Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve Line Weights for small scale drawings - Remove .003" limit

Improve Line Weights for small scale drawings - Remove .003" limit

Currently Revit has a Hard limit of .083mm (see Thinnest Line Weight) when printing. This is perfectly acceptable for large scale drawings but not for 11 x 17 format. Autocad allows users to print down to 0.25mm and offers additional line weight control through screening. Revit should remove the .083 hard limit, which is especially confusing since the limit in the lineweight settings appears to be .001" or 0.0254mm. This is especially apparent when printing to PDF.

Light weights are one of the basic functions of any drafting program. It should be done well, and Revit should represent an improvement on Autocad not a step back!

38 Comments
dbroad
Mentor

Corrections:  Ths smallest line weight in AutoCAD 0.00 mm (0.25mm is probably a typo in your idea). That probably tells the printer to print as thin as possible.  I've never used a line weight below 0.05mm. Seems like a reasonable idea though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your are absolutely right that was a typ-o. The smallest line weight is 0.025mm, discounting 0.00mm which I presume produces a vector without any line weight assigned or an invisible line. For small scale drawings, 11 x 17, furniture won't look good unless you use the smallest 0.025 line weight. See screen shot below:

REVIT AUTOCAD LINEWEIGHTS.jpg

fg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I agree completely. The Revit limitation is a considerable hindrance in getting larger scaled details to look nice. Another manifestation of this problem is when you have thin lines close together. Ideally it is nice to not have to separate lines too much beyond the actual material thicknesses, but the Revit minimum thickness forces one to separate lines much more than autocad
dnenov
Contributor

Can we get that voted, please! I have been hoping to see this change for years and years. 

dbroad
Mentor

@Anonymous Lineweight 0.0 lets the printer print the line as thin as possible for that printer and doesn't limit that by specifying a minimum width.  It is still visible but as faint as possible for each printer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Printing thinner than 0,09mm is no longer possible in Revit. It should be.

dnenov
Contributor

When was it possible? Was there a moment in time that it was possible? I've been working with Revit since 2006, I don't remember being able to print at 0.00 ever. 

By the way, I understand the potential logic behind this limitation - someone somewhere asked "How much should we make the minimum lightweight?" and someone else answered "Well, what's the minimum that a Plotter can plot nowadays?". Might have been smart at the time, who knows .. .

The point is, it no longer is, we need 0.00 lightweights! Make it happen guys, that's going to be a big Christmas Present for the whole Revit community around the World.

fg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I’m sure this made sense to somebod somehow, but remember that AutoCad has had no problems with thin lines and has had none for at least 20 years.hardly a day goes by when I don’t hear someone lament the drop in graphic quality one now has in Revit with respect to what they had before in AutoCad - and this is perhaps the biggest part of that.
dnenov
Contributor

Hallelujah, brother! Exactly the point - and is most probably extremely easy to fix, there's a lock somewhere that just trims the values to that threshold.

Vote, vote, vote people! Tell your friends, neighbors, acquaintances and strangers.

marquez_antonio
Explorer

I had this idea on hold on my mind since more than a couple of years ago now, I just never found the time to write it down until now, and I´ve been amazed seeing your post.

Not having a thinner minimum line weight (As Autocad) can cause big troubles and I would like to let you know a little story (good reason) about it.

More than 3 years ago I was working on the design of a Skyscraper in Elephant and Castle in Revit, this project had the planning approval from around 10 years ago but for some reasons was on hold for around 7 years (when they where working with Microstation), so, we needed to submit the drawings again for planning approval after all these years for obvious reasons. 

As Revit did not have a similar line weight as Microstation (or autocad),  and the planners approved the old drawings, we wanted to submit drawings as similar as possible to the ones they approved. So we had to redo (Adapt) all the Revit drawings in Microstation (with thin lines) and the client was charged more than £30k just because Revit did not have thinner lines.

Please make this happen!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

I agree, we need to make Autodesk change this so that the lines can be printed as thin and nice as in AutoCAD because we want to be able to do beautiful 2D drawings in Revit as well!

christopher_holden
Enthusiast

There sems to be a lot of confusion above. The simple facts are:

1. The thinnest line you can SET in Revit is 0.025mm (Manage->Additional Settings->Line Weights)

2. The thinnest line you can PRINT in revit is 0.083mm (about 3x thicker!)as per Autodesks admission here link

This is utterly absurd. Why should I not be able to priint any line weight I can set in Revit? As far as I am concerned this either a serious bug or a gross oversight on Autodesk's part since there is NO technical reason it is not possible - even that old dinosaur AutoCAD CAN do it.

This is seriously hampering my ability to produce decent looking drawings since the hatch pattern in elements such as cut walls is fixed to line weight number one which I require to be 0.025mm as I have set it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely agreed!!! If we can get some more votes, perhaps we can get this to Autodesk's attention. This should be an easy fix on their part!

The work around is to produce drawings at a larger scale and then scale them down, ie to print a 22 X 34 PDF and scale down to 11 x 17. 

dnenov
Contributor

My voice is raw from screaming about this issue! 

I still don't understand if Autodesk actually gets how much popularity their flagship product will gain from this little change. I kid you not - hundreds of thousands of people in all sorts of meeting rooms will go "Aaahh!" the moment this happens. It's that big a deal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's why I started this post, but we only have 27 likes! Lets get the word out and see if we can get some more attention. I was told the more likes, the more likely this issue will be addressed. I can post a link to like this post  on my linked in and facebook and I suggest everyone do the same. Thanks!

dnenov
Contributor

If that's not a worthy cause, I don't know what is - I'll post it on my LinkedIn. I've already posted in Twitter a while back. 

What's the Link that you would use, @Anonymous ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would link to this post https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/improve-line-weights-for-small-scale-drawings-remove-003-... That way people can give it a quick vote. Thanks!

echeung10
Observer

@christopher_holden

Thanks for your clarification! 

I certainly was not aware of the difference between the screen and print lineweight! 

That's why I was having immense trouble with printing the detail elements on our PDFs... even if I have set all my lineweights to 0.025mm. 

I think this limitation also has an impact on the export to AutoCAD - some linework goes missing on the exported dwg file. 

Why can we not print as Thin Line display? 

Arthur..G
Enthusiast

I don't think many of people aware of this issue, until you open the PDF using illustrator. A lot of people just "trust" Revit, as they warn you that the minimum line weight is 0.025mm when you are typing line weight lower than 0.025mm, people will assume that is what they are getting, as that is what you see on your screen using the thin lines command. So much for what you see is what you get.

Totally agree with @christopher_holden, this is the most absurd thing about Revit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reposting a comment I made in another thread:

This minimum lineweight issue has held up adoption of Revit in my company for years. The directors take one look at the Revit drawings and say they are 'too ugly'. Our CAD presentation linework relies heavily on very thin lines to look good and Revit is incapable of outputting these thin lines to PDF.

Given that Revit 'appears' to allow lineweights down to 0.025mm, this issue feels like a bug that should have been rectified years ago.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report