Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing a web browser/ cloud based Revit version.

Introducing a web browser/ cloud based Revit version.

A lot of people are asking to get Revit native on another operating system like OSX.

But if the future is cloud and we are collaborating over the cloud, why not introducing a web browser/ cloud based Revit version (similar like Revit Live or Formit..)?

Our hard- and software issues will be reduced. There will be no more “backward compatibility” problems (if it only run’s on the cloud)....

14 Comments
thamizhz
Advocate

If revit working with cloud is possible.? then need to make a multi login, user & QC (Worker & Management Level) can visit and see whats process going there or not. its possible in future?

fabiosato
Mentor

Hello,

Actually, Collaboration for Revit already allows this.

thamizhz
Advocate

hey, 

yes. but its only for an installed version right?

fabiosato
Mentor

Hello,

Yes, that´s right, but only for working on the model, to be able to see the model, only a browser is enough.

If you invite others to collaborate in the project, they can upload their model as well.

Viveka_CD
Autodesk Support

Adding @ross.kennedy for comments - sharing his post below:

"Hi Autodesk Revit Architecture,

Thank you for making great software, my students love using Fusion 360 and Revit for their stage 5 Graphics work.

Fusion is a fantastic package that allows all operating systems and machines to access the software without the need for a big download. Well done!

When will an Architecture package similarly go online so that Apple, PC and Chromebook users can all access the software regardless of the machine, the operating system and the size of space on the hard drive?

Regards

Ross Kennedy"

ipselute
Advisor

I know it seems like a far-fetched idea, but i really believe Revit should move to ChromeOS. ChromeOS is free, like in "virus-free", is liter than Windows and works on various devices. It already runs Android apps, and soon-enough (a couple of months) will run generic linux apps. I know it ain't easy rewrite the entire code, yet a time for change is coming. Nobody wants to be left behind stuck in Windows.

I understand the desire for revit to be multi-platform.

But requesting to "move over to" android is a rather big claim.

I suppose Autodesk would consider opening up eventually, when there is sufficient demand... but to my knowledge, the demand to expand to Mac should be even bigger than ChromeOS.

Don't forget that most of the industry runs on windows at the moment, and an entire industry is a very slow turning ship.

Remember, there's a lot of people that swear by AutoCAD to draw entire buildings even after this time.

About the other remarks..  I'm glad you're so enthousiastic about ChromeOS, I might try it out in the future.

ipselute
Advisor
@GertjanvandenbroekVKAE: ChromeOS is not Android. It's much more, more capable. WindowsOS is old and desktop-centric, ChromeOS is network(internet)-centric. Collaboration is paramount for 21st century. Can't have collaboration, distribution and correlation between disciplines without internet. Children in schools are using Chromebooks these days, not Windows. In 10 years they will request Chrome technologies. And yes, this is a long time project.

Well regardless of your claims for windows being old ( despite win10 was written from scratch ) and chrome being so network focussed.

( I don't  really want to get into a discussion about operating systems that's not the point here )

Revit does come with network collaboration ( for internal company use ) using the "central model - local model".. model.

And with the addition of Collaboration for Revit (C4R) there now is a cloud-based method of working that does seem to fit your needs.

A smaller problem ( but still very real ) is that internet connections can fail, from short outages to big blackouts. Just as with power-outages you can't really do anything while the internet is out if you're working on a fully internet based project.

Now, that being said I do see the possibility for revit to become available in a browser, where a powerfull machine runs revit; so that any device can "technically" work with revit.

I could definitly get behind that idea if that's what you're proposing.

krzystoff
Advocate

It may be a surprise, but Autodesk has been using Citrix App Virtualisation to test new versions of their products for several years. 

There is already Citrix Receiver for Chrome, so the idea of a Virtual Revit on your ChromeBook or Mac is not so far-fetched (Graphics performance of Autodesks products on OSX Parallels is currently less than ideal). 

The downsides of App Virtualisation are a little lag and connection reliability, (your files can be stored either on the LAN or in the cloud so overall speed isn't a big factor);  As the tools continue to evolve and internet speeds continue to improve (with more and more gigabit fibre connections becoming common), we could see a new generation of users that just use a cheap (disposable) tablet to run their subcription design suite.

renan.jose
Advocate

Allow users to run Revit in the cloud to work from anywhere, on any device - even a Macbook, iPad, or Chromebook. Access Revit full capabilities from a browser with no plug-ins required like Solid Edge. https://solidedge.siemens.com/en/solutions/products/3d-design/cloud-enabled-design/

Here are some of the advantages:

• Easier to keep updated for multiple platforms at once.
  • Increase revenue getting rid of piracy since the license it self it the login to the web based platform.
  • Much broader reach since there isn't hardware requirements and more revenues through fast rendering options.
  • Faster development for BIM since anyone, anywhere can access and interact within the platform.
  • No crashs, CPU bottle necks, startup delays, etc
  • Easier to spread the tool through students and university campus since there is no need for slow setups.
  • ... And much more.  

Actually there are some third party companies renting VPS to run Revit from the cloud but the tool isn't fit for that, it is expensive, minimum users required and there is always security issues when running things on virtual private servers. 

That would be a nice domain: www.revit360.com

Best regards,

Renan

dgorsman
Consultant

There's a number of shortfalls for this.  There are already quite a few users who are opposed to cloud-based features entirely, let alone putting *everything* there.  I'm not entirely against the concept but it's important to acknowledge the flaws:

Screen space: hold up an iPad next to your computer monitors (you will normally have several) while you are working.  How *exactly* are you going to get everything on there, in a workable and readable state?

Updates/program versions: upgrading versions can be problematic, especially if a new version changes how things work or introduces an unacceptable drawback.  There would have to be multiple versions/updates, and a safe means to upgrade projects between them.

Wider access: while it *may* be possible to run on more hardware platforms it will actually be more restrictive, due to availability of high-bandwidth service.  Offices and individuals in smaller communities will not be able to use the software even though they can use it now due to only requiring the licensing system to be online.  There may also be concerns about where the storage is being kept for legal, security, and proprietary information concerns (usually overblown but there are a few legitimate cases where it does apply).

Online rendering: this is already available.

CPU crashes/start-up delays: well, not entirely prevented.  Upgrades and service are pushed to the host provider, which may still have to take down service for various reasons.  Service may also be interrupted due to third-party issues such as system outages or DDoS attacks.  Also doesn't take into consideration any hardware/software maintenance issues on the users hardware.

wr.marshall
Advisor

Cannot believe all those people voting Revit for Mac and backward compatibility are not voting this idea. 18 Votes only (at the time of writing this). Are people that short sighted that they cannot see the future. There will be advantages for both Autodesk and End users.

Advantages for End User

• Immediate availability of latest features, so no more Yearly update for major release and half year wait for minor release. Autodesk will be able push new features immediately that they are available.
  • If there is a quirky bug in the model Autodesk will be able to access (permission granted by End User of course), to see the issue and able to fix
  • Easier access from pro users/Autodesk to help newbies accomplish something within Revit (permission granted by End User of Course)
  • Able to access from anywhere Office/Home/Site...
  • Overcome OS limitations Windows, OS/X, Chrombook, Ubuntu....
  • Overcome backward compatibility issue. A lot of companies tend to keep a model in a certain version due to being unable to back save. As some companies upgrade immediately while others hold off a year or two while bug fixes are made that were not caught in alpha/beta testing releases, thus a whole multi year project is held back  in a particular version, so that everyone can access and modify. By having a browser based version everyone would be on the same version and if a new feature is available will be pushed immediately as point 1 above.
  • Hardware could be maintained on the server end (Autodesk) while the only issue from the user end would be connection and connection speed. 
  • Price may become cheaper as legal end user who pay their subscriptions aren't paying for illegal users who pirate cracked versions of the software, as Autodesk will be able to better control right of use.
  • Easier sharing of content like family's between users (if they allow) and suppliers with others. saving time of each user redesigning the same particular family.
  • Autodesk (Revit team) better able to determine which features to prioritize  and develop through data of what tools are being used by end users, thus they are able to expand on and develop new tools to assist end users accomplish tasks quicker and easier.
oceandrafting
Enthusiast

@wr.marshall 

Advantages for End User

• Immediate availability of latest features, so no more Yearly update for major release and half year wait for minor release. Autodesk will be able push new features immediately that they are available.

Most people do not care about this at all, I ran 2018 till I changed to 2022 and I regret upgrading 2022 has all kind of strange bugs with Families.

• If there is a quirky bug in the model Autodesk will be able to access (permission granted by End User of course), to see the issue and able to fix

Autodesk is not going to be troubled with fixing your models quirky bugs.

• Easier access from pro users/Autodesk to help newbies accomplish something within Revit (permission granted by End User of Course)

Not even sure what you are talking about here

• Able to access from anywhere Office/Home/Site...

I have that now running Revit on a window system in the closet "hit unless rendering Revit uses very little resources"

• Overcome OS limitations Windows, OS/X, Chrombook, Ubuntu....

See above I use Revit on an iPad with pencil using Team Viewer. 

• Overcome backward compatibility issue. A lot of companies tend to keep a model in a certain version due to being unable to back save. As some companies upgrade immediately while others hold off a year or two while bug fixes are made that were not caught in alpha/beta testing releases, thus a whole multi year project is held back  in a particular version, so that everyone can access and modify. By having a browser based version everyone would be on the same version and if a new feature is available will be pushed immediately as point 1 above.

This is a problem that has been created by Autodesk to F*!@ the end user they are all about profits Autodesks Greed is alarming.  Wonder when they are going to get hit with antitrust  case like Microsoft did 20 years ago.

• Hardware could be maintained on the server end (Autodesk) while the only issue from the user end would be connection and connection speed. 

Since hardware requirements are minimal you can pick up a windows PC for about $300 that could easily serve up Revit for you via Team Viewer, Microsoft Remote Desktop, HP remote graphics software, etc.

• Price may become cheaper as legal end user who pay their subscriptions aren't paying for illegal users who pirate cracked versions of the software, as Autodesk will be able to better control right of use.

This is the lie they tell you that if software was not pirated we could offer it for a cheaper price.  The only thing less pirating is going to give is more money to the share holders.

• Easier sharing of content like family's between users (if they allow) and suppliers with others. saving time of each user redesigning the same particular family.

There are many sites out there already that allow you to share content people choose not to share their content or try and charge for it.   Lots of manufactures provide their products for free to you.

• Autodesk (Revit team) better able to determine which features to prioritize  and develop through data of what tools are being used by end users, thus they are able to expand on and develop new tools to assist end users accomplish tasks quicker and easier.

In my 17 years of using Revit I have seen very few tools added to the software, the vast majority of features added are quality of life improvements and them adding ability's to tools that other tools have had for years.   People have been begging for better site tools for as long as I have used Revit site tools are still the suck. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report