Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert-Link Navis NWC files directly into Revit

Insert-Link Navis NWC files directly into Revit

It would be nice to be able to insert/link Navis NWC files directly into Revit. This would satify the need when you don't get Revit models from Owners or Outside consultants. The ability to bring the 3D geometry from NWC would be terrific. Right now we can only look at it all together in Navisworks following the modeling effort which is not very efficient

Thanks Smiley Happy

20 Comments
TFuller1980
Advocate

The AutoCAD 2016 feature of seeing a Navisworks or BIM360 model inside of AutoCAD is awesome. No, can we get that for Revit? That could possibly have shaved off hundred of hours of importing generic exploded PLant3D models back into Revit on one recent project. This would be a huge bonus for multi-platform design teams. 

Tags (5)
SeanSpence
Advocate

YES YES YES,

Quite often we only need something to rout against. NWC models are a fraction of the size of Revit models. having the ability to add an NWC in when we don't need all the extra stuff and processing that comes along with an attached Revit model would improve model performance substantially.

(We can do this now with a (dumb) 3D Cad file, but its an extra step. we already make the NWCs for clash detection in Navis. This feature would be very handy)

nwakeman
Enthusiast

Agree! A two way street would be much more functional.

dgorsman
Consultant

Given that NWD is more likely to be shared, as Freedom doesn't require a license, time-bombed, locked from re-publishing, etc., that format should also be available.  Even if NWD is the only Navisworks format supported if you can work with NWC then publishing to NWD is a small, if extra, step.

I fully endorse this idea

rchnorton
Enthusiast

I'm going to strongly agree with the ability to link in NWC's. At present models some models for our current project contain in excess of 45 linked models to fully federate the design. The ability to use lightweight NWC's in place of Revit models would increase performance for both design and review.

YZhuang_Spectech
Advocate

Recently, we have come across an issue where all disciplines submitted their Revit Models, and clash detection was run on them. The resulting files came back to us as a bunch of pictures which showed a clash between 2 objects, but didnt show where those objects where (20 floor building, couldnt tell the floor it was on, and no walls to show me a general area, just 2 objects and where they clashed), and a .nwd file (navisworks), and this is a software my company doesnt own. I looked high and low for a way to be able to import the .nwd file into my Revit Model so that I could directly locate the areas of concern, but to my suprise, there was nothing to be found.

In short, and option to import navisworks files would be HUGE for collaboration purposes, as well as modeling around these clashes in real time rather than having to run clash detection again to see if it fixed the problem. I believe this would be an extremely useful tool for most everyone who uses a collab between Revit and Navisworks.

WKopp
Contributor

Fully support your suggestion: It should be made possible by Autodesk that the clashes from Navisworks can be imported into Revit. I know for a fact that it works because private apps are around but not accessible unfortunately.

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

SeanSpence
Advocate

RIGHT ON!! Thanks @apaupert & @harlan_brumm

rchnorton
Enthusiast

Fantastic news! Now when can we expect the functionality to be added?

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Hi Everyone,

I'm pleased to say that this idea is now implemented and available in Revit 2018.  You can learn more about it in the help here: http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2018/ENU/?guid=GUID-4E489B91-C1C6-4733-AC82-3CE639F6A07A  Thanks for your votes and ideas!

The Factory

SeanSpence
Advocate

@harlan_brumm Why isn't there a Navis works Idea page? There are ideas that live on the revit idea page that are more suited to Navisworks that don't get the votes they deserve because they aren't accessible by the people using the software.

Would an idea in the Revit ideas to add a navisworks idea page get any attention from autodesk?

quanghien3009
Observer

How about for old version revit ( 2015, 2016, 2017) ? How can I import nwc to revit 2015 or autodesk did not support ?

MichaelWolff
Advisor

@harlan_brumm If you could measure things in linked coordination models you could actually call it coordination model. Right now you still have to get out of Revit and into Navisworks to check how much clear space there is under that duct that suddenly protruded from the ceiling.

harlan_brumm
Autodesk

Thanks @MichaelWolff for the comments.  Appreciate the  feedback about this functionality for sure.  

SeanSpence
Advocate

I am going through this right now. I have to jump back and forth to locate HUNDREDS of pieces of equipment from a navis works file generated by a competitors BIM software. (Its nice they use your software though for coordination) its very very tedious. But it is easier now that it is linked to Revit.
If we could click the elements and see their navisworks associated BIM Data along with the dimensioning, that would be an enormous help too. The Navis works file sure does help get their stuff in there. linking a process cad file that big into revit just crashes things. So big kudos to you @harlan_brumm and your team for making that happen in the first place. Us users a fickle people though... were never happy:) we want more!!! 🙂 Thanks again. NWD in RVT is a big game changer.

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

SeanSpence
Advocate

@Tarek_K The original idea for this has already been implemented. there are other items though that were raised in the comments section of this tread that could be added as new enhancements. Is that why you revised it to Gathering support. I would think that it would be better to close this tread than to hope people will find the suggestions.

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report