Revit Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Revit team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

"OR" in filter rules

by Advocate bosborne on ‎05-12-2016 05:20 AM

There is currently no "Or" capability in filter rules, which makes it very difficult/inefficient at times to filter.  For instance: assume I only want to see walls that contain CMU or Concrete in the type name.  I can create a filter for Just the concrete walls easily, and do the same for the CMU.  But one filter with OR could easily accomplish the task.

Dual Monitor support for Revit

by Contributor BramBIM on ‎05-13-2016 04:56 PM

Integrate dual monitor compactibility within revit. No offense, but dragging the bottom of the programm border across both monitors isn't ideal.

Revit LT 2016

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

I would be a blessing to have the stair tool more robust and full of parameters that allow one to create a detailed and exact staircase. Adding core and finish layers as you would in a wall. Determining the end conditions more precisely, with better control. The more detailing control the merrier.

Thanks for waiting for us to review this idea.  While there is a lot to this idea, we have decided to accept it as is.  As we have posted in our public roadmap, we are planning work on Multi-story stairs and railings in the future. While that might not capture everything about this idea, we wanted to say that we think the intent of this idea is good and that we think it is important to ensure it is on our roadmap.  Thanks again for the submission and continue to vote and submit ideas!

Double patterns

by Explorer Herwin_Voortman on ‎05-12-2016 10:10 AM

A color as Solid Fill  and 2nd a pattern.

Concrete: Grey and the concrete pattern, 

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

Multiple Selections

by Mentor on ‎05-10-2016 11:55 PM

In many areas of Revit multiple selections does not work, for example deleting multiple filters. Also in schedules selecting muitiple cells and enter a value for all the selected cells will be welcome.

The Factory

Docking to Dual Monitors

by Contributor a.bryant on ‎05-18-2016 03:55 PM - last edited on ‎09-02-2016 01:41 PM |

Allow Revit views to dock to dual monitors when extended across both monitors.

• Maximise a view to a monitor (one or the other, not both when extended across both monitors)
  • Dock the Project browser, Properties window, Rebar shape browser, to either side of a monitor

The Factory

Browser Organization

by Advocate geo-arch on ‎05-18-2016 12:31 PM

Add Schedule and Legend organization Tab. 

At our Inside the Factory Live event this year, we discussed this request in detail.  We think this is a great idea and we've decided to add it to our roadmap.  Thanks for the suggestion and keep voting and the ideas coming!

The Factory

Revit API Access to the Revit Warnings/Errors

by Contributor mattmas on ‎07-27-2016 07:15 PM

More and more, BIM coordinators are interested in looking at the key performance indicators of a Revit model - both currently and over time.

The single-most important metric in Revit is the number of errors and warnings in the model. Unfortunately, it is not really possible to extract this most important information using the API. Yes, Jeremy once pointed out that there's a windows hack to trigger the Manage Warnings via the UI (which then will report the warnings via FailureProcessing) - but this is not really a reasonable API solution. It is fragile.

I think the three reasonable ways to accomplish this somehow would be:

- Make an API which triggers the failures (much like hitting the Manage Warnings button).

- Make an API which just retrieves the information directly

- Make an API which executes the Manage Warnings + Export command to send the errors out to an HTML file (not that good, but it's far better than what we have today).

This would open the door for a wide variety of mechanisms for BIM coordinators and technologists to understand the warnings, build dashboards and even manage the process of reducing the errors on a project.

The Factory

Do not ask to rename level and views

by Advocate jkidder on ‎06-28-2016 10:52 AM

Every time a view based on a level is renamed a popup appears asking "Would you like to rename corresponding level and views?"  While I'm sure there are situations where you might want to do so, in general the answer is NO.  It isn't desired and it is easy to accidentally rename views and levels. There should be a setting to prevent the question from being asked. A user setting might be the easiest, but a project setting would be handy for templates.  There should be a checkbox for "don't ask me again" to help users find that it is a setting when the box pops up as well.

The Factory

This idea comes from reading other's requests for a schedule browser and a family browser.  What if the existing project browser just had the ability to organize the Schedules, Legends and Families similar to what we currently have with Views & Sheets.  (Browser Organization under user interface currently only has two tabs, Views & Sheets, but why not add tabs for Legends, Schedules & Families).  This would allow us to duplicate Schedule Types and Legend Types and setup Browser Organization to list schedules and legends into groups the way we prefer.  (We currently can duplicate schedule and legend types, but it doesn't do any good because the browser can't be organized for those items).

The Factory

Dynamo Player - Allow Inputs

by Collaborator Hugh_Compton on ‎10-13-2016 02:20 AM - last edited on ‎10-24-2016 07:09 AM |

Allow inputs (such as strings, numbers etc.) when Dynamo code is used in Player.  

Thanks for the post. Marking this as accepted as this is already on our roadmap!

Insert-Link Navis NWC files directly into Revit

by Enthusiast apaupert on ‎08-09-2016 06:08 AM - last edited on ‎08-09-2016 06:11 AM |

It would be nice to be able to insert/link Navis NWC files directly into Revit. This would satify the need when you don't get Revit models from Owners or Outside consultants. The ability to bring the 3D geometry from NWC would be terrific. Right now we can only look at it all together in Navisworks following the modeling effort which is not very efficient

Thanks Smiley Happy

The Factory

Revit - Allow Scheduling of Groups

by Explorer Adam_Simmons on ‎04-06-2016 10:28 AM - last edited on ‎12-05-2016 12:22 PM |

Residential projects often use groups as a way to manage repeated units. however there is a need to schedule these groups as a way of quantifying labeling in a tag on plan and so on. If groups were able to be treated much like most model component categories and be scheduled this would allow for simple management of Unit type for residential project and much more on just the management side of things when you need to locate and clean a model of groups.

The Factory

Remove rendering differences between Text and Tags - Tags and Text part 1

by Advocate bosborne on ‎08-18-2016 01:09 PM - last edited on ‎09-05-2016 06:45 AM |

Goal: Remove the differences between Text and Tags and streamline the process

With the Text changes in 2017 - Text 3/32" Arial is not exactly the same size/letter spacing/line spacing as Tag 3/32" Arial - Needs to be fixed ASAP (ref: http://bdmackeyconsulting.com/revit-2017-text-editor-vs-tag/)

The differences between Text Font rendering and Tag Font rendering has caused many headaches and required many users to fix A LOT of existing annotation families with nested text.  Why are two systems being carried?  the letter G in arial 3/32" font should be the same regardless of whether it is in text or in a tag/label.

2017 Text improvements were nice - but they were only 50 % of the words that appear in drawings.  We want 100% consistency.

(repost 1 from previous removed post)

The Factory

file/model-level access control in C4R (Collaboration for Revit)

by Collaborator lionel.kai on ‎01-24-2017 03:31 PM - last edited on ‎01-30-2017 01:19 PM |

Currently, if someone has access to a C4R project, they have WRITE access to ALL files:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Secure-worksets-in-an-A3...
model.html

Yes, we're working on a team, but mistakes can be made. Even within our own office, people are only granted write access to projects that they're working on (in part to reduce folders being accidentally dragged around). In C4R, I trust that our client (or other subs) wouldn't INTENTIONALLY open my Revit model and start modifying stuff without telling me, but what if they're just opening it to look at something (and forget to detach) and accidentally make a change, or there are some warnings that they just dismiss when constraints are updated & windows/doors move? Not to mention all the permission issues that could occur if things AREN'T saved (and therefore also aren't relinquished)?

I'm sure a lot can be avoided by training, but it's training in OTHER firms. I'd just personally have a lot more peace of mind if I knew "this model is ours, that one's theirs". Always having an up-to-date link CAN be great (in most cases, though I've done submittals with intentionally old links when there were large changes close to the deadline) but I don't want to have to keep doing a model compare, or looking at the history, to see if anyone else has touched our model that shouldn't have...

This is somewhat similar to this idea:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/a360-c4r-host-model-with-read-only-revit-links/idi-p/63970...

Predefined Structural Connection Settings

by Enthusiast tim.knapp on ‎10-27-2016 12:26 PM

The idea of structural connections within Revit is great. Although the current method of defining a connection can be a bit cumbersome.  What would be amazing would be if we could predefine certain connection configurations for connections that we would commonly use.  This would significantly improve productivity.  There are so many configurations for any given connection, which is great, but at times makes it cumbersome when you have to do the same modifications over and over to create a similar connection type.  I guess what I am saying is if I spend the time to configure a connection type, then I want to be able create a similar connection without having to go through all the different connection configurations.

Great idea @tim.knapp! I agree that this will improve the modeling capabilities. No ETA yet on when it might be coming but we will be sure to keep everyone posted.

Structure Detailing - Steel connections

by Contributor nisunze on ‎05-15-2016 12:35 AM - last edited on ‎09-05-2016 12:59 PM |

Expand Steel Connections extension for Revit, and make its integration with Advance Steel flawless. I would like to see all connection macro in Advance Steel come to Revit Steel Connections. Parametric reinforcement components, are welcome, not old, Structural Detailing extensions. 

Shared Parameter support thru A360?

by Participant dwang on ‎09-19-2016 03:35 PM - last edited on ‎02-22-2017 10:21 AM |

We are working with multiple consultants and a partner architecture firm and need to be able to share our shared parameters through A360.  The only way to do this currently is to upload to A360, and each individual firm has to download and place on their network, and then point to the file.  Can we just point to the file on A360?  Same scenario for keynote file, would help with collaboration immensely to be able to share these files live the way we are sharing our models.

Structural connections subcomponents

by Advocate YarUnderoaker on ‎05-12-2016 02:38 AM - last edited on ‎05-12-2016 02:51 AM |

Do the new structural connections subcomponents (plates and bolts) be a schedulable and markable.

This must be good for counting full steel mass and bolts, doing a detail drawings for small projects by Revit.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube