Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Rotation

Family Rotation

There is no possibility of rotating a family around all axis. This should be posible since sometimes we are placing families in the ceiling, floor, different angles on walls and so on.... Some examples of this is cameras, outlets,  switches and so on....Symbols should still appear in plan view.

12 Comments
smbrennan
Collaborator

This is possible, just not as easy as we would like it to be. Read this blog that helped me learn how to rotate in multiple axis.

http://planta1.com/blog/rotating-a-revit-model-family-in-3-different-axes-by-reference-lines/

Zschlave
Explorer

Ive read and used that method several times, but its a workaround. Ive created an entire library of items for my company using different methods for being able to rotate the family. In my opinion this should be implemented into revit so that we only need to create one family for each item without using nesting and so on...

Frans.Hessels
Advocate

Same wish here. After modeling a family in horizontal space (in this case a bridge deck) I want to be able placing it under different angles in x, y and/or z direction.

nicolaufreitas
Enthusiast

Why should revit restrict rotation of some famlies in the project enviroment?? Come on!! Everytime we face this an have to remake a more complex family inorder to rotate the family. Doesn't make no sense at all!

Thanks

HUGO-MTZ
Enthusiast

Hi Nico, a question off the record... How did you manage to have your revit certified professional badge below your profile pic?

nicolaufreitas
Enthusiast

LampVertical.pngLampRotated.png

It is logical that wall can't be rotated in horizontal axes. The same is true for floors, windows and other kinds of families but it has no logical at all that a wall lamp can not be rotated in a axes perpendicular to the wall. In order to get this lamp rotated in the wall I had to remake my lamp's family. It's a program limitation, it has nothing to do with a construction limitation like walls and floor. Revit is suposed to make things easier. It's not practical nor productive. It would be much more productive if I could rotate the lamp in a project elevation intead of having to remake a family with rotated plans with angle parameters.

JOfford_13
Advocate

I'm surprised this is not a hotter issue.  The limitation to only rotate a family instance around the normal axis of its hosted work plane is absurd in this day and age.  Neither AutoCAD, Inventor, nor Rhino have this limitation, and why would they.  The software should allow an element to rotate freely and break the relation to its host if need be.  The same goes for the align command.  We should always be able to align to any face in any orientation.

We deal with thousands of angled steel connections to sloped, curved, and bent steel framing of varying angles.  The idea of making separate families or introducing new work planes simply for rotation is a joke.  We might as well just use Rhino.

JOfford_13
Advocate

I'm surprised this is not a hotter issue.  The limitation to only rotate a family instance around the normal axis of its host ed work plane is absurd in this day and age.  Neither AutoCAD, Inventor, nor Rhino have this limitation, and why would they.  The software should allow an element to rotate freely and break the relation to its host if need be.  The same goes for the align command.  We should always be able to align to any face in any orientation.

We deal with thousands of angled steel connections to sloped, curved, and bent steel framing of varying angles.  The idea of making separate families or introducing new work planes simply for rotation is a joke.  We might as well just use Rhino.

Frans.Hessels
Advocate

In Fusion 360 it is also possible to rotate a component (read: family) around all its axis.

In real life a part is created and than at the site it is placed at the right position and angle. In Revit it is like the builder has to place the roof under the right angle and only then he can place the window frame. One degree of and it is a no go on the building site. Sounds weird but that's how we have to work in Revit.

In 3ds max, AutoCAD and Fusion 360 we build parts and after this place them any way it pleases us just like we do in real life. Can't Autodesk draw one line in developing these software? If it is possible in one program it can be done in the other too. So may I ask you people of Autodesk to talk to each other and like a sort of BIM work together to keep your customers happy? At least we are paying you enough to expect results.

dcamlin
Observer

I've been trying to rotate floor-hosted furniture families in Revit 2022 around a vertical axis (normal to the host plane) after placing them, without success.  They will rotate in 90° increments using the spacebar, but no other angles.  The offered workaround is to cut them to the clipboard, then paste them back and rotate them at that time.  Or align the family to some other angled line.  This is awkward and contrary to the families' previous behavior--and needs fixing!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report