Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide the "Local Copy" process

Hide the "Local Copy" process

The "Make Local Copy" concept is valid, but it should be invisible to the user.

Much like Revit Server or C4R, "regular" Revit should just make the Local Copy behind the scenes.

Currently, there are far too many ways to accidentally open the Central file.

Not to mention the difficultly of explaining to a new user this complicated process.

I have the Recent Files turned off on our deployment because we've had people open their Local File & work for a while only to find out that their Local was no longer compatible with the Central.

Likewise, we have to drill into people to NEVER double-click on a Revit file from Windows Explorer.

Once a project is Workshared, users should be able to just open that "Central" file.

Revit should ALWAYS make a Local Copy, and the creation of that file should be invisible to the user & should be in a hidden, temporary location.

User's should never have to decide which file (Central or Local) to open, and should not have to ensure that they do a SWC immediately after opening.

6 Comments
SeanSpence
Advocate

And selecting a link from the "Revit Links" portion of the "Project Browser" should automatically open a local and not the central file (which it currently does) also.

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.

KM_Springfield
Advocate

@dplumb_BWBR Could I suggest you try re-posting this idea with a different title, you could try something like "Open new local copy on double click of workshared project" or "Open new local instead of central copy on double click"

Also incorporate @SeanSpence 's comment into the new idea as it is also very valid.

I think your suggestion is brilliant but I never spotted it so I didn't vote for it Smiley Sad

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

I love when I get to bring archived stuff back. I'm happy to announce that Revit 2019.1 makes a significant change in this behavior with the new Revit HomeCheck it out and let us know what you think!

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report