Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter schedule by elements visible on same sheet

Filter schedule by elements visible on same sheet

It would be great to be able to set a schedule so that when placed on a sheet it was filtered to only show elements visible on the sheet, similar to the way a color fill legend can automatically filter itself to the view it's placed on.

This would be of great use for schedules of room/space data, equipment data etc. etc.

It would need to be a dynamic filter so that the same schedule could be placed onto multiple sheets, with each showing different elements.

65 Comments
jkidder
Collaborator

It should be an option on each schedule (maybe a checkbox on the appearance tab?) so that if you did want to see the entire schedule that wouldn't be a problem.

colin.magner
Advocate

Hi J,

That's the sort of thing I had in mind.

tropitech
Enthusiast

Exactly the way that a keynote schedule placed on sheets can work, or by any schedulable parameter we choose. This could even make keynoting redundant.

cuen.saul
Advocate

Schedules should have the Filter by Sheet option like the Keynote Legend.

A huge amount of time is wasted in filtering schedules by tag, type, area, category, etc. In structure area I have a great variety of section profiles, columns, materials. Some are visible in diferent views, some are visible in only one view, some repeat, some are unique. I wind up looking up element by element (if visible) and adding a filter tag. Cannot use select all instances visible in view because not all instances are visible in the same views, so the tag would be different for each one.

There are many workarounds but better to be an efficient solution.

Tags (3)
TimGrissom
Enthusiast

Having this functionality for Note Blocks would be huge.  We use keynotes for notes that need to point to the specifications but there are a lot of notes that aren't really related to the specs.  Since we can't load more than one Keynote Table into a Revit model, we have to use note blocks but then our schedule on the sheet displays every note associated with that family, even if only a few are used on that sheet.

davidrushforth
Explorer
  • Allow annotation schedules (note blocks) to automatically filter by the sheet they are on.  This method is used by a large number of companies for keynoting, but currently they have to create a separate schedule and type a separate filter for every single sheet and every single annotation needs to have a sheet parameter manually filled out.  This manual method can lead to discrepancies on split views, omission, and a LOT of wasted human effort doing something the database could do automatically.
Tags (7)
KM_Springfield
Advocate

Brilliant suggestion, I sometimes end up creating over 100 schedules on a project, this would be a massive time saver on every project.

evan.dinelli
Participant

Great idea!

kdummer
Explorer
I have wanted this for sometime. I know the keynoting system allows for it to short by sheet with just clicking that box. Why can't they just add it to the note block. It would make our day to day lives so much easier.
RPTHOMAS108
Mentor

Attach view name/id to schedule so that it will only schedule instances/types within that view.

Example of possible use: For a sheet containing a steelwork GA plan I'd like a schedule on the same sheet only showing sizes in that plan view rather than all sizes in the model. Perhaps I'd also just like the steel tonnage for a certain level as shown in a plan or model region as shown in 3D view.

Could also make it more powerful by attaching multiple view names to a schedule. 

Tags (2)
Kimtaurus
Advisor

Couldn't you just filter by Level?

RPTHOMAS108
Mentor

No, depending on how it is modelled structural framing may not have an associated level. Sometimes it looses it's associated level, so I could not trust that. My usual approach would be to create a parameter assign differing values of it to elements and filter by that.

I think the bigger picture is having the ability to schedule the things in the area you see in a view rather than having to rely on parameter values of elements for a schedule output.

RPTHOMAS108
Mentor

Also how many times have we been asked "give me a quick steel tonnage for this area I see here."

or

"In this area what is the total occupancy of these rooms."

"How many piles in this drawing."

"Total concrete/cut volume for these foundations."

Could all be done with the same filtering of a schedule by a specific view or set of views.

In such situations you don't want to go through the process of setting up parameter filters for a one off quick exercise.

cuen.saul
Advocate

@tropitech

Exactly, and easier and faster and with more information. Also, not depending on an external file.

Maybe keynoting would have a different application, but the very same option used in keynotes to filter by sheet, should be implemented in schedules.

blakepDR9BB
Community Visitor

Great, but can you post the step-by-step process for how to do this? I'm close, but am unclear with the filtering process...

kdummer
Explorer

Yes, I have been wanting it for 14 years. Please Autodesk listen to this guy

JADAstudio
Collaborator

Yep. If we aren’t going to get a way to extend keynotes with additional fields/parameters, etc. then give us a way to quickly filter *any* schedule by view or sheet. 

james93YQY
Explorer

I will upvote this one. We have the ability to select all visible in view, so it seems the same logic would be able to allow you to schedule all visible in view? 

StephenMarter
Observer

I don't know if commenting helps *bump* an idea, but I was just about to suggest the same thing.

Right now, We fill out a parameter on every object in a view so that we can get a count for each item in the view and display a schedule for that on a sheet. The problem with this workflow is that it is manual, outside of dynamo scripting, which leaves it prone to user error. What we are already attempting to do is using that parameter to filter by view, so giving us the ability to set it's scope of elements to a particular view or set of views will automate this process and help with our current workflow.

If this topic is too old and needs a repost, then I'll be happy to recreate it.

gseilerA6YML
Enthusiast

This is a pretty fundamental feature that's lacking in Revit:  Filter a schedule to show whats in a view.

Imagine a project with a big floorplate that needs 4 four scope boxes:  NW, NE, SW, SE.  These live on four sheets A101, A102, A103, A104 would be level 1 NW, level 1 NE, ..., and then A201 would be Level 2 NW and so forth. 

Let's say I'm doing Electrical lighting plans and I am on sheet E101 showing Lighting for level 1 NW scope box.  I want to be able to quickly and easily make a schedule that shows the fixtures that are on E101 only.  I want a similar schedule for whats on E102 only, etc. 

Tags (3)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report