Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide element(s) in selected views

Hide element(s) in selected views

I'd like to be able to select an element (or elements), right click, and have the option to 'Hide in selected views...', so I could choose from a list, all the views where I want it hidden, in a similar fashion to the 'Aligned to selected levels' option when pasting. It could also be complemented by 'Hide in all views except...' option

I know this can be achieved by using view templates, filters, etc. but it would be much faster and leaner.

14 Comments
JasonKunkel
Collaborator

I made an add-in that would hide an element in every view EXCEPT for the current view. Same problem and same basic solution, but it would be wonderful to have it built-in and implemented more cleanly as laid out above.

esk0r
Advocate

Nice!
It'd be nice to have the option to chose all the views where you want a particular object hidden, though.
This summer I shall be getting more serious with API tinkering. I'll give it a go myself then 🙂

timwaldock5907
Advocate

Anything that needs to be hdden in more than one view should be done by a more robust method - like Filters.

Hiding elements per view should be used as a last resort when categories, Filters etc won't or can't be used.  Otherwise it is bad Revit practise

lionel.kai
Advisor

This is a good idea, because if you try to use Filters, you'd have to make a Filter for each View (and not be able to manage them in View Templates). For example, 5 "buildings" all in one model. Partial plans that show parts of the adjacent buildings, but you don't want to show their grids/tags, etc. Each building has a set of grids with the building number as a prefix (bldg 1: 1-A,1-B,1-1,1-2, etc., bldg 2: 2-A,2-B,2-1,2-2, etc.) so you could make Filters (hide all grids that don't begin with "1-", "2-", etc.), but you'd have to either make separate View Templates for each building or not include filters in the view templates and manage them all separately... more work than just doing it manually in the first place. 🙂

jschnare
Contributor

Would be great if you could hide an object in all view except the one you just added it to.

tomek
Collaborator

This should also work as the inverse: hide selected elements from all views except the current one.

Tags (1)
jschnare
Contributor

Imagine when you add a new element to one view if it didn't show up in all other views, might seem counter productive, but it would be great in my industry. 

simple addition to drop down hide item option would be great

mgallowayNSEM5
Explorer

I would love this.  Especially when doing a site layout and the survey underlay then shows up in every other one of my views.

(Yes, I know about view templates but still this feature would be very welcome).

carlo.muffatoKS59R
Participant

I know it is an "already submitted idea" but...Really?

There's no simple way to do Hide in all views?? 

Creating fases, worksharing, do some magic...is it the best you can suggest to do the simplest thing in the world? 

Example: when I create a stair I also see the railing line also above the plan cut...It is the kind of stuff I NEVER want to see in any view...but, as I see, I have tho change this option for all views instead of telling Revit to hide in all views...

MANAGE>OBJECT STYLES - put the choice button also in there!

Thanks

Carlo

damo3
Advisor

I know this isn't what you want, but if you are not already, I would recommend getting a good understanding of View Templates and putting them into use to make what you want to do much easier. 

loboarch
Autodesk

I was going to suggest View templates as well, but if this is truly an "element" that needs hidden in all view, a view template does not work.

One could argue if you need something to not show in ANY view then why are you creating it in the first place?  Smiley Happy  The railing example is perhaps a good one where "stuff" gets kind of created automatically.

On a side note; If you know this is an already submitted Idea, please don't submit again. it just makes for extra items to sort through and look at when trying to use the Idea station.

lionel.kai
Advisor

@carlo.muffatoKS59R Regarding your issue with Stairs and Railings being shown above the Cut Plane: just turn off all the "<Above> ..." subcategories (as we do in our View Templates), since it's something you "NEVER want to see in any view". This idea is for hiding in some (but not all) views, where turning off the Category (to turn off ALL elements in ALL views) or creating a Filter (to turn off INDIVIDUAL elements in ALL views) won't work.

Manuela_SM
Advocate

That would be amazing because we lose time hiding element by element in each view we want. 

Evalucia
Enthusiast

It would be useful to be able to hide selected level(s) or grid(s) (or everything else) in multiple views at the same times.

For exemple, these options could be added :

- "hide everywhere but here" (so the level is hidden in every view exept the one you're in)

- "hide everywhere but selected view(s)" So we could select the views we want the level to appear and it would be hidden everywhere else.

- "hide only in selected view(s)" So we could select the views in wich we want the level to hide and it would be visible averywhere else.

My example is for levels, but it would be usefull for other things i'm sure.

It's very common to want certain levels to be hidden in a lot of views. It's long to open each one to select and hide thoses levels.

Or if we need to add a level later in the project and want to see it only in a couple of views, we need to go throught all the sheets to hide the new level on every view.

Tags (4)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report