Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature for Multi-unit buildings (residential, hospitality, etc.)

Feature for Multi-unit buildings (residential, hospitality, etc.)

It amazes me that Revit does not have a good way of doing buildings that have repeating units (like multi-family residential or hotels). I envision something working similarly assemblies, but with the ability to change one and have it change all (like model groups). They need to be scheduled separately like assemblies, but be more stable than model groups. Right now different firms do a combination of model groups, linked models (one per unit type) or superfamilies. The problem is that the last two require  you to leave your project to edit. At this point, the best solution would be to allow assemblies to be edited without creating a new assembly type if there is more than one instanced placed in the model.

I would love feedback from those of you who do more unit-driving work to comment on what you would like in this feature.

8 Comments
pieter7
Advisor

This one is probably also relevant for multi unit projects: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/architects-need-zones-too/idi-p/7600441

samuelsanf
Advisor
If you open two instances of Revit (two separate windows) you can have the actual project and the linked project open in the same pc and the same time.

Of course, you still have to save one and refresh the other in order to see the changes.
purvigirwin
Advocate

Yes, i know that using 2 sessions of Revit concurrently is possible, but it's not always a viable option because it uses 2 licenses, which may not always be available. This also doesn't really solve the issue I stated above, which is being able to edit directly in the project in real-time, in a way that is more stable and controllable than model groups. This is a good option for a workaround, though, to work in a model and a linked model at the same time.

lionel.kai
Advisor

@purvigirwin Two sessions of Revit do NOT use two licenses, BTW (as long as they're the same version, on the same computer). Have you seen different behavior? One possibility of using two licenses is if (if you have suite & standalone licenses, for example) you launch AutoCAD first (which might pull an AutoCAD-only license) THEN launch Revit (which would pull the Suite license without relinquishing the AutoCAD license).

jdelaney_kearch
Contributor

I completely agree with everything you said. A "Unit" tool that was a combination of assemblies and groups would be excellent.

ganderson649FX
Explorer

I'll vote for this because anytime we can streamline or improve on a widely used process it's a big win. I will add that the Revit Kid has a great video with Aaron Maller discussing this topic. I use groups and it's much improved over our old process of using links

purvigirwin
Advocate

@ganderson649FX , that was definitely a fantastic session by Aaron and Jeff. It's the best way that we have for now to do this workflow, but it could be so much better!

ganderson649FX
Explorer

Just curious... you mentioned something that would be "more stable than model groups". I honestly do not get many errors with our model groups. Mostly occurs when adjusting levels, due to non-standard content which has been incorrectly wall/floor hosted by the user. Do you have particular stability issues with your unit groups? Are the exterior walls/ demising walls, or corridor walls part of your unit group?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report