Revit Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Revit team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

I build a lot of parametric families for the company I work for, quite literally 1,000's per year.  I take it as a personal challenge to make a part with the least number of user inputs and the greatest amount of accuracy I can.  The screenshot below is an example of a Medical Gas alarm panel, 3 of them actually.  Of course it's a parametric model, based on the number of nozzles it has, they change dimension in the X and Y axis, and number of ports available.  

It would make families much cleaner in these situations if a connector can be turned off or disabled from use, driven by check mark, or any other method of formula to automate this!  This would also reduce confusion to our detailers having random floating connectors they aren't supposed to use anyway.

I realize I could save copies of each version with the connectors deleted and additional nozzles deleted, but come on, we could also just stay detailing with AutoCAD and inserting dumb (stupid) blocks, because that's essentially the same thing.

powerexalarm.jpg

If we are going for pie-in-the-sky- revit could use a major overhaul (Revit user since 2006)

This is in 5 parts:

1. Family categories open for editing/purging -base system components remain with GUIDs intact
    • Family-dependent subcategories with their own GUID- Creating "door.frame" makes the "frame" compatible with all "door" family types, scheduled by its own subtype, or as a subtype of door (e.g. door schedule parameter door.frame[all subcategories of door available here to door.frame]
  1. Linetypes editable//accessible by GUID in the linetype editor:
    • Show/ Use [None |<System> | NickName |  Generative]
      1. None= not allowed/shown for use in this project
      2. <System>=use default system name (greyed out for non-system items)
      3. NickName to show user-defined names for sets
      4. Generative = use generative system to generate names and sets (Given formula and data generate line type and name them by a formula)
    • Substitute Linteype (For each non-conforming linetype)
      1. Map unused linetypes to the next adjacent
      2. Map imported mismatched linetypes to those allowed
      3. [conform] to permanently re-map the linetype
      4. [Save] list mappings [GUIDs -> Remapped]
  1. All components are shared and reliant upon #1 to identify family sub-content. Sub-content can be brought into a family along with generic annotations.
  2. Open database allows for any component and host components in families to be referenced using intellisense. E.g. in a door family, the "host<WALL>.structure.core.width" is accessible as a variable, as would be " host<WALL>.structure.core[1].material.identity.type
  3. Database integrated and accessible on a LIVE bases - e.g. Built into SQL
    • where database can be queried,
    • or manipulated by an outside source.
    • Common database lookup could provide 'open source' subfamilies with common GUIDs provided VIA blessed content by Autodesk for use by all (Translated options available for "Nicknames" - GUIDS remain the same for same content- us Machine learning to map across languages and concepts).

VB style formulas with VB functions (Including concatenate, string manipulation and REGEX!)

All menu and components can be modified/remapped - e.g.

• coarse/med/fine can be remapped and supplemented: LOD100<Coarse>, LOD200<med>, LOD300, LOD400<fine>, LOD500
  • Profiles and other components can tie into this system using the <SYSTEM> names or NickNames (Nick names appears on the list)

And soforth- a complete overhaul.

Dear Autodesk,

Please allow us to add multiple links at one time, this is when links share the same shared coordinates system or insertion point.

We work on large scale projects with sometime 35-70 links, the files are nested with shared coordinates, When creating master plans or nesting the consultants files it would be fantastic if I could link in one go rather than having to link one at a time.

Even if the links needed to be moved to the correct internal location, linking multiple would save us time.

Thanks, and I hope others would love this function too!

I've recently been involved in some tests linking IFC files created in Archicad into a Revit project.  There is a major issue with this as the linked IFC file is located using Revit's internal origin and not the project base point.

Revit has been specifically set up to work using the survey point and project base point and for successful collaboration it needs to be able to link IFC files in the correct geographical location.  Currently the test model I'm linking is so far from the origin the geometry is completely corrupt and unusable.

Cheers

K.

Revit Integration with Excel

by Contributor rana.hamed on ‎03-16-2017 03:45 AM - last edited on ‎03-27-2017 12:11 PM |

We need a lot to have a full- direct integrated tool between Revit and excel,

which enable us to export an excel sheet from Revit , update the schedule and the exported parameter values in excel , import again in Revit , and by default all updated data that has been modified in excel , to be updated in Revit too after import.

Add 'Notes' to schedules.

by Advisor Keith.Wilkinson on ‎03-14-2017 04:12 AM

I'd like to be able to add notes to a schedule to add clarity to what some of the columns relate to and caveats about the data contained therein.

Currently this would be covered when we put the schedule on a sheet by adding a legend or similar but as the industry is progressing with BIM there is a much greater requirement to transfer schedules digitally in spreadsheet format.  At that point they become separated from the associated drawing and for this reason I'd like these notes to be an embedded part of the schedule that would be exported when the schedule is exported. 

Cheers

K.

To me, reveal hidden elements does not really reveal hidden elements. Sure, it reveals elements that were turned of categorically and individually, but what about those that were turned off via Workset or Filter or by other means? Reveal Hidden Elements does not do that.

In addition to the following requests on this forum:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/reveal-overridden-elements/idi-p/6364095

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/visually-differentiate-manually-hidden-elements-from-hidd...

I think Reveal Hidden Elements needs to go further. Perhaps something similar to the Worksharing Display where it color codes elements that are hidden by category, individually, workset, filter, etc. 

Feel free to add to this if you like

Allow the creation of schedules which can include all object category's including system family's.

currently system family's can't be included in multi category schedules.

This means model data checks on generic parameters need multiple schedules.

Opening this would intheory also allow more powerful relation scheduling.

For example door-wall, fitting wall. All objects relating to a space etcetera.

Despite being able to link IFC files, it is not possible to acquire its coordinates.

To workaround this limitation, I need to open the IFC file to create a RVT file, then link this RVT file and acquire its coordinates.

It would be more straightforward to be able to get coordinates from the ifc file.

Add access to host object parameters information- for example in a wall-hosted family:

HOST.EXTERIOR.WIDTH

HOST.CORE.WIDTH

HOST.INTERIOR.WIDTH

Eliminate ROOMS and use SPACES

by Advocate ron.allen on ‎03-02-2017 02:59 PM - last edited on ‎03-02-2017 03:02 PM |

Spaces could replace rooms

Some categories are still lingering in rooms:

• DOORS
  • ???

Should be easy enough to build tables of DOORS VS. SPACES.

Since Revit is back to one flavor, doors (and other components) could be associated with SPACES allowing for KEY schedules to specify occupancies, heat loads, people counts, and everything managed though spaces.

Combine this with shared parameters in key schedules and we can leverage data in really big ways!

ps- dump the north/south/east/west text fields for finishes... We'd rather use material parameters for primary, secondary and tertiary colors for finishes! : )

Thnx!

Can we have wall wraps at End 1 & End 2 as Instance Parameters?

Can we have more flexibility for unlocking wall layers and extending them? It would be nice to be able to unlock any layer we want and extend them.

Sash Kazeminejad

Ideate, Inc.

When Expanding a warning, it would be great if we can click to highlight and select the actual element ID #, so that we can search for it. Better yet, make the "show in the model" feature available!

ID.JPG

There are times in which I like to copy or array levels just for speed. Afterwards, if I want a plan view, I have to Views > Plan Views  and then pick floor plans and ceiling plans separately. While this is not a huge deal, it would be nice if we select a level and then hit copy or array, we have the option to create floor plans, ceiling plans, and structural plans from the Options bar.

Again it is not the hugest deal to create the plans afterwards, but having this simple functionality would help a little bit.

Sash

Either Publish the shared coordinate from Revit to the point cloud file or get it from the point cloud file.

Ability to use shared coordinates between Revit and Recap

Example:

When you start a new project or have an existing one. The first thing to do is to define the shared coordinate where everyone sticks to.

This can be a physical object (survey marker) in the real world like you see below.

When you scan the new or existing location you could set the shared origin and publish it to all other team members.

meetpunt.png

Note: As this is an idea that is related to Recp and Revit I placed the Idea also on the Recap360 Idea Forum

Much like how landings have the flexibility to be modified by push/pulling the control grips (blue arrows), I would like this capability with the first and last tread of each stair run in a component stair.

In order to avoid having 'Jump' railings and to keep the railings at 3'-6" and 3'-0" respectively, we have to convert our component stairs to sketch-based to modify these treads to be 6" and 1'-5" (tread + 6").

Would it be possible to make this feature parametric? This would allow us to keep the stair runs by ‘component’, which would be a huge jump in productivity and ease of use:

Details.pngRevit comp stair converted sketch w dimensions.jpg

AutoCAD Civil 3D feat. Revit

by Contributor Ing.IvanGIUSTI on ‎02-21-2017 12:11 PM

I'd like a lot of AutoCAD Civil 3D tools will be incorporated into Revit to improve integration between the disciplines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t59MHn23Eic&t=408s, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUUKZ_dc4oA&t=47....

I was surprised to find out that material texture images are not gathered up by the E-transmit process. Instead, they must be "manually copied".

This is a bit ridiculous, since it would involve making a list of used materials and then going to hunt for them manually. Even if your firm has a proper material library, this is an inefficient and error-prone workflow/endeavor.

I would add an option to gather up the materials and CAD files when using E-transmit. To be more precise, everything that is on this list should have an option to be included.

There is a lot of situations where we find basements unde the ground in an open area without a building on top. So my Idea is to get the result of keeping the Toposurface on top of a Building Pad or having a new tool for doing Caving under the Surface.

Today we have to do workarounds with Mass Families or Floors over a basement, but if it has to be a ground surface it's hard to accomplish.

While I am not a huge fan of using detail lines, there are times in which they are needed. We need to have the ability to keynote and tag items such as :

1. Repeating details

2. Detail Lines

3. Batt Insulation

4. Certain Legend Components

5. Filled Regions

6. and whatever else I missed

Sash Kazeminejad

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Labels

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube