Revit Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Revit team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

An Instance Browser

by Participant diresub on ‎04-20-2017 07:49 PM

Hi,

I am missing an Instance Browser which allows to access the created instances directly.

There would be an "Instances" subcategory in the Project Browser.

Let's say I created a cube by extrusion.  The corresponding instance then could be found and selected under a path like this:

Project Browser > Instances > Solids > Extrusion > Cube Instance 1

and its instance and type properties etc. could be edited directly...

Can we have the Duct, Pipe, Duct Fittings and Pipe Fittings associated to levels in the same way please.This is one of the first things I brought up with an Autodesk rep when I first started using Revit in 2007!

Curently if we have say Ductwork associated to the wrong level and want to change it we select a duct element and change the associated level - the duct element will stay where it is and the offset will change to match the new level, all good right. But if we do this to a duct fitting then the fitting (and everything attached to it) will move to the new level with the same offset, you have to work out what the new offset should be and type that value in to keep the element correctly located. I would rather it work the way it does with the duct elements (so I can select all and change in one go) but as long as they both work the same way it would still be better than currently.

Faster Fills and Masks - AutoTrace

by Advocate jkucia on ‎06-28-2016 05:25 AM

I'd like to see a smart/faster way to create fills and regions.  I have my odd shape, bordered by lines, and I'd like to fill it.  Normally I would have to re-create the same odd shape in order for my fill to, well, fill it.

Wouldn't it be great if, when creating fills and masks, maybe even slabs or other types of objects, if I could click inside an enclosed region and the fill automatically picks up its edges from the edges of the region? 

For instance, if I want to add a special mask to this Callout head.  I'd need a handful of steps to get the mask to fill the circle properly.  What if, instead, I click the Mask tool, and before I start drawing I hold down the shift or ctrl key to change it to auto-fill, and then click once in the white space of the Head?  In this case I would only get half a mask - I should be able to just as easily add to the same mask I just created.  Maybe right-click on the new mask, select "Add To Region," and as long as the new fill touches or overlaps the old fill I can shift-click the other half of the Head and get a full-circle mask?

YES, I KNOW: this isn't the best example, a circular mask is available with maybe two clicks, but think about that time you had a million little jogs in your fill and it took forever to trace out.  Now imagine Revit doing all that work for you. 

Allow worksets to be scheduled

by Advocate mvoss on ‎09-14-2016 07:46 AM

Will allow each discipline to backcheck elements placed on the wrong workset.

Phase Visibility Control via View Filters

by Enthusiast Jason.kunkel on ‎05-11-2016 06:30 PM - last edited on ‎09-05-2016 03:01 AM |

Using phase filters to control the appearance of elements is archaic and limiting and confusing. View Filters have come very far and View Templates have as well so now it's time to let us control the appearance of element's phase status via View Filters along with so many other things. You should be able to select current phase, any prior phase, or a specific phase in the filter and then control appearance for those filtered elements just like you would any other View Filter.

0 Kudos

Hi @ all !

Status qou: Placing a new elevation view. This view will be named automaticly as (in German Language Version) "Ansicht - 1" or in (English Language Version) "elevation - 1"

Now German Language Version of Revit is installed and a Project will take place in non German Language area. Every Elevation View has to be renamed manually. Smiley Frustrated

How it could be: New Drop-Down-Menue for View-Naming as Project-Default-Setting. First Line: Individual Input, second Line: Standard Name (e.g. "Elevation"), third Line: Last Input (e.g. "Ansicht") and so on.

Attached a Proposal for the Drop-Down-Menue.

Please do the something similar for section views (see next Idea ;) )

Kind regards,

Bernhard

One of those minor annoyances; when opening a Revit 2016 workshared file in Revit 2017, the file needs upgrading to version 2017. And when it's upgrading, a window about the central file being moved or something like that, pops up behind the upgrade window, and is waiting for a mouse click. If you're not aware of that, upgrading can take a loooong time...

So please, if a message needs user intervention, please make sure it's displayed in the foreground?

Currently, stairs below are shown all the way down, no matter what the view depth is set to, while the graphics for stairs above ARE adjustable. The best low-effort workaround is to show the entire stair below as a hidden line. See this post:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture/stairs-below-level-how-do-i-add-a-cut-line/td-p/340...

This doesn't make sense visually, since the treads (or at least not the upper ones, usually) aren't actually hidden by anything. To get it to look nice requires a bunch of linework... This is all very similar to the "it's a feature not a bug" issue of floors being shown 4' outside the view range. However, while that issue is easily solved (just hide the floor in the view), we can't just hide PART of a stair (without doing linework).

The IDEAL solution would be to have another cut mark shown at the bottom of the view range, with "BELOW" v/g categories (similar to the "ABOVE" ones), so that the rest of the stair can be turned off by those (like us) that don't want to see it all.

This is particularly annoying with Duct Fittings. You set parameters on a duct fitting to be a certain way (let's say it length for example) and then make a change to the duct it is attached to and it reverts back to its default values (or changes the fitting altogether to the wrong one). It's very tricky to get it not to do that.

Room reference visibility

by Explorer escanlon on ‎02-16-2017 07:45 AM

It would be a great time saver and very helpful to have a single button (perhaps on the lower tool ribbon) where one can turn on the visibility of the room 'reference' marks.   Sure, you can turn them on via visibility graphics, but it is a three step process.   When working in plan and section, it is difficult to grab the room unless you happen to hover over the reference mark.   I find myself turning these on and off frequently.   A simple shortcut button would be great!  

Allow real world scale of line styles (dashes, perhaps even thickness). Allow linestyle visibility in perspective views(dashes, even thickness).

Project Family Pallettes

by Explorer BrianZuzik on ‎02-06-2017 12:00 PM

Simliar to Autocad Architecture, as the BIM manager I would like the design teams to choose only approved families from a central design location. In autocad Architecture I could create custom project pallettes and push to the design teams, and update dynamically. This would also include a feature to reload a family in this project pallette and push to specified links, thus saving time from having to open in each link and reloading for minor changes in titleblocks mostly, but applies to all family types.

Center of gravity

by Advocate gatis on ‎11-21-2016 05:31 AM

It would be nice if we have ability to find center of gravity, it is very important for prefabrication elements (element material density must be taken into acount). Initially it could be simplifyed (rebars doesn't be taken into account, any other hosted elements) for calculation valid elements could be only standard columns, walls, stuctural framings. There is a lot of users who wants this feature, see pots. Topic 1 , Topic 2 or others.

Revit - Sort Design Option Sets in Alphabetical Order

by Explorer hpanchal on ‎06-08-2016 02:26 AM - last edited on ‎09-05-2016 07:19 AM |

Hello All,

We have got issue with design option Sets naming sequence in Revit. This is our client most requirement so please review in detail and try to implement this issue with current version or upcoming Revit version. Please see below our query:

I have attached herewith image grab in which I have highlighted with red color rectangle on it. As we have already added first floor design option sets and then we added second floor design option sets over there. Now as per client requirement we have to add ground floor design option sets, as you can see that ground floor design option showing automatically below second floor design option sets. As we would require that ground floor design option sets above the first floor design option sets. So if there is up / down option like we have already in filter commend as you can see I have attached image for your review in design option category that will be a lot helpful to us. I hope you can understand my question.

Therefore if you guys can resolve this issue and try to implement in current Revit version / upcoming version that will be very helpful to future work and we can give better service to our client.

So please do needful action on this issue and get back to me.

WIndows need to be fixed at the head height dimension and there should be a parameter that sets the head height of the window so that when the window gets modified it remains fixed at the head height. 

When creating parametric families it is essential to flex the parameter during the process over and over again to verify that they actually work as intended.  Currently I have to open the editor, flex the parameters, and finally close it again to be able to continue modelling the family.  A pretty cumbersome procedure...

A non-modal "Family Types" editor, which could stay open during the modelling procedure, would make it easier to test the parameters during the modelling procedure.

Stretch Tail at Section tags

by Participant payam.rad on ‎04-26-2017 11:05 AM - last edited on ‎04-26-2017 11:07 AM |

Can we get the tails at the section Tags to be stretchable? Please!

Capture.JPG

Project units - Create a customized symbol

by Contributor sophie.perron on ‎08-09-2016 09:11 AM - last edited on ‎09-05-2016 06:28 AM |

As a french person, I would like to change the "square feet" symbol (SF or ft²) for pi² into all the project, including schedules, tags, etc.

We could be able to customize the unit symbol for Area, Volume and Mass Density units.

Maybe to add a new field "Customize" underneath "None" in Project Units / Area / Format / Unit symbol could do it.

Thank you :-)

Sophie

Option to name objects

by Enthusiast rsahayUZMK9 on ‎02-01-2017 07:52 AM

Would be helpful in organization - for example, possibly call out the FRONT DOOR out of a dozen similar doors, GUIDELINE out of a mess of lines.

I would like to have a parameter for the dimension linetype and dimension extension linetype to be available within the Type Properties window.  For example, create a dimension that has the dimension lines to show as dashed, hidden, or any other linetype....same with extension lines.  Only way to create this now is to select each dimension created and override by element....

a.jpgb.jpg

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube