Revit Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Revit team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

It will be very exiting if in revit hollow core can by drawn using system family slab elements  , it will be very helpful in production of precast building models  , now we have to model the hollow core slab as external family

0 Kudos

Placing views on sheets.  Editing View Crops.  Overriding detail item transparency by element or category.  All three of these options are fantastic.  Combine any two of these options and they're even more fantastic.  But try to do all three at the same time and something seems to get lost in translation.  For whatever reason, views with an edited crop boundary will only display their detail item transparency overrides when NOT viewed on a sheet.  Bring this one home Autodesk, you're almost there!

0 Kudos

Scan Regions created in ReCap along with Scan Locations are available in the Visibility/Graphics Overrides dialog to control the visibility of parts of point clouds within views. However, if the Scan Regions and Scan Locations are organized into groups in ReCap, these groups are not available as items in the tree.

Scan Locations.png

Architectural beam needed

by Explorer GMAT0606 on ‎04-28-2017 01:57 PM

Hi Autodesk,

I am a Japanese architecture student in a college. I really liked Revit!

I am wondering why there is not architectural Beam tools unlike architectural wall, floor, and wall.

Aesthetic beams are sometimes needed in Japanese architecture because they are based on columns and beams, not walls and floors.

So far, Revit is popular tools in Europe or US but, when it comes to Asia, Autocad is the most popular tools. I think Architectural beam can be a good idea to become a prime software in Asia, especially Japan.

Roof Layer Extensions

by Enthusiast AlexLibengood on ‎04-28-2017 09:29 AM

Similar to the wall layer extensions where we can unlock the layers of the wall in the structural assembly dialogue, and change the top and bottom extension in the wall's instance properties, it would be really useful to have similar functions with the layers of the roof.

For example, a shingle roof has a framing layer that is locked, then a sheathing layer that is unlocked with a 3/4" extension, and then a asphalt shingle layer with a 1 1/4" extension.  This would give me a more accurate eave section profile.

Right now I have to do this manually by having framing type roof, a sheathing type roof, and a shingle type roof all separate and stacked.  This gets really messy, especially with a hipped roof that has different slopes on each face (the stacked roofs will never align on all 4 sides).  Alternatively, it could be done with sweeps or void sweeps, but this is getting to be too intensive with modeling management.

When working with Revit/Revit MEP Pipe Command, Pipe placeholder Command, Duct Command, Conduit Command and Cable Tray Command, I would like to see the Draw contextual tab with the Pick Line feature.  This way, I can tab select an entire run and use the Pick Line tool to create another identical one a certain distance away...similar to parallel pipes/parallel walls/parallel ducts, etc.

Additionally, once the duplicated run is created, be able to select the entire run and change its type with one command.  For example, if you already have a cold water system created and you want to create a hot water system 1'-0" away, use the Pick Line tool to select everything and make a new cold water system, then change it to hot water.

How to have more control on a Revit project file to avoid unnecessary large file and detect error sources faster? 

Having a tool in the project file that shows a diagram of your file size statistics can be very helpful, especially in large size projects.
For example, a diagram that says:

40% Structural families

15% Sheets

25% Linked CAD files 

20% Linked Revit files

This type of statistics can help you to identify what is most contributed to the project file size, so when you want to share your file or clean up your file, you would know what would be more effective to modify or reconsider. (e.g. the method of linking CAD files or workflow of creating families) 

0 Kudos

Bonjour,

Il apparaîtrait important de pouvoir aisément obtenir des étiquettes faisant apparaître la somme de plusieurs pièces ayant un paramètre partagé commun.

Cela ferait gagner beaucoup de temps et ceci sans passer à travers Dynamo bien évidemment !

Hi,

It sure would be nice if we could adjust the draw order of multiple objects at once instead of having to do it one by one. Does anyone else feel this would be a valuable update?

Thanks!

There should be a Shared Parameters Search Box on both the 'Shared Parameters' and'Edit Shared Parameters' menu, just above the Parameter Group drop down menu.

At the present moment not having the option to search for Parameters in the Shared Parameter File leads to a lot of duplication and the creation of similar parameters. This leads to disparity between your Revit Templates, Schedules and Family Library, and fixing them is a tedious and expensive task.

Having a Search Box will also greatly reduce the time you spend on searching for the right Parameter.

Introducing a simple Search Box to the Shared Parameters menu can greatly improve our Revit Experience and save us a lot of frustration, time and money.

Dear Autodesk,

The Railing hosted to topography is something I've been waiting for a long time. You can not only use it for railing but also other purposes, see screencast below for some examples to trigger you. 

But that's great, but I've got two more improvements that will make this tool even more powerful. And I think it ain't improvements that take a lot of time to implement.

1. More then one host, at this moment when you draw a railing hosted on the topography it works fine. But when the topography is split in two, the railing (of course) won't follow the other split topography.

So even though Topography is split, can you make it possible to follow both topography, at this moment I need to split my railing also (or am I doing something wrong?)
  2. In my understanding topography uses the mass principal. Wouldn't it be cool if you can not only select topography as host? But also a face of a mass? I think this ain't a too hard thing to realize, since it is possible on topography already, just need to add the button 'by face'.

The following would be a nice way to "drill holes" into a solid (or to use subtractive operations as modelling strategy in general):

- model a void family to be used, for example, as hole

- import the void family into another family and use it with the "Cut" operation to "drill holes" (or do something similar)

For the time being the following strategy works:

- create a "hole" profile

- import it into a family with some solid

- use the void sweep tool and the profile to create a hole in the solid

It is also possible to join imported solids

so it would be only logical if boolean operations would work between solids and imported voids as well...

fill pattern preview

by Explorer mpt on ‎04-27-2017 08:26 PM

Would be nice to see graphic display of filled region options in properties window in addition to the list provided.

More informative error messages

by Participant diresub on ‎04-27-2017 07:43 PM

When using Revit a large amount of time is lost by trying to interpret uninformative and very general error messages.

In order to find out that something is wrong Revit obviously did the necessary processing to understand the causes.  But then, at least in a large number of cases, rather than providing this information, a very general error message is printed which does not help much to solve the problem.

More informative error messages, if possible even with links to help or internet pages going into more detail, would help to save a lot of time, money and frustration...

Example:

When, for example, calculating a distance using a formula like "Length / Number" the divisor might become 0.  Rather than complaining when this is the case, Revit generally does not allow this kind of formula and something like "Length / (Number + 1)" has to be written.  Obviously Revit did the necessary analysis to understand the origin of the problem.  However, the following very general error message is printed:

Invalid formula found in the "Length" parameter in the "XXX" type.  You will need to import the correct table or edit the formula in order to continue.

The user then has to find the problem by himself, for example by randomly searching through all kind of internet pages relating to formulas until he finally might find a note like this:

Arrays in a family can be controlled using an integer parameter. When the array is controlled with a formula, the formula must contain syntax to ensure the array value is always greater than one (an array value must always be greater than 1).

Obviously Revit had all necessary information for localizing the error - but did not go through the effort to print it.

There are plenty of other examples with general error messages not providing helpful information to locate the problem, like the messages concerning conflicting constraints, error messages after reimporting families etc.

Currently, Multi-Category Schedules cannot schedule System Families. Consider the highly useful situation where you want to Schedule:

• Keynote (from Type)
  • Description (from Type)
  • Type Mark (from Type)

... and you want to create this schedule across all of the elements in the entire project. This would be immensely powerful for model quality checking and also creating a unified, live project item code schedule. But it is currently impossible in normal Revit. It can be done with other tools like Dynamo, but these do not reference the model live and thus the information would need to be continually refreshed in that workaround.

We need to empower Multi-Category schedules to be truly multicategory, where they can reference at least the consistent Type parameters (shown above) from every Category.

The image below shows an example of how many different schedules are currently required just to accomplish the above for an Architectural model:

mult-cat.png

How much better it would be to make Multi-Category Schedules true to their name.

Line Width Differences

by Participant mcnamac on ‎04-27-2017 04:42 PM

I have a generic annotation family nested in a detail item family, which is placed into a project.  The line weights are both set to the same width in the project - but they show as different widths!  

Draw Order

by Participant mcnamac on ‎04-27-2017 04:35 PM

Make draw order work across the board.  If the draw order looks right in a family, it should stay the same in the project, not become randomly backwards (and unfixable).  I'm having issues with masking regions, generic annotations, nested families, etc.  

0 Kudos

Viewport Useability

by Participant mcnamac on ‎04-27-2017 04:15 PM

Create the ability to modify size of a viewport on a sheet after a view is placed, and have the viewport actually control what is visible vs what is cut off (like AutoCAD).  

Crop regions get part way there, but sometimes I actually do want to see annotations that get cut off, like dimensions.  If i didn't want to see it, I wouldn't have put it in the view.  

0 Kudos

i want to be able to create and have visibility options to them. when i load into a project i want the user to be able to turn on and off options on the tag and have it only affect that one tag. 

Need to Add Model Groups and Assemblies to the Browser Organizations too.........

I use these both EXTENSIVELY for Electrical Modeling, and the Lists and get quite unwieldy sometimes...would be nice to break those up into small "groupings".

Mike Maloney

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube