Revit Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Revit team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

Being able to Select All Instances of a particular element, say a Wall Type, for instance, while in Group Editing model.

Such would allow for changing instance parameters in bulk quicker.

Automatic Wall Section Details

by Explorer ShaunMHughes on ‎03-16-2017 07:01 AM

I would like to request a "button" in the wall Edit Assembly dialog box that would take the plan section view of the wall and create a 2d section drawing for my wall types. I have attached the screen showing the build up of a wall. I really want to put that wall on a sheet and then notate the various layers and doing so now would require that I annotate in 2d each layer when Revit already shows me the various layers in the edit assembly box.

It would be better for modeling contours if you could draw it by spline, isolines that enclose a region, and elevation points simultaneously.

Point are great but there is a lot of situations were the triangles that are generated by points don't behave the way you want without adding a bunch of points more.

Dimensions on linked DWG file gets lost after updating the dwg file

by Advocate schlueter on ‎03-16-2017 01:27 AM - last edited on ‎03-16-2017 01:28 AM |

Hi,

we did a supportrequest last year about dimensions on linked dwg file get lost if we reload the changed dwg file in the project. Still there is no way of preventing this behavior.

So lets do another idea-post.

We do alot of project development and we build alot in existing buildings (sorry don't know the correct english term). So there are always dwg files of the building and its not economically to redraw the building in revit. So we work with linked dwgs in our project (sometimes with a container .rtv for dwg files).

But if you make changes in the dwg file and reload it into revit all the dimensions on the dwg file get lost.

I made a screencast of it:

http://autode.sk/1WKxeSN

So it does not matter what you change in the dwg its always losing every dimension on it.

Would be nice if the dimension would still exist after updating the dwg file. At least give us the chance to see what dimension gets deleted or what dimension need a new reference. At the moment you can just hit delete and like we say in german look for the needle in the haystack.

Found this fourm post. Its the same behavior but in other disciplins and with civil 3d.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/revit-loses-dimensions-annotations-when-link...

But to be honest.... the marked solution can't be the solution. We want to make money with our projects and not lose it in time wasting work we need to do because revit can't handle dwg files.

schlueter

Metric System wrongly used

by Community Visitor estherran.biz on ‎03-15-2017 12:41 PM

As a Latina architect, I have used the metric system for years before I moved to the United States. The wrong use of the metric system have caused million dollar mistakes to this country in the past, for example the loss of a spacecraft. I do not think NASA uses the millimeter as a base unit for measurement!

Why do you recommend the use of the millimeter in the metric system as the base unit for engineering and architectural drawings? I am astonished when I see how bad the system is used and when I listened seminars, watch tutorials, and read your books using mistakenly the millimeter.

The millimeter is used in exceptions such drawing 1:1 scale for example to draw a nut or a bolt. I am sure that this situation is causing confusion but probably it is not too late to change the metric system using the meter as the base unit. A door, for example, is not 800 millimeters but it is 80 centimeters or .80 meters. After one meter, the centimeters is not the base unit anymore and the meter becomes the base unit, for example, 1.50 meters or 325. 80 meters.

I used in South America the comma for decimals and period for thousand and million. Besides we work clockwise as positive input and counterclockwise as the negative input, but if we have to use wrongly the metric system, the situation becomes very confusing. An urban plan supposed to be in millimeters also? Even a building will have millions of millimeters? In these cases the results will be astronomic. Every time that I notice the mistake, I feel discourage because your important company is the forerunner in drafting software and you are leading this ugly mistake recommending it to people involved in the use of your  multiple software.

I have used for years AutoCAD, Architectural Desktop, 3D Studio Max, Revit, and other software using the imperial system but when I see the use of these software in the metric system, the use is WRONG! I hope my comment would be useful. Thank you for your time.

I am archiving this issue as it it possible to set the unit in a Revit project to anything that is desired. If there are specific suggestions for different templates, etc please feel free to file those as separate ideas.

The Problem:

When creating residential block layouts we have Rooms and then Flats the rooms are in. We can use Revit Rooms for rooms and then Revit Areas for the whole flat. The Area creation and updating is more time-consuming than that of a Room.

The Idea:

Have another type of Revit Room named Unit for example that follows a different set of automatic rules in terms of boundaries. Walls can have a "partition" property for example so specific types of walls will be "Unit bounding" and others not. This way it would be possible to drop a Revit Unit in a Floor Plan and it would pick up any external walls and walls that are set to "Unit Bounding" (by type and not individually as the Room Bounding works).

Also Revit Rooms should be "Unit Aware" so we can get data from the Unit to the Room level and to other elements like doors and windows without having to use Dynamo or other tools.

English

I want to figure out a problem when I insert a topography points file in a geolocalised file.

In fact when I insert thus points, they are based on the origine point of Revit instead of the Survey point. For the moment the only solution is to substract the Survey point's coordinates to the importing points.

So, it will be better if we have an option to select the origin of the importing point usch as base point or Survey point instead of the origine point of Revit.

French

Lors de l’insertion d’un plan topographique avec des points géo-référencés, ces derniers prennent pour origine l’origine de Revit. Il serait bien d’avoir une option qui permette de sélectionner l’origine d’insertion des points (point de base de projet ou point topographique). Pour l’instant la solution est de soustraire aux coordonnées des points topographiques à importer les coordonnées du point topographique de Revit.

View Template keyboard shortcut

by Collaborator lionel.kai on ‎03-07-2017 05:18 PM - last edited on ‎03-07-2017 05:45 PM |

I'd like to be able to make a keyboard shortcut to bring up the View Template dialog for the active view's template (if any), just as if I'd clicked on the button in the Properties Panel.

You can currently create a shortcut for Manage View Templates (on a pull-down in the View tab), but that doesn't behave like clicking the button in Properties (i.e. the correct template doesn't get selected).

http://autode.sk/28ZBV5t (starting at 1:45)

NOTE: this is a re-posted (and separated) idea from:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/better-implementation-of-view-range-keyboard-shortcut-and...

and this could also be handled by the implementation of this idea:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/keyboard-shortcuts-for-all-buttons-in-properties-panel/id...

Concrete beams

by Contributor roi on ‎02-26-2017 02:09 PM
You must change the default join order of concrete beams they are all wrong regarding columns!!

We have a few projects that have multiple buildings and some of the buildings panelboards are fed from other buildings panelboards within the project. Each building is set up as it's own Revit project.  It would be nice if we could link in the project that has it's panelboard fed from the current projects panelboard, copy/monitor the panelboard and have the loads from that panelboard follow through to the current project.  Also to maintain the relationship between these panelboards so if the panelboard loads change from the project being fed from the current projects panelboard, the loads would update accordingly.

Currently we create a "dummy" panelboard in the current project and then create "dummy" electrical connectors for each phase of the panelboard.  We then circuit the "dummy" panelboard to the panelboard in the current project that its being fed from.  But if the loads change in the panelboard being fed from the current project, they have to be manually updated in the current project.

To me, reveal hidden elements does not really reveal hidden elements. Sure, it reveals elements that were turned of categorically and individually, but what about those that were turned off via Workset or Filter or by other means? Reveal Hidden Elements does not do that.

In addition to the following requests on this forum:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/reveal-overridden-elements/idi-p/6364095

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/visually-differentiate-manually-hidden-elements-from-hidd...

I think Reveal Hidden Elements needs to go further. Perhaps something similar to the Worksharing Display where it color codes elements that are hidden by category, individually, workset, filter, etc. 

Feel free to add to this if you like

Link Color Override

by Contributor DMK™ on ‎03-10-2017 12:17 AM

It will be helpful an ability to add color override option for full link. In the same way, as we have halftone or underlay option. 

It will be useful to quickly paint for ex. different subcontractor's models

Align + Copy

by Participant iftah on ‎03-08-2017 11:57 PM

instead of copying an element and then aligning it, would be nice to be able to just align it and check a "copy" box.

PDF Publish in Background

by Enthusiast rmarkowitz on ‎03-02-2017 04:23 PM

Hi - I would love to see Revit be able to publish PDFs (and DWGs for that matter) in the background. Currently one must print to a PDF, but that gums up all of Revit for the duration of the print job. 

closing and trimming borders of ceiling

by Explorer carolaaquino on ‎02-28-2017 06:18 PM - last edited on ‎02-28-2017 06:29 PM |

When we design ceilings in the Revit, we do not have an option or a command that allows us to create a vertical finishes on the ceiling as pictured below.

I know we can execute this process through fascias or profiles of generic models, but I believe it would be more intuitive ir the option of drawing "ceiling" had this option, as we have the option of sweep and reveal in the command "wall"

download.jpg

It would be great to have the simple search functionality in both the OmniClass and Assembly code dialog box so you can simply search for a keyword to find what element you are trying to find the code for rather than expanding out all your guesses trying to find the correct code. I imagine this would be easy for the factory to do, similar to the search function in the Project Browser.

Please!

While your at it, We are able to add assembly codes to elements through a Revit Schedule but not OmniClass. If this could be changed so we could add OmniClass info through a Revit Schedule rather than have to open each family to add, this would also be beneficial.

It's nice to have the "File Path" parameter for use by Labels in Titleblocks. This currently tells us the user who made the print, as well as the project number and Revit version (because of our file & folder naming conventions). However, I think it would be more useful to have a "Central File Path" parameter (along with a "User Name" parameter so we don't loose that information without having to show both paths). Sometimes the file name is not a complete indication of the location of the central file (especially on more complex projects).

Shortcut View closing

by Participant LUCAGUERRA8520 on ‎02-17-2017 07:46 AM

When there are several views open, I'd like to close them using a shortcut. One at a time, not all together of course and not using the mouse. I suppose it won't be too difficult to insert this feature in next release.

On behalf of a German user a wish about enhancing the "Miter" join between beams. 

Currently the Miter join for beams is not available in case the cross-section of the beam is rotated:

2017-02-17_1409.png

Wish allowing the miter joins for beams without restrictions regarding the cross-section rotation settings.

ps- As workaround it is possible to create the miter joins thorugh cutting the geometry of the beams along reference planse that were created exactly on the position of the miters.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube