Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improved PDF Name Management

Improved PDF Name Management

In the moment it is only possible to create batch DWG files with the correct filename. It is very time consuming to print PDF files from Revit as each sheet has to be printed and named individually. Changing a title block information in a project which has 450 sheets and reprinting the updated PDF files is very time consuming.

Revit should incorporate an Export function to PDF where all or a set of sheets can be selected and the filename for each sheet is automatic as in the DWG export. 

18 Comments
AKingslayer
Advocate

This is one of my growing list of wishlist items:

Wishlist: Better Batch printing for PDF's. Particularly, the ability to pre-name the files that will be created. I would like a dialogue where I can assign the name that will be applied to each sheet as it is created, and an option to combine those sheets in a predefined order afterwards. Printing the whole job to individual sheets and combined version while away from the desk.

Perhaps adding a parameter to sheets that defines the .PDF file name to be used when printing to PDF.  Also, incorporate the hyperlinking feature in the final PDF files.  If a "sheet order" or  "sheet sequence" parameter was added to sheets that allowed you to order sheet views in the browser by something other than the sheet name or drawing number, that same ordering parameter could be applied to the printing and collating sequence of the PDF batch plot.

Tags (3)
lionel.kai
Advisor

same/related ideas: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/print-from-schedule/idi-p/6322520

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/sorting-sheets-when-printing/idi-p/6479291

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/drawing-lists-in-print-dialogue/idi-p/6547957

if you wanted both individual AND a combined pdf, you'd need to print twice (otherwise you'd loose the link functionality when combining individual sheets), unless you can export a combined pdf into individual files...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can't you just print the pdf's as single pages with the appended view names? Or am I missing your intent?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello seawasp,

yes you can print the pdf as single page but it will not have the view name automatically. As the print command is an external function, Revit can't provide the view or sheet names automatically.

No problem if you have 10 sheets to print but if you need to print 400+ sheets you spend a lot of time.

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

There are many programs that can rename your files after printing.

We use Advanced Renamer, but there are several.

As for direct PDF printing, I proposed that when the Revit Ideas site had just started.  

It's currently the #2 top-voted and is "under Review"

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/2d-pdf-printing-support/idc-p/6784219#M4761

Anonymous
Not applicable
In the Print Dialogue box, where the toggle is under the "File" section, there is the option that states, "Create separate files. View/sheet names will be appended to the specified name." I would have thought this is what you needed? Or am I missing something. Just trying to help you out with a workable solution. Need a new set of PDF's, print them again!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. With this option it will ask you for every sheet to provide the filename and location. It will not print multiple sheets with automatic filenames. That's the problem

wolfgang

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

If you're getting prompted for every file name, then you've got your PDF Printer set up wrong.

There are many options out there, but we used Cute PDF for individual (one at a time) PDFS, which DOES prompt you for the file name and location.

For printing sets, we use PDFCreator. Yupi can configure PDFCreator to print each file to a specified location and use the Revit Sheet name as the file name.  No prompting.

Bluebeam also has a "batch printing" option.

The solution to  your problem is out there.

I'd just  prefer that it be a built-in solution rather than an add-in.

craigh_bim
Advocate

Bluebeam has an option to prompt for each name in the Bluebeam Administrator application.

Yien_Chao
Advisor

actually, we can do this with RTV tools : https://www.rtvtools.com/rtv-xporter-pro/

but that could be implemented in future version of Revit.

AKingslayer
Advocate

I would like to assign the PDF name to each sheet beforehand with a new sheet parameter.  This way if you print a sheet to PDF it will default to the assigned name, as opposed to creating a string based on file-name, view name, sheet number, etc.

sasha.crotty
Community Manager

Updated the name of this issue to reflect how it differs from the 2D PDF printing idea:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/2d-pdf-printing-support/idi-p/6325091

lionel.kai
Advisor

Is this idea to be able to print to multiple PDFs (without being asked for file names)? If so, it should be moved to the regular forum and marked solved as a support request (since it's just a "prompt for filename" setting in Acrobat, etc.).

Otherwise, if it's to pre-specify custom file names, it should be merged with PDF Batch Plotting - predefined sheet order and names

jkidder
Collaborator

The new pdf exporter does not allow for any way to control the order of the sheets in a combined file.  At a minimum, manual ordering of the pdfs would make the pdf exporter much more useful.  Ideally, filters and grouping parameters can be applied like a schedule, or a schedule can be selected and sheets printed per that schedule.

Tags (3)
kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @jkidder ,

Here is a similar Idea that was submitted even before PDF export was Implemented. If you like, I can combine this one with yours?

PDF Batch Plotting - predefined sheet order and names - autodesk

Thank you for your submission!

Kimberly

jkidder
Collaborator

@kimberly.fuhrman Yes, they can be combined.

DavidF2021
Community Visitor

It would be good if you could use the batch print tool to print multiple sheets to 1 PDF in a set order. Then if you are sending off multiple plans to a client you would be able to just save and send 1 PDF rather than several.

I understand currently you are able to do this just without being able to select an order (except from alphabetical or reverse) but that can lead to a pdf with plans all in the wrong order.

Tags (3)
karlT25GT
Explorer

Hello,

Please consider the following feature request.

Feature Request:

• In print menu, Reorder Sheets/Views/etc. or (custom) Collation option not requiring shut down of Revit session.
  • In PDF Export menu, Reorder Sheets/Views/etc. or (custom) Collation option not requiring shut down of Revit session.
  • No requirement of using 3rd party (free/paid/subscription) software to do same.

Issue(s):

Software:  Revit 2022

When exporting to PDF, Revit automatically orders them alphabetically.  This appears to happen with or with creating a sorted sheet list (which to date I have been unable to create a custom sheet/print order in a sheet list).

Using the work-around posted here: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/reorder-sheets-for-export-to-single-pdf/td-p...  does seem to work, however having to do this and Batch Print's requirement of closing Revit adds a lot of inefficiency.

Please regard the following limitations as non-flexible:

• 3rd party software (paid/subscribed/free) not an option (i.e. Adobe, Bluebeam, GIMP, etc.)
  • MUST be able to use same terminal and instance/session of Revit to both print hard copy and create PDF
  • Sheets must be able to follow this order (or similar non alphabetical order): Axxxx-Axxxx, Sxxxx, Nxxxx

I appreciate your consideration and welcome feedback or a more permanent and efficient solution.  

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report