Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Families - Lights on sloped ceilings

Families - Lights on sloped ceilings

The Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) BIM Standards committee recently created a list of Autodesk Revit enhancement and feature requests based on a membership survey. We have shared a prioritized list with Autodesk and are posting them here, on Revit Ideas, to build community support to benefit the lighting design industry.

Please consider upvoting this Revit Idea.

Description:

In the real world, lights are often mounted to surfaces that are angled. Revit has a hard time doing that. For example, support wires for pendant fixtures are typically perpendicular to the floor. Also, the symbols (e.g., Symbolic Lines) need to show up properly in 2D.

5 Comments
Jason_Peckovitch
Advocate

Not ideal, but I have made an adaptive Generic Model base with a nested pendant light in it that adjusts to slope of roof or ceiling, has a perpendicular support and shows correctly in plane. Caveat is that its a generic model and does not get inserted as a family but does show up in schedule and can be circuited.

Lighting Fixtures that adjust automatically would be the best solution. Thanks for putting this out there.

dan.stine
Advocate

Thanks @Jason_Peckovitch ! Just one thought might be a reference plane toggle to stay aligned with the ground plane.

Jason_Peckovitch
Advocate

@dan.stine I would lean towards adaptive but categorized as Lighting Fixture but that may be viable as well.

ToanDN
Consultant

Set the family to Always Vertical.

Joey_JM
Advocate

Yes please! I can see the benefit of adding an option to force the visibility of 2d symbols for many families/categories (not just lighting) that are hosted to inclined faces/workplanes. 

Good point @ToanDN but there are cases where it isn't desirable to set a family to Always Vertical. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report