Revit Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Revit team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea
0 Kudos

Disappearing a curved line of a sweep family

by Participant yukicchi626 on ‎04-24-2017 11:15 PM - last edited on ‎04-24-2017 11:19 PM |

I noticed a sweep family such as a handrail with a curved corner had a disappointing result when I printed out.

In elevation view, the curved corner is still visible yet the line weight is a bit weak. 

However, it will disappear when I print out it. Revit shows accurate view as the handrail is getting away as it curves.

But I hope it won't trouble me on the print.

As temporary solutions for this issue,I added detail line for section view and a model short cylindrical column to make the line visible.

1.elevation.PNG2.Print Preview.PNG3.3D view.PNG4.family editor.PNG

0 Kudos

Electrical Connections in a Family

by Explorer jondan on ‎04-24-2017 12:32 PM - last edited on ‎04-24-2017 12:34 PM |

Per my needs listed below, allowing multi-selecting on the "Select Connector" pop-up would be all that would be necessary to fix my marina design woes in this area.

Briefly, to get marina electrical plans, circuiting, demanding, and loading to display properly for the client and per code's allowances, I need to:

• Have a Demand Factor to calculate by quantity - electrical connections must be powered on panel
  • Have every receptacle be demanded by quantity - (1) electrical connection per receptacle
  • Have a single shore power pedestal have multiple receptacles included - (1) family with multiple electrical connections
  • Have a single pedestal be powered by a single circuit - entire family (multiple electrical connections) powered by (1) circuit

As it currently stands, if I want to have more than one electrical connection in a family, I must assign one as the Primary connection, and one as the Secondary connection. I have need for a single family with multiple electrical connections (up to four), that can powered by the same circuit. This could be achieved easily simply by allowing multi-selecting on the "Select Connector" pop-up.

This is especially important when designing an electrical system for marinas. Marina shore power pedestals, as a single manufacturer-built assembly, can include multiple receptacles of various amperes and voltages. As a designer, for both consistency and efficiency's sake, I would desire to place the once assembly on the plan, with type/instance parameters dictating the actual orientation of receptacles. When considering the wiring of this pedestal, we design to have one feed hit this pedestal, so that all receptacles built within it are powered by one circuit.

Some might suggest to have one electrical connection to include any desired receptacle loads on it, but this is further complicated by the allowances of the NEC involving marina power design. 555.12 allows for demanding of the total power of the marina shore power based on quantity of shore power receptacles on a given piece of equipment. To have a panel schedule "smartly" include this Demand Factor, I must make use of the "By quantity" calculation method, which counts the powered electrical connections on the panel.

User Management Functionality

by Explorer donkelman3756 on ‎04-24-2017 08:31 AM

We need a way to ring-fence certain Revit tools and functionality so that new/inexperienced users can work within a large team without breaking things or disrupting project standards and team working.

Larger projects (20-30 concurrent Revit users) attract a major management and housekeeping overhead. We maintain a team of BIM coordinators embedded within the design team who, in addition to their design work, must spend a considerable amount of time on model maintenance tasks and firefighting.

Coming from a Microstation CAD environment, we were used to the luxury of 'Capability Control' where we could choose on a granular level what tools and configurations were available to different levels of users. For example, our coordinators could add new Layers, Text and Dim styles, Linestyles etc, but our average users couldn't. This was recognised as a major help in proactively dealing with team working issues, rather than having to spend many hours trying to fix the mess that can be generated where these controls are not available.

The ROI for us of something as simple as a control on who in the team can or cannot create new Levels could be immense.

0 Kudos

Now there is no option available in Revit to control imported DWG element material that we assigned through object styles. for instance we have a requirement that we need to assign different material for multiple family type in Revit Family.

Copy/monitor scope boxes

by Participant omar.ashraf on ‎04-24-2017 01:07 AM

Wouldn't it be awesome if we can copy/monitor scope boxes from a linked model, or even use the scope boxes available in the linked models? This would save a lot of time of manually copying scope boxes and manually monitoring their changes.

Although a new version of Revit comes out every spring, not all project can be upgraded at the same time. This leads to issues and we have found people accidentally opening files in the wrong version and saving over the original - thankfully it doesn't happen often and the damage has been undone but it's still an issue.

It would be good if Revit automatically appended the Version number to the end of the file once it's opened.  For instance Myfile.RVT opened in 2018 would become Myfile_2018.rvt.  this is not dissimilar to other packages such as Vectorworks.

If the file is being intentionally upgraded then this would still provide a double check before saving.

0 Kudos

When you have a linked model in your main model, the schedules reads the levels for doors and windows from the linked model instead of the host model, for example if you have a typical floor plan linked to your main model, the door and window schedules read all doors to be on only one level, which is the level from the linked model. We need to have them read from the host models levels.

Create Phases in API

by Participant tom.james on ‎04-24-2017 12:16 AM

Hi.

Please can you expose the API methods for creating phases and phase filters.

Regards, Tom.

It would be quite useful if the print window is redesigned to concentrate all the print setup in just one window, instead of having to click in Setup button every time we need to change paper size, color, etc...

Even in Autocad it works much better than Revit...

Highlighting different Sites in the Location dialog should immediately show the 'angle from project north to true north' for that particular highlighted site.

An additional text field should be added that shows the the X, Y and Z transform for each named Site. It does not necessarily need to be editable, but would be highly useful as a review tool.

currentLocation.png

Temporarily Unlock 3D View

by Advocate on ‎04-23-2017 05:59 PM

The ability to lock 3D views is very useful, but once unlocked you can only get the camera back if you remember to immediately Rewind...

It would be more useful to have a 'Temporarily Unlock 3D View' view state, that allows navigation to occur, but the locked 3D view state can be restored at any time.

You're working within the sheet (activate the view) and edit a family. You make changes and load back in. Revit either creates an unwanted duplicate sheet view and tells you that you can't place it in that view or it goes to some unwanted view (where, again, you can't place the family). Why can't it just take you back to where you were last in the project?

Add Curtain wall in the Legend view

by Advisor gh_ar on ‎04-23-2017 11:25 AM

Hello

Add Curtain wall in the Legend view.

Add Cutome Scale

by Advisor gh_ar on ‎04-23-2017 08:12 AM

hello

Add Cutome Scale in Line Weights dialog.

0 Kudos

mostly what happens is that when we used to draw stairs or wall ,if lines area  overlapped  then there is a message TIN TIN !  error , rather than showing errors, the stairs or wall can be formed with the overlapped line OR should there be any command which delete the overlapped line automatically and prevents any warning and initiate the formation.

I would like to be able to use the editfamily command (in the API) to open and activate a family that only exists within a project. At present the family can only be activated if it is first saved to disk and then the file opened.

Since loaded families have the load path saved with them this can cause issues, and unnecessary decisions to be made, when all you want is for a result equivalent to using "Edit Family" via the User Interface.

0 Kudos

Select by Model Pattern on surface

by Advisor gh_ar on ‎04-22-2017 01:15 PM

hello and thank you

When used in the model pattern Placing mouse is on surface element, and the selection is highlighted. And means select by face do not have much affects

Except to zoom in large. This carry out the project Cause is unintentional errors.

http://autode.sk/2pRt41L

Inserting Families

by Explorer mailericroy on ‎04-22-2017 06:59 AM

Hi,

I would like to see if it's possible to change the family library "folder" structure into a " folder tree" structure. Doing this change would allow the user to select families from different categories and import them all in a single click.

I also think it would be great to be able to easily remove unwanted families form the main family selection window pane.

Thank you 

Skirting and crowd moldings tool

by New Member ElLoponen on ‎04-22-2017 12:12 AM

Please make profile attachment also to floor tool and ceiling tool (Similar as roof tools soffits, fascia and cutter). By this tool you can make skirtings, crown moldings and stuff, easier to models. Also some kind of floor tops tool might be good to make surfaces of the floor

Improve Override Graphics

by Explorer 0q02340 on ‎04-21-2017 08:02 PM

Please improve override graphics for objects in views:

1. Ability to match overriden properties for other objects;
  2. Ability to mantain overriden objects when duplicating a view;
  3. A button to show/evidence witch objects are overriden.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube