Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter Slope Pipe

Filter Slope Pipe

In the filter function, for the pipes category, it would be nice to be able to thread on the slope parameter, either to play with the graphics in the plan view, or to create a selection filter.

Capture d’écran 2020-10-13 092957.jpg

9 Comments
pieterdewaal
Advocate

This is urgently required, thanks posting the idea.

I believe in principle that we should be able to filter any common parameter between elements.

pieterdewaal
Advocate

A follow-up workaround to schedule by slope (not filter though...):

Create the following calculated parameters:

Length: dely = top elevation - bottom elevation

Length: delx = sqrt(Length^2 - dely^2)

Slope: dely/delx

You can either filter dely/delx by "has no value" or delx < 0.1mm (allows some margin of error).

sead.redzepagic
Explorer

Can we please get this included in the next flavour of Revit. We would like to filter by pipe slope and have drainage check views to see which of our pipes do not have correct slope values assigned to them.

The pipe colour fill schemas cannot capture the correct values that we need them to. They can only catch a certain range or value but we cannot assign rules like in the filters dialog.

BIMdalorian
Participant

@pieterdewaal , any chance you can expound on that schedule post?

pieterdewaal
Advocate

@BIMdalorian

Please note that this doesn't allow filtering by slope, but you can schedule it.

Here's a snippet of a quick write-up I made:

Although it isn’t possible to filter sloping in a schedule directly, there are methods to bypass this get most vertical pipes. We are going to use the Pythagorean theorem to solve this.

pieterdewaal_0-1620025609618.png

We have the following information: top elevation, bottom elevation and length. We can easily calculate dely using the elevation difference. Add a calculated parameter “dely” showing top – bottom elevation.

Next, Length ~ r of a triangle and dely ~ y. delx can therefore be calculated by sqrt(L^2 – dely^2).

Now, add a calculated parameter “dely/delx” to calculate slope. Remember to format the parameter to use the 1:ratio format and not in degrees.

Finally, filter “delx” as “less than 1mm”. This will only show piping that has no slope i.e. all vertical pipes with an error margin of 1mm. You can filter “dely/delx” as “has no value”, but this excludes piping that are modelled incorrectly/have the slope bug.

Summary of parameters required:

1. dely = top elevation - bottom elevation
  2. delx = sqrt(length^2 – dely^2)
  3. slope = dely/delx
BIMdalorian
Participant

@pieterdewaal Thank you. I guess I'm not understanding how to add this into a schedule. I will have to try and figure this out. Thanks.

I am getting an error in the formula alone, stating "2 - dely" isnt a valid field. obviously I am still doing something wrong.

pieterdewaal
Advocate

@BIMdalorian 

Hi Jason,

Remember that parameters names are case sensitive in formulas and that parameters can only be used in formulas if they exist in the schedule.

Hopefully the visual guide below helps:

Example below of a schedule (very rough):

pieterdewaal_0-1620195094256.png

dely:

pieterdewaal_1-1620195153170.png

delx: 

pieterdewaal_2-1620195185549.png

slope:

pieterdewaal_4-1620195212241.png

slope formatting:

pieterdewaal_5-1620195234420.png

pieterdewaal_6-1620195274930.png

Filter for some vertical tolerance (is only want to see vertical pipes):

pieterdewaal_7-1620195468972.png

ROSIE_SG
Contributor

@pieterdewaal 

the pipe reference level should set in some way?

i followed you tutorial but it's still show me sloped pipe so i tried to figured out what is the problem and i realize that the reference level built-in parameter should set in some way for vertical pipe

pieterdewaal
Advocate

@ROSIE_SG 

The formulas I used are reference level independent. The difference between top and bottom elevation will be the same regardless of reference level as it is simply a relative calculation i.e. the level height is inherently subtracted.

Could you please describe in more detail (with screenshots if possible) the issue you have?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report