Revit Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Revit team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

I build a lot of parametric families for the company I work for, quite literally 1,000's per year.  I take it as a personal challenge to make a part with the least number of user inputs and the greatest amount of accuracy I can.  The screenshot below is an example of a Medical Gas alarm panel, 3 of them actually.  Of course it's a parametric model, based on the number of nozzles it has, they change dimension in the X and Y axis, and number of ports available.  

It would make families much cleaner in these situations if a connector can be turned off or disabled from use, driven by check mark, or any other method of formula to automate this!  This would also reduce confusion to our detailers having random floating connectors they aren't supposed to use anyway.

I realize I could save copies of each version with the connectors deleted and additional nozzles deleted, but come on, we could also just stay detailing with AutoCAD and inserting dumb (stupid) blocks, because that's essentially the same thing.

powerexalarm.jpg

Lets start with telling me dynamically if I am routing through different (selectable) elements, like beams, columns, pipes and ducts but not walls. Its important for this to work with Linked files and highlight them on the fly. 

Secondly, routing solutions should avoid these items as well (with a toggle). Solutions generated should route around other elements without creating a clash. Waypoints could help this process by creating 3d locations that you would like to route through (like an opening you would like to route through).

At a deeper level we should start thinking of ways to implement Local and international code based rules into Architectural & MEP modeling. For example trap arm distances for plumbing. or stay within 1-5/8" of the bottom of deck, or offset around structural elements and other MEP systems, pipe slope based on size, distance and system type. Rules that can be dictated and changed and warn your when there is a violation. 

If we are going for pie-in-the-sky- revit could use a major overhaul (Revit user since 2006)

This is in 5 parts:

1. Family categories open for editing/purging -base system components remain with GUIDs intact
    • Family-dependent subcategories with their own GUID- Creating "door.frame" makes the "frame" compatible with all "door" family types, scheduled by its own subtype, or as a subtype of door (e.g. door schedule parameter door.frame[all subcategories of door available here to door.frame]
  1. Linetypes editable//accessible by GUID in the linetype editor:
    • Show/ Use [None |<System> | NickName |  Generative]
      1. None= not allowed/shown for use in this project
      2. <System>=use default system name (greyed out for non-system items)
      3. NickName to show user-defined names for sets
      4. Generative = use generative system to generate names and sets (Given formula and data generate line type and name them by a formula)
    • Substitute Linteype (For each non-conforming linetype)
      1. Map unused linetypes to the next adjacent
      2. Map imported mismatched linetypes to those allowed
      3. [conform] to permanently re-map the linetype
      4. [Save] list mappings [GUIDs -> Remapped]
  1. All components are shared and reliant upon #1 to identify family sub-content. Sub-content can be brought into a family along with generic annotations.
  2. Open database allows for any component and host components in families to be referenced using intellisense. E.g. in a door family, the "host<WALL>.structure.core.width" is accessible as a variable, as would be " host<WALL>.structure.core[1].material.identity.type
  3. Database integrated and accessible on a LIVE bases - e.g. Built into SQL
    • where database can be queried,
    • or manipulated by an outside source.
    • Common database lookup could provide 'open source' subfamilies with common GUIDs provided VIA blessed content by Autodesk for use by all (Translated options available for "Nicknames" - GUIDS remain the same for same content- us Machine learning to map across languages and concepts).

VB style formulas with VB functions (Including concatenate, string manipulation and REGEX!)

All menu and components can be modified/remapped - e.g.

• coarse/med/fine can be remapped and supplemented: LOD100<Coarse>, LOD200<med>, LOD300, LOD400<fine>, LOD500
  • Profiles and other components can tie into this system using the <SYSTEM> names or NickNames (Nick names appears on the list)

And soforth- a complete overhaul.

Dear Autodesk,

Please allow us to add multiple links at one time, this is when links share the same shared coordinates system or insertion point.

We work on large scale projects with sometime 35-70 links, the files are nested with shared coordinates, When creating master plans or nesting the consultants files it would be fantastic if I could link in one go rather than having to link one at a time.

Even if the links needed to be moved to the correct internal location, linking multiple would save us time.

Thanks, and I hope others would love this function too!

Revit Integration with Excel

by Contributor rana.hamed on ‎03-16-2017 03:45 AM

We need a lot to have a full- direct integrated tool between Revit and excel,

which enable us to export an excel sheet from Revit , update the schedule and the exported parameter values in excel , import again in Revit , and by default all updated data that has been modified in excel , to be updated in Revit too after import.

Clean-up the Revit Ideas Forum

by Collaborator damo3 on ‎03-01-2017 02:25 AM

Before we can vote for good ideas, we have to be able to see them. We are now over 2500 ideas submitted. I can't realistically scroll through 130+ pages of ideas.  

• There are some really good ideas buried in this forum, most will never see past a dozen votes as they are cast to page 6 or 7 due to the influx of repetitive submissions. Some are complaints, not ideas. (The irony of that statement is not lost on me)
  • In the last 2 days, I have seen 6 ideas submitted that are exact replicas of others due to people not reading the forum guidelines. Item no 1: Check to see if your idea is similar to another's before posting!
  • Out of 2500+ ideas, less than a dozen have been 'archived'. The rest are apparently "gathering support". Now there is a loose term if I ever saw one. 

If this is going to be a serious platform for development and feedback from customers, it needs to be maintained better. With the automation tech today, this shouldn't have to be a burden for Autodesk. 

• Let's start with tightening the term "gathering support" to ideas with at least 20 votes or more. Create a new category called "New" or "Recent"
  • How about when ideas get new votes, it moves to the top, just like the Revit forum, posts that are years old float back to the top if someone comments. If it really is a good idea, it will stay at the top gathering votes and visible to all. If not, it will drop off. 
  • How about new ideas can't be posted until you click a message saying you did a search before posting. Sure you can just click past it, but its a good reminder. 
  • The auto "searching for similar posts" when writing the title should be just ideas, not forum posts from years ago. It just creates clutter. 
  • Give us sorting options. If I want to see ideas 'under review' I also want to sort just those ideas by highest kudos for example. 

Thanks all and hopefully we can get more out of this forum. 

Copy/Monitor Options

by Explorer alexandra.lazar on ‎02-24-2017 06:27 AM

It would be extremely helpful to have the possibility to give the types of Levels/Grids/Colums/Walls/Floors the copy option "Copy original Type" at once. For example you could integrate this option with the "Additional Copy Parameters" (see pic).

copy_monitor_options.png

With all the formatting and everything or you REALLY have to take schedules to the next level.

Revit's performance is severely compromised when there are multiple .RVT links--that is, there's long lag times with opening new views and using certain tools.

Would it be possible to improve Revit's performance, in this regard?

Since referencing other files is such a core part of the industry's workflow (no matter which BIM platform we use).

Make all kinds of view filters work with linked files

by Enthusiast m.vallee on ‎03-14-2017 02:07 AM - last edited on ‎03-14-2017 02:16 AM |

When you create then apply (with the API) view filters on view plans that have "linked" parts, these view filters can also be applied on the linked parts.

However :

• it has to be rule-based filters. Selection-based filters don't work : you can add to a newly created view filter (which resides in the main document) IDs of elements that belong to a linked document, but that will do nothing because Revit looks for elements in the main document (you can end up filtering elements in the main document that you don't want, if IDs are similar !).

With the UI : you cannot add an element from a linked model to a selection set for filter

• rule-based filters that use parameters stored with an ElementId (like levels, etc) don't work because these IDs values refer to elements from the main document...

With the UI : you can make for instance a rule-based filter for rooms based on level parameter (BuiltInParameter.ROOM_LEVEL_ID). But the possible values are levels from the main document only, you don't have the levels whose IDs reside in linkeds documents.

PDF Publish in Background

by Enthusiast rmarkowitz on ‎03-02-2017 04:23 PM

Hi - I would love to see Revit be able to publish PDFs (and DWGs for that matter) in the background. Currently one must print to a PDF, but that gums up all of Revit for the duration of the print job. 

It's nice to have the "File Path" parameter for use by Labels in Titleblocks. This currently tells us the user who made the print, as well as the project number and Revit version (because of our file & folder naming conventions). However, I think it would be more useful to have a "Central File Path" parameter (along with a "User Name" parameter so we don't loose that information without having to show both paths). Sometimes the file name is not a complete indication of the location of the central file (especially on more complex projects).

Add access to host object parameters information- for example in a wall-hosted family:

HOST.EXTERIOR.WIDTH

HOST.CORE.WIDTH

HOST.INTERIOR.WIDTH

Eliminate ROOMS and use SPACES

by Advocate ron.allen on ‎03-02-2017 02:59 PM - last edited on ‎03-02-2017 03:02 PM |

Spaces could replace rooms

Some categories are still lingering in rooms:

• DOORS
  • ???

Should be easy enough to build tables of DOORS VS. SPACES.

Since Revit is back to one flavor, doors (and other components) could be associated with SPACES allowing for KEY schedules to specify occupancies, heat loads, people counts, and everything managed though spaces.

Combine this with shared parameters in key schedules and we can leverage data in really big ways!

ps- dump the north/south/east/west text fields for finishes... We'd rather use material parameters for primary, secondary and tertiary colors for finishes! : )

Thnx!

Revit Idea Station: The Success Stories

by Collaborator matthew.taylor on ‎02-22-2017 01:51 AM - last edited on ‎02-22-2017 10:22 AM |

Hi,

Want to be heard by Autodesk? Want to be heard by the Autodesk Revit developers?

That's why I'm here, and that's why you're here too.

Wonder whether your ideas or the ideas you vote for are making an impact on decision making?

Here's an idea.

Autodesk, how about telling us how we're doing?

In the update documents, an asterisk is shown for updates due to bugs reported by the software users.

How about giving us a breakdown of improvements with each minor and major release?

e.g.

Autodesk Revit 2018 Feature List

Platform Enhancements

Major feature 1 (Roadmap item)

Major feature 2 (general improvement)

Major feature 3 (legacy wish list)

Major feature 4 (Revit Idea Station item. Kudos to @............)

Minor improvement 1 (Revit Idea Station item. Kudos to @............)

Minor improvement 2 (legacy wish list)

Structural Enhancements

Revit API Enhancements

Improvement 1 (Automatic new feature translation)

Improvement 2 (Revit Idea Station item. Kudos to @............)

etc etc

We want to know if we're making an impact!

Cheers,

-Matt

Dear Sir/Madam,

I’d like to place on record my fondness for the software and the advantage it has brought to the Architecture industry. However, I have some feedback regarding revit families (RFA) which I would like to be passed on to the software development powers that be.

What the hell is going on? When was the Pre-installed Revit library last updated? It seems like we have the same library from 2008!!! For a product that costs thousands of pounds/dollars for a network license for collaboration, it is utterly appalling.

I have been using Revit in an Architect firm for nearly 4 years and have been championing the software during my firm’s transition from AutoCAD and sketchup. It is hard enough trying to convince the nay-sayers of the benefits of Revit when they are so stuck in their ways and backwards thinking, especially when you try and edit the standard families and they end up like this:

Speciality_Equipment_Escalator_w-Steps.JPG

Apologies for the language, but seriously, WHAT THE F**K IS GOING ON AND WHO BUILT / IS BUILDING THESE PIECES OF S**T?!?!

I know you can get families from some manufacturers but a lot of them aren't built very well and most don't have BIM models available for their products, from my experience.

Please can you invest some of your profits into improving your Revit family library and the quality of the families themselves. A colleague of mine showed me the equivalent in ArchiCAD and what they are doing makes a mockery of the Revit families.

Please sort this out because it is letting the user base down and causing delays to projects – especially when you go to edit/duplicate a family and it freaks out and says “no, sorry, I can’t change this escalator from 4000mm to 2650mm”. This then fuels the backwards thinking AutoCAD guy in resisting to embrace Revit and helping the industry move forward - which it is struggling to do.

By having a more complete, comprehensive and clean family library that comes installed with the software, Architects and other professionals will benefit greatly in delivering the service they aspire to.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts, and I HOPE, some productive action is taken on this. 

It would be nice to have MEP connectors be available for connection in a linked model. Also, these connectors should be able to be added to a system or circuit. There are many projects where mechanical, electrical and plumbing are split into multiple models in various ways. It would be helpful to have the same system creation functionality across linked models.

Select All for Line Styles

by Explorer SChristensen on ‎02-09-2017 08:53 AM

Allow Select All instances in view and in project to apply to Line Styles.

View reference on workset

by Advocate Yien_Chao on ‎03-16-2017 01:00 PM
That would be very useful for controlling where references are visible in other views.
The scale visibility and filters is not very practical.

I would like to be able to select a group of views in the Project Browser at one time, then go to Properties Panel, then change all Visual Styles to whatever I want via a dropdown....Instead of opening each view and going to View Control Toolbar, to Visual Styles and selecting (each view at a time).

I know you can use a view template for the views but it would make sense to be able to select multiple views of the same category and change any aspect globally for all views at one time.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Labels

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube