Revit Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Revit team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

I build a lot of parametric families for the company I work for, quite literally 1,000's per year.  I take it as a personal challenge to make a part with the least number of user inputs and the greatest amount of accuracy I can.  The screenshot below is an example of a Medical Gas alarm panel, 3 of them actually.  Of course it's a parametric model, based on the number of nozzles it has, they change dimension in the X and Y axis, and number of ports available.  

It would make families much cleaner in these situations if a connector can be turned off or disabled from use, driven by check mark, or any other method of formula to automate this!  This would also reduce confusion to our detailers having random floating connectors they aren't supposed to use anyway.

I realize I could save copies of each version with the connectors deleted and additional nozzles deleted, but come on, we could also just stay detailing with AutoCAD and inserting dumb (stupid) blocks, because that's essentially the same thing.

powerexalarm.jpg

Lets start with telling me dynamically if I am routing through different (selectable) elements, like beams, columns, pipes and ducts but not walls. Its important for this to work with Linked files and highlight them on the fly. 

Secondly, routing solutions should avoid these items as well (with a toggle). Solutions generated should route around other elements without creating a clash. Waypoints could help this process by creating 3d locations that you would like to route through (like an opening you would like to route through).

At a deeper level we should start thinking of ways to implement Local and international code based rules into Architectural & MEP modeling. For example trap arm distances for plumbing. or stay within 1-5/8" of the bottom of deck, or offset around structural elements and other MEP systems, pipe slope based on size, distance and system type. Rules that can be dictated and changed and warn your when there is a violation. 

If we are going for pie-in-the-sky- revit could use a major overhaul (Revit user since 2006)

This is in 5 parts:

1. Family categories open for editing/purging -base system components remain with GUIDs intact
    • Family-dependent subcategories with their own GUID- Creating "door.frame" makes the "frame" compatible with all "door" family types, scheduled by its own subtype, or as a subtype of door (e.g. door schedule parameter door.frame[all subcategories of door available here to door.frame]
  1. Linetypes editable//accessible by GUID in the linetype editor:
    • Show/ Use [None |<System> | NickName |  Generative]
      1. None= not allowed/shown for use in this project
      2. <System>=use default system name (greyed out for non-system items)
      3. NickName to show user-defined names for sets
      4. Generative = use generative system to generate names and sets (Given formula and data generate line type and name them by a formula)
    • Substitute Linteype (For each non-conforming linetype)
      1. Map unused linetypes to the next adjacent
      2. Map imported mismatched linetypes to those allowed
      3. [conform] to permanently re-map the linetype
      4. [Save] list mappings [GUIDs -> Remapped]
  1. All components are shared and reliant upon #1 to identify family sub-content. Sub-content can be brought into a family along with generic annotations.
  2. Open database allows for any component and host components in families to be referenced using intellisense. E.g. in a door family, the "host<WALL>.structure.core.width" is accessible as a variable, as would be " host<WALL>.structure.core[1].material.identity.type
  3. Database integrated and accessible on a LIVE bases - e.g. Built into SQL
    • where database can be queried,
    • or manipulated by an outside source.
    • Common database lookup could provide 'open source' subfamilies with common GUIDs provided VIA blessed content by Autodesk for use by all (Translated options available for "Nicknames" - GUIDS remain the same for same content- us Machine learning to map across languages and concepts).

VB style formulas with VB functions (Including concatenate, string manipulation and REGEX!)

All menu and components can be modified/remapped - e.g.

• coarse/med/fine can be remapped and supplemented: LOD100<Coarse>, LOD200<med>, LOD300, LOD400<fine>, LOD500
  • Profiles and other components can tie into this system using the <SYSTEM> names or NickNames (Nick names appears on the list)

And soforth- a complete overhaul.

Underlay Linked Files

by Explorer lee on ‎03-22-2017 07:03 AM

It would be very useful if we could underlay linked files, especially on floor plans where we also need to show the ceiling.

Wall Base Parameter

by Contributor richc on ‎03-24-2017 10:58 AM

We would like to request a wall base (sweep) parameter within the wall family in Revit. A simple toggle to turn on/off a sweep or set of sweep options that could be used as base in a project. Having a wall family with this on/off parameter would be substantial in visualization, QC and overall accurate 3D models going forward.

Currently, when in the family environment, we can "Paint" surfaces of elements with Family [material] Parameters using the Paint tool.

What we need is the ability to do the same thing with Global [material] Parameters in the project environment.

For example, I can create a Global Parameter called "Dining Room Paint" and paint that parameter on all the Dining Room walls.  That way, when the client changes the paint color in the Dining Room, all I have to change is the Global Parameter.  Right now, I have to either have a Material dedicated to "Dining Room Paint" (and clog up the already slow material browser), or I have to go repaint all the Dining Room walls with the new color.

This feature would also allow us to synchronize our finish schedule with our model since we already create global parameters for all the room finishes and link our Room family parameters to those global parameters (this comes in handy for reporting room finishes in the schedule and keeping the cabinets and trim modeled in each room consistent with the schedule)

Currently the dialog "Overriding Visibility and Graphic" has very little interest when it is used in a sheet.
It would be desirable for a template to be made which will apply to all the views present in the sheet, for example, to mask all the working sections, to apply a particular filter to certain elements, etc.
This would greatly reduce the number seen, and thus the number of templates, necessary for all particular cases to be printed.
In Autocad, it is quite possible to have some layers frozen in "Space Paper" and not in "Space Object". Same thing for the colors ...

Colours for materials

by Explorer laura.gonzalez on ‎03-26-2017 05:34 AM

When we choose a material pattern, its colour is applied in lines of the pattern unless we choose solid fill. In order to avoid creating a lot of filters, it would be helpful to be able to select one colour for the pattern, and if this is not a solid, another for its background.

Section Box - not just Box

by Contributor DMK™ on ‎03-10-2017 03:07 AM - last edited on ‎03-10-2017 03:08 AM |

It would be greate to create not just rectangular views but w/ complex shape, to make some cutouts or trapeze views, etc. 

54w1Xn6

Sloping reveal

by Explorer carolaaquino on ‎03-14-2017 08:34 AM

I would like the insertion of the inclined reveal on the wall, not just vertically or horizontally, as in the image below.

2011-12-02 10.21.35.jpg 

"Building Story" parameter of Level to define "Level Above" in View Range

by Explorer djohansing on ‎03-08-2017 06:23 AM - last edited on ‎03-08-2017 06:35 AM |

It would make sense that this parameter should affect more than just the IFC export.

We need a way to control which levels are actually the bottom of a building story in more contexts than the IFC export. Currently "Level Above" in a view range will look at the next level above even if that level object is used for another purpose.

Now we have Depth Cueing, this is a great tool, but it make your views to print in raster.

I Would like to have some kind of View Range with 3 or 5 zones that behave like View Depth (with and editable line category that orverride all elements in it's range, like <Beyond> line style do. And also, we have the option to adjust the distance and depth of all these zones with a interface similar to View Range.

These zones could be called Depth Plane 1, Depth Plane 2, etc.. for example, maybe there is a lot of better naming options.

Render Grass

by Advocate MatthewTino on ‎03-12-2017 10:15 PM

I would love it to be able to provide a realistic render of grass without having to export to another program. The current tiled pattern for grass looks terrible.

Make all kinds of view filters work with linked files

by Enthusiast m.vallee on ‎03-14-2017 02:07 AM - last edited on ‎03-14-2017 02:16 AM |

When you create then apply (with the API) view filters on view plans that have "linked" parts, these view filters can also be applied on the linked parts.

However :

• it has to be rule-based filters. Selection-based filters don't work : you can add to a newly created view filter (which resides in the main document) IDs of elements that belong to a linked document, but that will do nothing because Revit looks for elements in the main document (you can end up filtering elements in the main document that you don't want, if IDs are similar !).

With the UI : you cannot add an element from a linked model to a selection set for filter

• rule-based filters that use parameters stored with an ElementId (like levels, etc) don't work because these IDs values refer to elements from the main document...

With the UI : you can make for instance a rule-based filter for rooms based on level parameter (BuiltInParameter.ROOM_LEVEL_ID). But the possible values are levels from the main document only, you don't have the levels whose IDs reside in linkeds documents.

What can Autodesk propose to us, developers, who want to programmatically produce colored view plans based on rooms' parameters values AND print these view plans?

• We can't access with the API what Revit calls "color schemes"
  • If we use the subcategory "Interior fills" and make colored view filters, these rooms' "interior fills" are then NOT printable ! This seems to be intended behavior (so that only color schemes "print"). This behaviour is however not respected when dealing with linked files : rooms'"interior fills" from the linked file DO print...

Corresponding entry in Autodesk database : CF-3558 [API wish: create colouring scheme with full access to control RGB colors -- 11225814]

Pop out 3D window

by Explorer dan.barnes on ‎02-08-2017 01:32 AM

It would be great if you could have a live 3D view in a separate pop out window so that it can be moved around independently of the Revit window. I find having the 3D view open in a window tile situation very awkward to use.
Currently Revit supports the ability to pop out the properties palette and project browser and this is extremely useful, especially when using Revit on dual monitors.

Display Ramp Path Arrow

by Advocate samuelsanf on ‎03-01-2017 11:25 AM

Make the Ramps show the arrow of it paths, like stairs.

Allow preview option when editing roof, similar to the railing sketch preview.

Convert Shadows to Filled Region - Elevatons

by Enthusiast craig.harrison-smith on ‎03-02-2017 04:20 AM - last edited on ‎03-24-2017 12:42 PM |

One problem we have with the shadows function in Revit is the forcing to Raster at print. It reduces the quality of elevation drawings and means the pdf output is not vector.

There are workarounds but being able to automatically recreate shadows as filled regions on elevations would be especially useful.

So far Dynamo seem to not be able to tackle this either.

Thanks

Dear Sir/Madam,

I’d like to place on record my fondness for the software and the advantage it has brought to the Architecture industry. However, I have some feedback regarding revit families (RFA) which I would like to be passed on to the software development powers that be.

What the hell is going on? When was the Pre-installed Revit library last updated? It seems like we have the same library from 2008!!! For a product that costs thousands of pounds/dollars for a network license for collaboration, it is utterly appalling.

I have been using Revit in an Architect firm for nearly 4 years and have been championing the software during my firm’s transition from AutoCAD and sketchup. It is hard enough trying to convince the nay-sayers of the benefits of Revit when they are so stuck in their ways and backwards thinking, especially when you try and edit the standard families and they end up like this:

Speciality_Equipment_Escalator_w-Steps.JPG

Apologies for the language, but seriously, WHAT THE F**K IS GOING ON AND WHO BUILT / IS BUILDING THESE PIECES OF S**T?!?!

I know you can get families from some manufacturers but a lot of them aren't built very well and most don't have BIM models available for their products, from my experience.

Please can you invest some of your profits into improving your Revit family library and the quality of the families themselves. A colleague of mine showed me the equivalent in ArchiCAD and what they are doing makes a mockery of the Revit families.

Please sort this out because it is letting the user base down and causing delays to projects – especially when you go to edit/duplicate a family and it freaks out and says “no, sorry, I can’t change this escalator from 4000mm to 2650mm”. This then fuels the backwards thinking AutoCAD guy in resisting to embrace Revit and helping the industry move forward - which it is struggling to do.

By having a more complete, comprehensive and clean family library that comes installed with the software, Architects and other professionals will benefit greatly in delivering the service they aspire to.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts, and I HOPE, some productive action is taken on this. 

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Labels

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube