Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow us to Draw Small Detail and Model Lines

Allow us to Draw Small Detail and Model Lines

This is is not exactly a new or ground breaking idea. For years I have battled with not being able to draw very short lines. If Revit can measure an object or line down to the the nearest 256th of an inch why can't we draw lines under 1/32" This may seam ridiculous to some but it does come into play when developing window, curtain wall and storefront details. This also would help when converting CAD Details to Revit families. 

71 Comments
craigh_bim
Advocate

Please increase the minimum length of a line from 1/32" to 1/64". When creating detail components from a vendors cad file, I'm faced with lines that create the error "Element is too small on screen". There are lots of vendors who have a detail level smaller than 1/32". I understand that this is nearly invisible, however, it is important to properly show metal fabrications that are thin gauged.

Tags (7)
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is not a way that I know of to fix this problem through the Revit API. This is a question to Autodesk as they have access to this part of the code.

I have run into this problem several times, by the way.

craigh_bim
Advocate

@Anonymous

I understand. I'm not looking for an API solution. I'm looking for Autodesk to hard code change this.

dazza1639
Advocate

This is a must 0.8mm as a limit even in drafted items at scale 1:2 is  ridiculous. we build all of our components that require items to report less than 0.8mm with 2 parameters one to report the required thickness (user entry eg. 0.6mm) the second controls the geometry with an if statement that limits the actual size to 1mm. A workaround but it allows us to report the correct information in the schedules and allows the geometry to flex without exceeding the 0.8mm limit.

Zwielehner
Advocate

Let's go one step further. Get rid of the internal imperial calculation. It's 2016, all Western countries (except one 😉 ) work with metric system. And then allow float or decimal precision.

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

I think I understand the reasoning for not allowing tiny Model Lines (for performance reasons?)

May not agree with it, but I think there is a reason.

For Detail Lines, however, I see no reason at all to have a limit.

Sam_FORGE
Contributor

Revit will only draw lines that are greater than 0.8mm (1/32 ̋ ). Generally I can understand the purpose of this as it is unlikely that anyone using Revit would be producing details at a higher level of accuracy than this. Unfortunately I have recently found that the minimum line length is restricting my content creation, see example below:

The attached images demonstrate where I have recently encountered this problem. The family is a simple kitchen counter with instance controlled Width and Depth, the dashed line represents the UK building reg. clear zone. The line highlighted in red is the line that causes the family to break under certain conditions.

Attached images 1 and 2 demonstrate how this line works as the Depth of the counter is flexed, i.e. the line highlighted red and the horizontal dashed line shown in image 2 have their visibility switched to 'off' when the counter's depth is less than 1850. When the Depth of the counter is reduced by 500 from image 1 the red line has a length of 0 and the family cannot be created as shown in image 3. While the family is still usable it is limited in a way I'd rather it wasn't.

My suggestion would be that, when used in a family, symbolic lines are able to reduce to a length of 0. This would allow greater flexibility during family creation, and as symbolic lines don't represent geometry of the family and are only visible in parallel views the performance impact on Revit would surely be very minor.

Tags (4)
jkidder
Collaborator

It would be helpful if there was an inbult - 0"=not visible setting &default to X" setting.  There are lots of cases where model elements would accidentally be 0 (items turned off in a family instance, etc.) where the situation arises

Until then, you can add it yourself with some extra parameters.

samuelsanf
Advisor

I also had problems with lines less than 0.79 mm in length. The worst case has been trying to create a solid fill for the North Arrow symbol family, the wind rose have each half of it's edges filled with black, but on some boudaries I had to create the outline of the fill, some lines measured less than the limit that allowed revit and could not be placed. In the end I had to leave it unfilled, and it looks pretty bad.

The symbol's total lenght have to be 25.4 mm in a sheet, so I could not scale it nor change the scale of the sheet.

Revit Knowledge portal suggest use underlay image instead, but that isn't a desirable workaround.

dazza1639
Advocate

The 0.8mm limitation is easy to overcome with parameters that limit of alter the 3d geometry so that the rule isn't broken, where the limit does become a real problem is when creating detail component families for things such as mullions or other extruded aluminium profiles. These quite often have elements that are smaller than the 0.8mm limit. When you are producing fabrication / installation drawings this level of detail is required on the detail drawings. It also makes it very difficult to convert  CAD blocks of these elements into native Revit detail items as there are lines that Revit will not let you trace or create, even though an imported CAD block will show correctly, but as we all know leaving imported AutoCAD elements in a family wreaks havoc with you model.

It would be nice if it was eliminated altogether, but I can live with the 0.8mm limit for 3D geometry. It definitely needs to go for detail items.

f.cornelius
Advocate

Same here... Would love to create schematics in Revit, but it is difficult now due to the limitation of the 0.8mm. It can be overcome, but for details the limit needs to go down or even better, be eliminated.

Sahay_R
Mentor

We expect better precision from Revit than this - especially when we are transferring content from AutoCad which gives perfect precision.

Capture.JPG

samuelsanf
Advisor
SamKeville-NBBJ
Contributor

Can we get this limit increased?  it's the last link that makes people need to use Autocad instead of being able to work completely in Revit.

SamKeville-NBBJ
Contributor
Oh cool! One links to another topic too. Seems like something a lot of us
want.
pieter5
Advisor

You might also be interested in this one: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/get-rid-of-quot-too-small-on-screen-quot-when-moving-some... That one has to do with moving objects a small distance (not with creating new ones). Although both are related in some cases.

edwingu
Enthusiast

Please for make this problem clear since every year Revit release...

Line under 1 can't create (0.9, 0.8, ...etc) for Region Boundary.... and always got error notification

"Element is too small on screen" and the latest version "Can't create line"

Simple, still not change yet with this problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would love to see Revit fix this issue.  It happens often, and is EXTREMELY annoying and time consuming to work around.

Kimtaurus
Advisor
JOfford_13
Advocate

This is a huge barrier for us when we want to use Revit for both coordination AND fabrication.  Both AutoCAD and Inventor, true CAD platforms, don't have this limitation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report