Revit Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Revit team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

I build a lot of parametric families for the company I work for, quite literally 1,000's per year.  I take it as a personal challenge to make a part with the least number of user inputs and the greatest amount of accuracy I can.  The screenshot below is an example of a Medical Gas alarm panel, 3 of them actually.  Of course it's a parametric model, based on the number of nozzles it has, they change dimension in the X and Y axis, and number of ports available.  

It would make families much cleaner in these situations if a connector can be turned off or disabled from use, driven by check mark, or any other method of formula to automate this!  This would also reduce confusion to our detailers having random floating connectors they aren't supposed to use anyway.

I realize I could save copies of each version with the connectors deleted and additional nozzles deleted, but come on, we could also just stay detailing with AutoCAD and inserting dumb (stupid) blocks, because that's essentially the same thing.

powerexalarm.jpg

Lets start with telling me dynamically if I am routing through different (selectable) elements, like beams, columns, pipes and ducts but not walls. Its important for this to work with Linked files and highlight them on the fly. 

Secondly, routing solutions should avoid these items as well (with a toggle). Solutions generated should route around other elements without creating a clash. Waypoints could help this process by creating 3d locations that you would like to route through (like an opening you would like to route through).

At a deeper level we should start thinking of ways to implement Local and international code based rules into Architectural & MEP modeling. For example trap arm distances for plumbing. or stay within 1-5/8" of the bottom of deck, or offset around structural elements and other MEP systems, pipe slope based on size, distance and system type. Rules that can be dictated and changed and warn your when there is a violation. 

If we are going for pie-in-the-sky- revit could use a major overhaul (Revit user since 2006)

This is in 5 parts:

1. Family categories open for editing/purging -base system components remain with GUIDs intact
    • Family-dependent subcategories with their own GUID- Creating "door.frame" makes the "frame" compatible with all "door" family types, scheduled by its own subtype, or as a subtype of door (e.g. door schedule parameter door.frame[all subcategories of door available here to door.frame]
  1. Linetypes editable//accessible by GUID in the linetype editor:
    • Show/ Use [None |<System> | NickName |  Generative]
      1. None= not allowed/shown for use in this project
      2. <System>=use default system name (greyed out for non-system items)
      3. NickName to show user-defined names for sets
      4. Generative = use generative system to generate names and sets (Given formula and data generate line type and name them by a formula)
    • Substitute Linteype (For each non-conforming linetype)
      1. Map unused linetypes to the next adjacent
      2. Map imported mismatched linetypes to those allowed
      3. [conform] to permanently re-map the linetype
      4. [Save] list mappings [GUIDs -> Remapped]
  1. All components are shared and reliant upon #1 to identify family sub-content. Sub-content can be brought into a family along with generic annotations.
  2. Open database allows for any component and host components in families to be referenced using intellisense. E.g. in a door family, the "host<WALL>.structure.core.width" is accessible as a variable, as would be " host<WALL>.structure.core[1].material.identity.type
  3. Database integrated and accessible on a LIVE bases - e.g. Built into SQL
    • where database can be queried,
    • or manipulated by an outside source.
    • Common database lookup could provide 'open source' subfamilies with common GUIDs provided VIA blessed content by Autodesk for use by all (Translated options available for "Nicknames" - GUIDS remain the same for same content- us Machine learning to map across languages and concepts).

VB style formulas with VB functions (Including concatenate, string manipulation and REGEX!)

All menu and components can be modified/remapped - e.g.

• coarse/med/fine can be remapped and supplemented: LOD100<Coarse>, LOD200<med>, LOD300, LOD400<fine>, LOD500
  • Profiles and other components can tie into this system using the <SYSTEM> names or NickNames (Nick names appears on the list)

And soforth- a complete overhaul.

Create Reference Planes in 3D view

by Mentor on ‎03-22-2017 12:49 AM

When dealing with complex geometry, it is crucial to be able to create Reference Planes in 3D view, by either pick a pre-existing planar face, or pick 3 points (similar to AutoCAD's 3-point UCS).  

Dear Autodesk,

Please allow us to add multiple links at one time, this is when links share the same shared coordinates system or insertion point.

We work on large scale projects with sometime 35-70 links, the files are nested with shared coordinates, When creating master plans or nesting the consultants files it would be fantastic if I could link in one go rather than having to link one at a time.

Even if the links needed to be moved to the correct internal location, linking multiple would save us time.

Thanks, and I hope others would love this function too!

Hello,

In some cases, it is relatively difficult to create a family for all the existing situations in real life. For example, a plumbing manhole. The latter can have from 2 to 4 (or even more) connections with, for each, different heights and slopes. The realization of such a family quickly becomes rather difficult to make and relatively unstable to modifications within a project.
The possibility of having virtual connections would solve many problems of this kind.

For Ducts and Cable Trays the Offset should follow the Vertical Justification. For Example, if you draw a Cable Tray with the vertikal justification "Bottom" and an offset of 23cm, the offset displayed is 28cm instead. For our MEP people the situation is always very unfavorable, since they never look at the middle axis, but always at the top or bottom edge of a cable tray or duct.

Cable_Tray_Offset.png

Copy Hot Key

by Enthusiast jkucia on ‎03-22-2017 11:56 AM

Sometimes, when I edit an object (let's say Draw Mirror for the sake of argument), I want to copy.  Sometimes, I don't want to copy.  However, it's a bit of a time-waster to have to click the "Copy" box on and off as needed.  For most of these kinds of operations a hot-keypress (like "CTRL" perhaps) should engage or disengage the Copy feature.  Ideally with a plus/minus addendum to the cursor so we can quickly discern whether copy is on or off.

Hello,

I am trying to fix the issue of The default software code written to convert "Fixture Units (FU)" to "Flow (GPM)" via Hunter’s Curve does not account for fixture units below 5FU for "Predominantly Flush Valve Supply Systems." It currently assumes 15.0 GPM for anything  ≤5FU for “Predominantly Flush Valve Supply Systems”

Please develop the .dll file and .addin file so the Flush Valve System has the correct GPM for under 5FU so it does not assume 15.0 GPM.

To see more, please see these two posts.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-mep-forum/pipe-annalysis-revit-pipe-sizing-flow-gpm/m-p/6951000...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/usermep-calculation-addin/td-p/4968174

Copy/Monitor Options

by Explorer alexandra.lazar on ‎02-24-2017 06:27 AM

It would be extremely helpful to have the possibility to give the types of Levels/Grids/Colums/Walls/Floors the copy option "Copy original Type" at once. For example you could integrate this option with the "Additional Copy Parameters" (see pic).

copy_monitor_options.png

HERE IS A LINK to an article and screencast which I created relating to this issue... 

The problem with aligned dimensions is that you struggle to reference to a proper or desired Reference Point when instances are not parallel to each other.

Another problem is that you do not have the option under general modeling to use/draw a "POINT" (Similar to the point reference option in AutoCAD).

There is only one place in Revit where a Point Reference is available which is under conceptual mass modeling or mass families. (See image below): 

1-point-1.png

Furthermore, using mass point references is "messy" when used, so this is not an option or viable workaround at this stage. 

It should really not be difficult for the development team to implement the "Point" or "Point Reference" under the general Revit Draw Toolbox. It will resolve a couple of issues for software users and it will simplify certain workflows. This will be useful in all disciplines as I've longed for a Point in Revit on many occasions for various reasons. 

HERE IS JUST ANOTHER example of why the Point or Point Reference would be useful in the general Draw Toolbox of Revit. 

I have large air spaces in my walls for ductwork and plumbing, the material itself is fully transparent in both Appearance and Graphics. It is also marked as an airspace in the wall definition. Despite this, the walls only show the plumbing that traverses through the view, nothing in "elevation". It's like the wall is filled with white "Goop" instead of being empty.

Walls.jpg

It would be nice for airspaces to just show what is inside the wall cavities, especially if it is marked as a wall airspace and totally transparent. This would help with coordination.

To me, reveal hidden elements does not really reveal hidden elements. Sure, it reveals elements that were turned of categorically and individually, but what about those that were turned off via Workset or Filter or by other means? Reveal Hidden Elements does not do that.

In addition to the following requests on this forum:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/reveal-overridden-elements/idi-p/6364095

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/visually-differentiate-manually-hidden-elements-from-hidd...

I think Reveal Hidden Elements needs to go further. Perhaps something similar to the Worksharing Display where it color codes elements that are hidden by category, individually, workset, filter, etc. 

Feel free to add to this if you like

Eliminate ROOMS and use SPACES

by Advocate ron.allen on ‎03-02-2017 02:59 PM - last edited on ‎03-02-2017 03:02 PM |

Spaces could replace rooms

Some categories are still lingering in rooms:

• DOORS
  • ???

Should be easy enough to build tables of DOORS VS. SPACES.

Since Revit is back to one flavor, doors (and other components) could be associated with SPACES allowing for KEY schedules to specify occupancies, heat loads, people counts, and everything managed though spaces.

Combine this with shared parameters in key schedules and we can leverage data in really big ways!

ps- dump the north/south/east/west text fields for finishes... We'd rather use material parameters for primary, secondary and tertiary colors for finishes! : )

Thnx!

I have a forum post on this entire topic here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-mep-forum/pipe-fitting-tee-not-showing-symbolic-linework/m-p/69...

Essentially, the pipe elbow and tee down symbols don't allow for proper setup in order to look the way most folks want.

In the forum post above you can get more info, but Revit won't allow us to set the 2-line view to appear this way without affecting the 1-line symbols.

Here is an example of how I'd like to be able to show everything. This can't be achieved with the current setup (in 2016 and 2017).

AND     

My thoughts on how this could be achieved:

1. Add extra options within the Object Styles/VG overrides for Pipe Rise/Drop for BOTH 2-line and 1-line piping.

OR

2. Allow for symbolic lines to actually appear within a "Tee" part type pipe fitting family.

It would be nice to have MEP connectors be available for connection in a linked model. Also, these connectors should be able to be added to a system or circuit. There are many projects where mechanical, electrical and plumbing are split into multiple models in various ways. It would be helpful to have the same system creation functionality across linked models.

2D 3D

by Advocate daniel.voinkov on ‎02-21-2017 08:58 PM

add the ability to transfer from "3D to 2D" and from "2D to 3D" for tool "COLLOR FILL LEGEND" 

Emergency Lighting - Parameter for controlling material

by Enthusiast kameron.manyrathV9XX5 on ‎03-16-2017 10:07 AM - last edited on ‎03-16-2017 10:08 AM |

I'd like to be able to assign an EMERGENCY (red) material to a lighting fixture and have the ability to control its visibility via the EM_Shading parameter that is tied to a material used to show emergency fixtures.

At present, we are not able to use a formula to control the material, so we end up making multiple types or use duplicate geometry and controlling it with a yes/no visibility option.  Other option was to use a detailed item, but those do not show up in the 3D views or 3D export to Navisworks. It's nice to be able to differentiate emergency fixtures from regular ones in 3D, instead of only on floor plans (if using detailed items).

Can we get the border of Labels to be snappable?

Revit Tag Image 1.png

The end goal is to have a pill shape boarder around the Item Number and have it adjust in length based on the number of characters in the tag. The work around is to have multiple types but to be honest the sheer quantity of items we fabricators place tags on will add time to the Renumbering process adjusting these. Below are some images to help explain what I am talking about.

Revit Tag Image 2.pngRevit Tag Image 3.pngRevit Tag Image 4.png

Allow to Schedule Loss method, Loss Method Setting, and specific coefficient

by Advocate mdengusiak on ‎10-23-2016 09:53 AM - last edited on ‎11-22-2016 11:59 AM |

Please allow us to schedule:

1. Loss method Setting,

2. Loss Method,

3. specific coefficient,

4. pressure drop

for piping, ducting fittings and accessories so we can verify and control sizing. Also we can apply ourselves any standards in the world.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Labels

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube