Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file/model-level access control in C4R (Collaboration for Revit)

file/model-level access control in C4R (Collaboration for Revit)

Currently, if someone has access to a C4R project, they have WRITE access to ALL files:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Secure-worksets-in-an-A3...
model.html

Yes, we're working on a team, but mistakes can be made. Even within our own office, people are only granted write access to projects that they're working on (in part to reduce folders being accidentally dragged around). In C4R, I trust that our client (or other subs) wouldn't INTENTIONALLY open my Revit model and start modifying stuff without telling me, but what if they're just opening it to look at something (and forget to detach) and accidentally make a change, or there are some warnings that they just dismiss when constraints are updated & windows/doors move? Not to mention all the permission issues that could occur if things AREN'T saved (and therefore also aren't relinquished)?

I'm sure a lot can be avoided by training, but it's training in OTHER firms. I'd just personally have a lot more peace of mind if I knew "this model is ours, that one's theirs". Always having an up-to-date link CAN be great (in most cases, though I've done submittals with intentionally old links when there were large changes close to the deadline) but I don't want to have to keep doing a model compare, or looking at the history, to see if anyone else has touched our model that shouldn't have...

This is somewhat similar to this idea:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/a360-c4r-host-model-with-read-only-revit-links/idi-p/63970...

7 Comments
Ian.Ceicys
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

alysia.baldwin
Explorer

We've experienced many challenges with this as well.  Without proper controls, the liability concerns are too high to use this software on large scale projects.

Basam.Yousif
Advisor
This is an excellent idea. Thank you for posting this. I wonder WHEN they plan to implement this, since they accepted it six months ago 🙂
twilks1
Advocate

The whole idea of Collaboration is dead with this limitation.  Autodesk MUST know that file level security by User is required. To think we should just trust that others cannot make a mistake or worse, do something deliberately destructive, and accept the lack of security to collaborate with our consultants and others in a live fashion is Unrealistic.

lionel.kai
Advisor

I'm not certain (as the project we were using C4R on died), but according to the blog post, BIM 360 Design (or whatever replaced C4R) seems to incorporate this feature now, so this should be marked IMPLEMENTED.

lionel.kai
Advisor

CORRECTION: This is NOT fully implemented yet, because what I would consider to be the most basic feature (read-only access) is not directly available. According to this post:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

"View/Download + Upload + Edit" permissions are required [to OPEN the file].

Otherwise, if you want to open (not just link in) a file that you have less permission to (such as View/Download), the workaround is:

1. create a dummy model
  2. link in the desired model
  3. publish the dummy model

OR if you already have the model you want to open linked into your model:

1. publish your model

THEN

1. download the published model
  2. extract (links will be included)
  3. open the desired model locally
lionel.kai
Advisor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report