Revit Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Revit team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

TABS

by New Member jdonatoWWAHL on ‎04-21-2017 04:34 AM

TABS.  Give Revit Tabs.  The user interface of cascade and tile cannot replace the power of knowing how many views are open.  This is such a gross under sight that I am sure there must be a good reason.  That said please consider making tabs a feature for Revit.

Thank you. 

0 Kudos

Hi

I am making advanced models of scaffolding, modules, building fences, temporary power installations, temporary lightning and much more. Today it’s a limited list of how we can define objects before we export them to IFC  like wall, window, furniture etc. I would like you to add one more that is temporary equipment. Today we define our generic families as “Site” , with a optioin to define them as temporary equipment they will get the rift definition and we can sort the objects better.

Would this be possible to add in future expansions like: IfcExportAs  = IfcTemporaryEquipment ?

Esquemas de instalaciones

by Explorer alshinji on ‎04-21-2017 03:49 AM

Normalmente cuando se entrega un proyecto arquitectónico junto al mep, ademas de los planos con medidas y información necesaria, se suele adjuntar los esquemas con la intención de ver de manera clara y precisa la conexión y información principal entre equipos dando prioridades a objetos tipo válvulas o elementos singulares.

Mi idea es poder extrapolar los sistemas que tenemos creados en el modelo con cada uno de sus elementos para conseguir estos esquemas. Se podría añadir una imagen destinada al esquema o usar el modelo de baja definición para simbolizar cada elemento. Es verdad que cuando ponemos el proyecto en modo alambrico, nos queda una especie de esquema, pues se ven las lineas centrales de conductos y tuberías por ejemplo, pero son de difícil manejo y no deja de ser el modelo 3D simplificado, es decir, si tenemos 6 tuberías una encima de otra, veríamos solo 1 linea, por lo que no cumple la función.Por otro lado, ponerlo en 3D tampoco es una buena opción, pues quien lo recibe, ha de realizar una "interpretación" que puede llegar a confusiones si el modelo es complejo, justo lo contrario de lo que se pretende.

Allow stairs and ramps to join with floors and walls, so elements read correct in views without having to manually hide lines.

When modelling stairs you want to model the element as it would be typically constructed i.e. with a stair tread continuing up to the floor surface. The result of this however is that when viewed in plan the stair looks like it has an additional riser where it meet the floor. With out elements typically this would be removed by joining the elements, however with stairs and ramps this is not possible to join.

Multiple screen support

by Explorer a.hays on ‎04-21-2017 02:08 AM

Allow better multi screen support to maximise to each screen.

Plan Regions

by Explorer a.hays on ‎04-21-2017 01:48 AM

Allow curved lines to be used for creating plan regions.

0 Kudos

allow crop regions to crop varying angles and multiple lines.

we currently have lots of funky shaped floor plans and are have to use a wipe out over the bits we want to hide due to crop region

having a limitation on what it can crop.

it also seems to increase file sizes slightly.....

thanks!

The project browser, even when managed well can be an endless list of words. To help improve coordination/ ability to find stuff and to help structure workflow can you please add the ability to colour the text shown in the Project Browser. Views or sheets where working is still to be completed can be coloured which quickly identifies where work is needed when multiple users are accessing shared project files. It also adds another layer of filtering and structure to the views so this can help coordinate things better. This should be a simple add so I look forward to seeing this in 2018 release.

0 Kudos

Wall Height from Base Constraint

by Collaborator damo3 on ‎04-21-2017 12:56 AM

I would like a wall parameter that provides a value of the walls height measured from its Base Constraint.

If a walls base offset is changed, the unconnected height value is misleading. The unconnected height is the OVERALL wall height. So now, where is the height of the wall from the base constraint?

In construction we provide a wall height from a level datum, ie: floor level, NOT from the underside of the brick wall in a rebate for example.

I have always found it unusual that if I want to know a walls actual height, I have to do the math between the base offset and the desired height to get the actual unconnected height value.

Worst still, I have seen new users type in unconnected height values without taking into account the base constraint resulting in walls too high or low! Yikes! 

wall height.jpg

A possible solution:

properties palette new parameter.jpg

The ability to unhide selected elements/categories that have been temporarily hidden. At the moment, the temporary tools only work in one direction, to hide or to isolate. We need to be able to go backwards too, to unhide and unisolate selected elements while we are in that temporary view state. 

I use the temporary hide/isolate tools almost hourly. One thing I always run into is wanting to bring back something already hidden as I dive in and out of the model. At the moment, if I want something back that I have temporarily hidden, I have to reset then re-hide all the other elements again. 

Another thing I investigated was activating Reveal Hidden Elements while in a temporary hide/isolate state. Unfortunately, Revit doesn't recognise the temporary hidden elements for the unhide tool. So close, yet so far. 

Detailed Explanation: 

1. Temporarily Hide 'Element/category A'
  2. Temporarily Hide 'Element/category B, C, D... etc etc
    Now I want to un-hide only element/category A
  3. Currently we have to first Reset then temporarily hide 'element/category B, C, D etc etc again. 
    I wish I could somehow see the temporary hidden elements to un-hide them. Thinking about it, its almost a view state inside a view state. As previously mentioned this is a little bit like activating 'Reveal Hidden Elements' while you are in 'Temporary Hide/Isolate' the only difference being I could unhide an element that was hidden temporarily. 

Thanks for voting. 

We have been toying with the idea that it may be advantageous if rebar can be placed in linked geometry.

It started in older releases where the rebar made our models rather heavy and slow to work with (this is not that much of an issue anymore); and some barrier to automatic changes to rebar to try and manage revisions.

In order to control revisions we would like some form of ability to lock the rebar to a geometry. If the concrete hosting the rebar changes and the rebar needs to update there should be a warning. There should also be an option to assign a revision sequence number to the affected bar.

Would it not make sense to provide an option for the cover to be read from the host (default), or from a user defined parameter in the bar instance?

This will allow greater control when multiple bar layers are required and could also assist in using geometry from a link.

Revision control and unintended updates to rebar is still something we have not properly cracked.

There is too much room for error.

Vew range improvements

by Participant trentf4 on ‎04-20-2017 11:34 PM

I would like to see an improvement in thee current view range setting. As you can see below instead of the help style picture on the left ii would propose you can generate a section view from your project where you can adjust the grips to change the view range in your floor plan or Ceiling plan on the fly.

It can be quite tedious and laborious to find a perfect height or a right level to set your ranges to, having a live update on screen would be so much more helpful and time saving.

View range test.jpg

We cannot set the view range in Framing Elevation view in current Revit. So, we cannot see the one side elements of grid. 
For example, in following sample, we cannot see the beam in Framing Elevation view.
The customer hope the value of view range value to Framing Elevation view.

When opening a project, we should be able to 'load' a workset state from a dropdown list in the workset dialog. This would set the open and closed worksets as per a previously defined and saved workset state.

While in the project, we should have instant access to changing the workset state. This would close and open worksets to match a previously saved workset state.

The functionality is similar to view / sheet sets, but for worksets.

On huge projects with many links and worksets, this would speed things up a lot.

(reposting with my main account...)

I would like to be able to select a material for a component (such as a door) and tell Revit to display the MARK value of that selected material in schedules instead of the material name

Currently in door schedules (or similar) we want to schedule the finishes to the door panel, frame etc. We want to see codes for those finishes, but currently we can only see the material name meaning our material names have to be codes eg:P01 (the same code is written in Mark parameter of the material).

So we get manual duplication and coordination of material names and mark values or we settle for office naming conventions seen in the schedule or we use text parameters that aren't linked to the material. Not great choices.  

Wouldn't this be nice?

material mark schedules.jpg

p.s. I have previously discussed using a material take-off schedule to tackle this problem, but it doesn't work

See... https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/material-take-off-schedule-in-place-of-a-doo...

0 Kudos

hi 

can you add steel sections with custom flanges and webs 

and you can change it along the section as the bottom is different from the top.

0 Kudos

Electrical Cut Pattern filters

by Participant trentf4 on ‎04-20-2017 09:09 PM

Would like to see the addition of Cut planes turned on the filters tab for Conduits and can also be for other MEP services.

The reason being I use many different conduit service types all with different Colour fills to differentiate the services, in plan view this is fine but once cut the colour fill no longer shows through as you can see below.

conduit example 1.PNGconduit example 2.PNGFilter example 1.PNGFilter example 2.PNG

Currently with a filter for Conduits and Conduit fittings you get the Greyed out cut tab as above, the only way to 'open' this up is to trick Revit into using a category that has this open and that wont be affected by filters this being Structural framing. With Structural framing ticked you can now add a pattern fill to your conduits. The drawback on this however is you can no longer select Filter by Service type in your filter rules which creates a big headache when drawing your conduits and having a separate parameter to get the filter to turn on.

Filter rules.PNG

tldr; in short please add the ability for conduits to have a fill pattern enable during cut and also have service type still selected in the service type and to top it off please let us have service types like ductwork runs do so the conduit will change to  the service type with one click of a button instead of a tab select.

An Instance Browser

by Participant diresub on ‎04-20-2017 07:49 PM

Hi,

I am missing an Instance Browser which allows to access the created instances directly.

There would be an "Instances" subcategory in the Project Browser.

Let's say I created a cube by extrusion.  The corresponding instance then could be found and selected under a path like this:

Project Browser > Instances > Solids > Extrusion > Cube Instance 1

and its instance and type properties etc. could be edited directly...

Nested View Templates

by Contributor ralvarez1976 on ‎04-20-2017 06:16 PM - last edited on ‎04-20-2017 06:18 PM |

Give us the ability to nest view templates. The view would have a primary view template, and each view parameter with an "Edit" button would have the ability to have a secondary view template.

This would allow us to have less view templates with more control, as we can create new outcomes by combining them. One typical application of this would be to control the display of linked files with linked views, per level.

two underlay - down and upward

by Participant alexjusti on ‎04-20-2017 05:49 PM - last edited on ‎04-20-2017 05:50 PM |

An idea of ​​a command with two-way visibility, an underlying down and upward ... and a location to configure a graphical representation of elements without underlying

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube