Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equipment Classification

Equipment Classification

I would like to see plumbing equipment separated from mechanical equipment. I would like to see a complete separation of plumbing and mechanical. In recent release I have seen this to be the trend, but it appears the equipment was missed.

7 Comments
TFuller1980
Advocate

I'm not against this idea but we'd have to provide feedback on how this would be implemented.

Pumps - Mech or Plumbing? 

Condensate connection on an AHU?

Where does Fire Protection play into this?

There are some gray areas that would need to be ironed out. I agree that seeing VAV boxes with electric reheat is bad for plumbing, but seeing AHUs is good (because of condensate line or at least coordination with floor drains relative to equipment). Maybe we need better mechanical categories instead? Maybe pump, chiller, heat exchanger, etc. needs to be their own categories. That way I can turn off pumps on duct plans with out losing my VAVs. But then again, base mounted pumps are important to see as a floor reference in the mech room plans. I certainly don't need to see in-line pumps hanging in space on my duct plans...

Maybe airside mechanical equipment needs to be separated from all wet-side equipment, but not necessarily a division between plumbing and mechanical. Maybe users need to rely on system type filters more heavily...

I think this is a tough issue that cannot be easily summarized.

Chad, how do you envision the separation?

chad.schock
Explorer
I agree on the plumbing drawings we want to see mechanical equipment, which can be a struggle. As suggested I utilize filters heavily to show the mechanical equipment which can be very tedious. My original suggestion is more dealing with the mechanical equipment properties browser. For example when I want to insert a water heater I have to filter through all of the mechanical equipment to find the plumbing equipment. I would like to see a plumbing equipment properties browser. I think both mechanical and plumbing would benefit from this.

Chadwick M Schock
Plumbing Fire Protection Specialty Designer

TLC Engineering for Architecture
1650 Prudential Drive, Suite 200
Jacksonville, FL 32207

direct : 904-396-8345
TFuller1980
Advocate

Enhanced user interface setup and control, custom palettes, custom organized content browser - these I can get on board with 100%. 

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Zwielehner
Advocate

Hi @chad.schock, hi @TFuller1980,

If we just say that categories are another parameter of elements (which add functionality to it, but anyways) then it is quite easy: just create your own category system. Easiest with our Better Classifier app 😉 but that is not mandatory.

But you can see the revit categories too in a nice tree list, so why not give it a try? 

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=6453162978000981936&appLang=en&os=Win64

(disclaimer: I am the developer of this little tool and I am more than happy to improve it based on my users needs)

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report