Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Parameter to have Sublists

Family Parameter to have Sublists

I know there's "Shared Parameter" and "Group parameter under:" to organize parameters. The idea is to make parameters as Sublist, just like in "Project Browser". It's just the way of well organised.

Imagine if you want to make parametric chair. The arm, leg, step, seat, etc. Each elements has its own dimension to set (width, height, length...). Then there's gonna be lots of parameters. But if we just can sublist of parameter. It's very easy to visually see.

Dimensions

Width: xxx

Height: xxx

Depth: xxx

Other

[-] Arm Visible [Yes/No]

- Arm Width: xxx

- Arm Height: xxx

- Arm Material: xxx

- Arm Thickness:...

[-] Back [Yes/No]

- Back Width:xxx

- Back Height: xxx

69 Comments
lionel.kai
Advisor

While it's essentially the same issue/wish, different people have different ideas on how to address it (and therefore different keywords - radio buttons, multiple choice, parameter validation/restriction, combo box, approved ranges, etc) and actually I wasn't even searching for that when I happened to come across all these "similar" posts. 🙂

It seems like moderators DO actually have the ability to combine ideas, as I recently discovered here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/community-ideas/kudos-for-ideastation-comments/idi-p/5682633/page/2#co... so I'm going to "report" the post and see what happens...

troels.olsen
Enthusiast

To add. Even if the fire rating was as simple as "1-H", currently you have to make sure it is written correctly. Does my colleagues consistently write "1H", "1 H", "1-H", "1 Hour", "60-M", or...?

heinrich.boldt
Collaborator

Any of the Parameter are collected in the "Shared Parameter.txt"

It would be very good, when parameter I create in my work similar as the "Schedule Keys" there I can fill in, the text/lenght/.... this Parameter allowed to use

This "shared-Parameter-Schedule keys" are not allow to use my own string to fill in.

my example for "Fire-Rating", in many categories used.

only:
"F30" / "F60"/ "F90"/ "BW"

Bless you
Heinrich Boldt

Osnabrück/Germany

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

The Factory

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
sonicer
Collaborator

Need in family properties check box(combo box) parameter that select if is it example wood or plastic window.

And then is show(visible, active) other parameter only for plastic or wood window.

other example.....door filled with glass or without.....if I select check box with glass...then show other parameter as glass thickness, design, size ....

sburca
Advocate

So essentially be able to arrange parameters into folders, which become visible if the parent checkbox is checked? Yes, I like.

jkidder
Collaborator

Being able to control what elements show up in a family type drop down would be a huge improvement.  Right now the list includes All families of the same type nested into that family, as well as all shared families of that type in the project.  Changing nested family types (such as making a door panel something other than a door family) is a kludge that then presents visibility, filtering and management issues in the project.  A good naming strategy that groups the families that need to be used helps, but doesn't prevent someone from selecting incompatible families.

In some families, such as titleblocks, there is no way to use a different nested family type to exclude choices in the drop down list.  For example, I have a title block that has a nested generic annotation with the company address, and one with the stamp.  The stamp has a label, to switch out stamps in the project environment. There is no way to exclude that address family from showing (other titleblocks and detail components can't be nested)

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

The Factory

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
jkidder
Collaborator

Radio buttons would be a great way to solve the issue of wanting one and only one option in a set!

Dropdowns would make families much more flexible and understandable for both designers and users.

pieter7
Advisor

@mweinholzer do you agree to ask the moderators to merge this ideas with other (almost) identical ideas in order to combine the votes?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/parameter-validation-in-families/idi-p/6323968

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/approved-ranges-of-data/idi-p/6391317?nobounce

All these ideas basically suggest to have a way to limit the possible values for parameters. Perhaps we should combine all these ideas and adjust the title to reflect this rather than split up the votes. 

pieter7
Advisor

I think the title of this idea is poorly chosen but conditional visibility (in the properties palette) of parameters would definitely be interesting. Ideally there would be an extra column in the family creator called "visible" that would allow formulas.

So you could say: door frame thickness parameter is only visible when door frame is true 

pieter7
Advisor

Ideally, one would have the option to for each row in the dropdown, assign a "value" and a "label" option. That way, we would be able to use the value of the dropdown in formulas.

For example: we could have a dropdown to chose whether a sliding door should be center in the wall, flush to the wall or proud to the wall. The labels in the dropdown would read (centered, flush, proud) but the value could be 1,2,3. Then we drive other parameters with formulas based on that drop down:  if(Location=3,...,...)

pieter7
Advisor

Or, alternatively, the dropdown parameter could be an option for multiple parameter types (text, length, int, ...). For length and int, the value would equal the label, but it would still be very helpful if for text parameters, one could assign the label differently from the value.

Actually this happen changed by Autodesk to something other than what I original intended. I don't want to HIDE other parameters, I want other parameters to toggled OFF when a set parameters is turned ON.

pieter7
Advisor

Also, some thought should be given on how to distinguish dropdown fields (which will have a limited list of options) and regular text fields will also load a suggestion list based on previously entered values. 

One should be able to clearly identify which is the case, otherwise people won't understand that in the latter case, it IS possible to add a field that is not in the list.

Jonhooper
Explorer

@davidwilliamedwards sounds like you're looking for this: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/combo-box-for-parameter-attributes/idi-p/6315262

Although it wasn't your intention, I did voted for this idea because I want to hide parameters instead in some conditions. Why confuse users with 10 parameters that change the doorframe, if this particular door has the frame turned off?

Keith_Wilkinson
Advisor

Yeah, it looks like this thread has been merged (badly) with another.  I'd like both ideas that are being discussed here included in Revit thanks.  :o)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report