Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency Lighting - Parameter for controlling material

Emergency Lighting - Parameter for controlling material

I'd like to be able to assign an EMERGENCY (red) material to a lighting fixture and have the ability to control its visibility via the EM_Shading parameter that is tied to a material used to show emergency fixtures.

At present, we are not able to use a formula to control the material, so we end up making multiple types or use duplicate geometry and controlling it with a yes/no visibility option.  Other option was to use a detailed item, but those do not show up in the 3D views or 3D export to Navisworks. It's nice to be able to differentiate emergency fixtures from regular ones in 3D, instead of only on floor plans (if using detailed items).

7 Comments
sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor

Materials ARE parametric, so this is already achievable. You just have to make an emergency Light Type since I don't think this would be controllable as an Instance parameter (clicking "emergency" add a 2D emergency symbol and changes the color.

If I were doing it, I would simply add a little red 3d dot, since changing the color would ruin my light renders and immersion.

I am using Revit 2016.  I assume you are referring to Revit 2017 then?  If it's already parametric, then that's good.  I agree with the red dot.  Would you be placing it in the middle of the 3D geometry then?

sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor

It's been available for many years, as long as I can remember. Here's a mini tutorial.

http://blogs.rand.com/support/2012/09/revit-how-to-add-a-material-parameter-to-a-family.html

I think I'm not explaining correctly.  Yes, you can create the material parameter, however, we're not able to use a formula to control the visibility of that parameter.

sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor

That's why earlier I said it has to be in a family "Type". Unfortunately Revit formulas have a lot of room for improvement.

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk

Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 18 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.  A more general related request is here.

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report