Revit Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Revit team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

I build a lot of parametric families for the company I work for, quite literally 1,000's per year.  I take it as a personal challenge to make a part with the least number of user inputs and the greatest amount of accuracy I can.  The screenshot below is an example of a Medical Gas alarm panel, 3 of them actually.  Of course it's a parametric model, based on the number of nozzles it has, they change dimension in the X and Y axis, and number of ports available.  

It would make families much cleaner in these situations if a connector can be turned off or disabled from use, driven by check mark, or any other method of formula to automate this!  This would also reduce confusion to our detailers having random floating connectors they aren't supposed to use anyway.

I realize I could save copies of each version with the connectors deleted and additional nozzles deleted, but come on, we could also just stay detailing with AutoCAD and inserting dumb (stupid) blocks, because that's essentially the same thing.

powerexalarm.jpg

Hi folks,

Few days ago i talk with a company with spezialisation in softwaredevelopment to calculate windows, facades, doors or glassroofs..(Logical). They told me, that they have a very awesome tool to creat every kind of window in seconds in Revit.

please look the video - i love this tool - it is a musthave for the REVIT CORE

sorry, i started this idea in the community-idea-forum. but here it is right. I hope for your votes.

Great regard
Heinrich Boldt
Germany, Osnabrück :)

Lets start with telling me dynamically if I am routing through different (selectable) elements, like beams, columns, pipes and ducts but not walls. Its important for this to work with Linked files and highlight them on the fly. 

Secondly, routing solutions should avoid these items as well (with a toggle). Solutions generated should route around other elements without creating a clash. Waypoints could help this process by creating 3d locations that you would like to route through (like an opening you would like to route through).

At a deeper level we should start thinking of ways to implement Local and international code based rules into Architectural & MEP modeling. For example trap arm distances for plumbing. or stay within 1-5/8" of the bottom of deck, or offset around structural elements and other MEP systems, pipe slope based on size, distance and system type. Rules that can be dictated and changed and warn your when there is a violation. 

If we are going for pie-in-the-sky- revit could use a major overhaul (Revit user since 2006)

This is in 5 parts:

1. Family categories open for editing/purging -base system components remain with GUIDs intact
    • Family-dependent subcategories with their own GUID- Creating "door.frame" makes the "frame" compatible with all "door" family types, scheduled by its own subtype, or as a subtype of door (e.g. door schedule parameter door.frame[all subcategories of door available here to door.frame]
  1. Linetypes editable//accessible by GUID in the linetype editor:
    • Show/ Use [None |<System> | NickName |  Generative]
      1. None= not allowed/shown for use in this project
      2. <System>=use default system name (greyed out for non-system items)
      3. NickName to show user-defined names for sets
      4. Generative = use generative system to generate names and sets (Given formula and data generate line type and name them by a formula)
    • Substitute Linteype (For each non-conforming linetype)
      1. Map unused linetypes to the next adjacent
      2. Map imported mismatched linetypes to those allowed
      3. [conform] to permanently re-map the linetype
      4. [Save] list mappings [GUIDs -> Remapped]
  1. All components are shared and reliant upon #1 to identify family sub-content. Sub-content can be brought into a family along with generic annotations.
  2. Open database allows for any component and host components in families to be referenced using intellisense. E.g. in a door family, the "host<WALL>.structure.core.width" is accessible as a variable, as would be " host<WALL>.structure.core[1].material.identity.type
  3. Database integrated and accessible on a LIVE bases - e.g. Built into SQL
    • where database can be queried,
    • or manipulated by an outside source.
    • Common database lookup could provide 'open source' subfamilies with common GUIDs provided VIA blessed content by Autodesk for use by all (Translated options available for "Nicknames" - GUIDS remain the same for same content- us Machine learning to map across languages and concepts).

VB style formulas with VB functions (Including concatenate, string manipulation and REGEX!)

All menu and components can be modified/remapped - e.g.

• coarse/med/fine can be remapped and supplemented: LOD100<Coarse>, LOD200<med>, LOD300, LOD400<fine>, LOD500
  • Profiles and other components can tie into this system using the <SYSTEM> names or NickNames (Nick names appears on the list)

And soforth- a complete overhaul.

Create Reference Planes in 3D view

by Mentor on ‎03-22-2017 12:49 AM

When dealing with complex geometry, it is crucial to be able to create Reference Planes in 3D view, by either pick a pre-existing planar face, or pick 3 points (similar to AutoCAD's 3-point UCS).  

Copy Monitor

by Contributor rana.hamed on ‎03-22-2017 05:39 AM

Why Revit is not able to mention the source of each copy/monitored item (ID for example) and the source file too.

This is too confusing case if we are having a lot of linked files and each file may have similar data (as Grids) , finally I can not check the source file that the user has just used in the copy/monitor process.

Dear Autodesk,

Please allow us to add multiple links at one time, this is when links share the same shared coordinates system or insertion point.

We work on large scale projects with sometime 35-70 links, the files are nested with shared coordinates, When creating master plans or nesting the consultants files it would be fantastic if I could link in one go rather than having to link one at a time.

Even if the links needed to be moved to the correct internal location, linking multiple would save us time.

Thanks, and I hope others would love this function too!

Wall type schedules generally comprise the make-up of a wall..ie. Plasterboard lining/stud framing/cavity/brick.

We would like to access the functional layers for scheduling please.

We need to be able to schedule:
Layer function
Layer material
Layer thickness

Also, to schedule if that layer is internal, core, or external.

For material layer we need access to all material parameters (ie. Mark, comments, description).

Currently we have to input this info as text parameters which requires thorough manual checking against the wall type parameters.
Lets get BIM into our schedules & save everyone the headache.

In fact, this would be useful for all system families; walls, floors, ceilings, roofs...

Revit needs to come up with more comprehensive definitions on curtain wall’s reference plane and offsets of mullions and panels.  Currently, there are simply too many variables that can confuse the users.  For example, the offset of mullions is described as being measured from panels, but this is not accurate because the panels themselves can be offset from the reference line.  It also depends on how the mullion profile is drawn in the profile family; Revit's default rectangular mullion profile, which cannot be accessed for editing, is centered on the curtain wall reference plane.  But a custom mullion profile using the profile-mullion family template can be drawn off-centered, such that the center line of front/back can be conceived as the face of glass, if the relationship of the glass and the mullion is so designed.

The confusion arises from the too many variables that are loosely (or wrongly) defined.  What Revit should do is to come up with a common rule and eliminate few variables.  For example, Revit can eliminate the offset parameter of the mullion profile and instead let the position of the mullion defined in the profile.  Or Revit can rule that the face of panel is always be aligned and locked in with the curtain wall reference plane, while the users can control the offset of the mullions.  Once the variables are minimized and the rule is set up, it is easy for the users to understand the absolute reference from which every curtain wall elements are measured from.

This will lessen the misguided modelling of the curtain walls which can be prevalent in the work-sharing nature of the Revit model.

Revit build number check

by Participant mark.ratcliff on ‎03-21-2017 12:54 AM

We have had problems with file corruption of central models because people have edited it with different build numbers(updates) of Revit.Whilst I realise that this is an internal software control problem, we are a worldwide organisation and it can be difficult to ensure that everyone updates at the same time.

I think it would be a good idea, if Revit checked the build number when opening a file and showed a warning if the numbers don't match.

Better Topography tools

by Contributor tauber on ‎03-20-2017 09:40 AM

It'd be great to have some more options when it comes to topography

• Drawing a floor in plan view, using the pick lines tool should be able to grab a contour edge.
  • Clearer method of establishing 'boundary' and 'interior' points.. currently if you accidentally delete a boundary point, it'll delete every point that is outside the new boundary.  
  • better, bi-directional association with Infraworks.  
    • should be able to select a region of Infraworks and have that associated as the 'site' in the revit model.

Underlay Linked Files

by Explorer lee on ‎03-22-2017 07:03 AM

It would be very useful if we could underlay linked files, especially on floor plans where we also need to show the ceiling.

Any project with plan angles other than 90 degrees inevitably ends up with modeled elements off axis.....this usually starts with walls being slightly off with an angle like 30.000000001 which is just enough to completely screw up the entire model....other model elements snap to this wall and suddenly elevations are messed up, you can't snap dimensions, etc. etc.  And it propagates through the entire model very quickly.  Sometimes you don't even know until it's too late because dimensions always round to whatever precision they're settings are set to and will tell you the angle is 30 degrees when it's really not EXACTLY 30 degrees.

When this happens I wish for a rotation parameter/property - similar to AutoCAD.  When you select an element, any kind of element - system family, component family, etc., it should have a parameter for rotation displayed on the properties palette.  Then you can see if it is anything other than EXACTLY 30 degrees and if it is something weird like 30.xxx-xxxxxxxx then you can click in that field and CHANGE the rotation to EXACTLY 30 degrees with 100% precision.  This would fix the "slightly off axis" problem.....and the domino effect of problems that follow....

Currently, when in the family environment, we can "Paint" surfaces of elements with Family [material] Parameters using the Paint tool.

What we need is the ability to do the same thing with Global [material] Parameters in the project environment.

For example, I can create a Global Parameter called "Dining Room Paint" and paint that parameter on all the Dining Room walls.  That way, when the client changes the paint color in the Dining Room, all I have to change is the Global Parameter.  Right now, I have to either have a Material dedicated to "Dining Room Paint" (and clog up the already slow material browser), or I have to go repaint all the Dining Room walls with the new color.

This feature would also allow us to synchronize our finish schedule with our model since we already create global parameters for all the room finishes and link our Room family parameters to those global parameters (this comes in handy for reporting room finishes in the schedule and keeping the cabinets and trim modeled in each room consistent with the schedule)

I would be great if Revit had Electrical Trunking as a system family. In the UK electrical trunking is widely used on projects.

At present the workarounds I have seen are using cable tray or ductwork. But neither are preferable.

2017-03-22_1301.png

want only to see the diagonal cross in the duct riser (rise drop symbol), not the bigger ortogonal cross that comes with the centerline.

Want to see the centerline everywhere but not in the rise/drop duct.

Currently the dialog "Overriding Visibility and Graphic" has very little interest when it is used in a sheet.
It would be desirable for a template to be made which will apply to all the views present in the sheet, for example, to mask all the working sections, to apply a particular filter to certain elements, etc.
This would greatly reduce the number seen, and thus the number of templates, necessary for all particular cases to be printed.
In Autocad, it is quite possible to have some layers frozen in "Space Paper" and not in "Space Object". Same thing for the colors ...

Integrated Detail Components

by Participant KellyASmith on ‎03-21-2017 02:11 PM

I have been using Revit for almost a decade and I have to say one of the most obvious things that could be a real time-saver would be 2 options in the materials dialog for cut patterns. 1 for a horizontal or "plan" cut and one for a vertical or "section" cut. Obviously detail components will always be needed for detailing, but wouldn't it be awesome if the fill patterns on the section cuts actually represented the materials for things like brick or block. Even if it wasn't a pattern but a way to associate specific detail components with that particular material. 

This can already be done in regular families, as well as some system families floors and roofs with deck profiles. From a programming standpoint Im sure it would be difficult but I'm sure it could be done. 

Line Styles, Weight & Colour

by Advocate Simon_Weel on ‎03-21-2017 01:36 AM

If you need a Line Pattern with different weight, you have to create a Line Style for every Line Weight. This can result in LOTS of Line Styles, which isn't very handy. One could use Override by Element to set a different line weight / colour but the problem is: there's no easy way to spot an elements override. A solution would be to display a lines colour and weight in the Properties Panel, with the ability to change those values.

Wish generated for Steve Belli at Entegra Eyrich & Appel GmbH - in German support case no.: 12784911 

Currently Revit uses one Hidden line style for all elements in a view if the "Show Hidden Lines" parameter of a view is set to "All".

Please, allow users to define different Hidden Line styles for the different Line styles used in views.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube