Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy legend

copy legend

Hi,

please let us copy legends. It is so **** anyoing. I know and understand that i cant have the same legend on one sheet but i dont want to paste the legend on the same sheet again. I want to paste the legend on another view at the same spot. Its a shame that i cant align legends or views on a sheet. I know there is the guide grid but you are not able to just pick the outline from one view and align another view to it. But i post that idea in another thread.

So back to topic. Let us copy/past legends like we can do it with shedules.

Greetings

Lennart Schlueter

70 Comments
cindy_wang
Autodesk

Insert legends from other models (including family content in legend).

suggested by: Perkins+Will

andrewharle8552
Enthusiast

Agree it's annoying.  We have an add-in written in house that we use to copy such elements between sheets, but that shouldn't be necessary.

dhenke1
Contributor

No reason we shouldn't be able to copy / paste Legends from clipboard sheet to sheet.  I will expect to see this Autodesk fix in 10 years if it's anything like the text formatting issue.  

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

The Factory

richardsachs4475
Enthusiast

It should be possible to insert legends from one project to another. I can almost understand if it has legend components maybe you wouldn't be able to. But similar to sheets with a mix of drafting views and detail views only include those legends that don't have legend components in the dialog. We have plenty of legends that might just be symbols, text and drafting, these should no different than drafting views.

Tags (2)
dazza1639
Advocate

We copy our graphical legends to a drafting view then save the drafting view to a Legends project. we then use this to copy/paste the items from a drafting view in the legends project to a legend view in the current project. We use a lot of legend views for flashing isometric sketches and other random uses, none of these legend views contain anything other than linework or text. Oblique dimensions would be a useful addition for this aid in creating the isometric sketches. 

damo3
Advisor

In the meantime, this addin work great. It's written for an old version, but I am using 2017.1 and it still works fine. 

https://lmnarchitects.com/tech-studio/bim/copying-legends-and-schedules-in-revit/

lionel.kai
Advisor

@damo3 BTW, there is an updated version on github (but I don't think much changed):

https://github.com/logant?tab=repositories

And his NoPlot is the one add-in that we can't live without! We also use his Viewport Renumber (even though there are other addins that do it), and ContentLinks. (you also need the "RevitCommon" for some/all? of the others)

schlueter
Advocate

@lionel.kai

For no plot things we use a dynamo script befor print.

I downloaded the copy legend repositorie but i can't get it to run. How do i install the add in and wehre is it in revit?

To install the plugin, unzip the provided file and copy the two files within the ZIP (ie the .ADDIN and .DLL) to your computer at either C:ProgramDataAutodeskRevitAddins[Version] or to C:users[UserName]AppDataRoamingAutodeskRevitAddins[Version].  You may also want to check that the files are not blocked by right clicking on the DLL and going to it’s properties.  If there’s an Unblock button be sure to unblock it before trying to use it.

Tried this but it did not work.

lionel.kai
Advisor

It looks like that .zip is all you need (he's bundled RevitCommon in it now). Are you having trouble finding your add-ins path ("C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2017\", etc.)? What error do you get? The tools show up on the "LMN" tab, but you can customize that. Did you "Unblock" both DLLs as instructed (right-click > Properties, then click "Unblock")?

schlueter
Advocate

@lionel.kai

Got the wrong path. Now its working. Thanks its a great addon. Now i have another addon in the ribbonbar but its worth it. So sad, that we need so much addons for so simple things.

Offtopic:

Why is there a new ribbon for every addon. Any chance that i can group them in the addin ribbon?

lionel.kai
Advisor

@schlueter  Launch the app. Click to put the cursor in the "Contains" text field. Press Ctrl-u. A little dialog will pop up where you can customize the Tab Name and Panel Name. The same works for his NoPlot (separate setting) and Viewport Renumber follows one of the other two. I put them on our custom "KAI" tab in an "LMN Tools" panel, but you can put it on the Add-Ins tab also. NOTE: the location will get reset when you install an update (so you'll need to make the changes again).

schlueter
Advocate

@lionel.kai

Thanks. That worked but now it looks like this :D.... Zusatzmodule = Addins

2017-03-17_09h38_21.jpg

Ok then ill stick to LMN 😉

lionel.kai
Advisor

That's strange. It works fine on mine. Maybe you should just install the English language version of Revit instead? 😉

But seriously, maybe try actually using the English tab name: "Add-Ins" (make sure you get the exact spelling). I'm thinking it might be possible that Revit's comparing the custom tab name ("Zusatzmodule") with the internal "Add-Ins" name (and seeing them as different), then replacing "Add-Ins" with the localized "Zusatzmodule" at a different (later) time?

If that doesn't work, let me know.

schlueter
Advocate

@lionel.kai

That worked perfectly. Thanks.

Anyway.... it's still sad, that we need to use a plugin for this. We bought an expensive software and we need another 7 Plug-Ins for a "no timewaste workflow" and these cost money too. 😞

sasha.crotty
Community Manager

@schlueter, one of the primary reasons we expose an API is so that our partners and customers can solve problems in efficient ways. This is a great example of that in action.

lionel.kai
Advisor

@sasha.crotty I appreciate that, and I'm glad for the API (although I wish it were more extensive). However, one of the issues it creates is having to manage all these disparate add-ins (and hope that they continue to be maintained and/or don't "break" with the next version upgrade - which the NoPlot mentioned in a previous post did briefly in 2015 - at least for us). I try to avoid depending on add-ins (for that reason & the following). Different vendors do configurations in different ways, and it becomes a pain to configure all the workstations for a common interface. Sometimes simple changes (by Autodesk) could avoid thousands of man-hours being lost in companies around the world (through workarounds and/or creating AND managing add-ins to "solve problems in efficient ways").

Also, sometimes the API can only do so much. You can't add another option to the "Layout Rule" property of Beam Systems, for example:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/add-a-quot-fixed-distance-minimize-number-of-joists-quot-...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/add-a-quot-centered-space-quot-justification-option-for-b...

So maybe I could use the API to create an add-in to automate the workaround described in the 2nd link above, but then I have to worry about what happens when the boundary changes. Hopefully I'd be able to hook in to an event so that I could reposition the beams (if needed), or switch back to the built-in "Center" Justification, but all that takes time, and customizing Revit is not as simple as writing LISP to customize AutoCAD (which I did extensively). For example, I've only recently started exploring the API for creating keyboard shortcuts to insert particular Detail Components (and it's been YEARS since we've had the capability to assign keyboard shortcuts to custom add-ins), but it's not as simple as "(command "_insert" ...)" (in LISP). 🙂 All this while spending effort to just get jobs out the door...

SteveChing4507
Advocate

The ability to copy & paste legend views between sheets would save considerable time.

It would also be useful if the scale of the legends can be ignored from the titleblock scale parameter, particularly when legends relate to views of a differing scale.

Tags (1)
tstorzuk
Advocate

Loading Error Message-02.pngI get an error message after dropping the files into the correct folder (C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2017\). It's shown on the left. Not sure what I'd have to do to manage to get this working. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor

Legend Component canèt be copy pasted between projects. I suggest allowing this and importing the associated family  into the project when the Legend Component is copied.

We have a library of wall details using Detail components and we'd like to copy paste it into projects instead of putting all these walls and details into every projects.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report