absolutely wrong. Get rid of this crap. Let them post on the internet under their own flag. If they do such a great job, we will find them and use them. For autodesk to force this seriously flawed product on us is a major bonor. You guys are lucky you have a monopoly. Cheers. Heading to Revit city now to get what I need. Thanks.

SESE1372
Contributor

@Shawn_Graham99

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with our services. From what I can understand of your post its the BIMobject Revit add-in that causes problems. If you could provide some more information such as screenshots or error messages we would be very happy to help.

Best regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report