Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical wire Homerun Arrows

Electrical wire Homerun Arrows

Please provide a method to change the size/angle of the default homerun arrow for Revit. We receive complaints from Contractors that the homerun arrows are difficult to see on printed drawings.

28 Comments
dourevit
Participant

Here's my feedback around this topic: Provide a global option in Electrical Wire Settings for the home run arrows (custom annotation family, similar to tick marks). Perhaps could be added as a wire-type setting, just like for leaders of text, tags, etc. When wiring circuits together, Revit displays additional arrows and it seems a lot would prefer to have control over the graphics to not display the more than one arrow and let the circuit tag give you the circuit numbers.

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk

Thanks, dourevit.. your suggestion about additional arrows sounds like a separate issue. 

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk

ahillard, and others that voded on this, in Manage > Settings > Additional Settings > Arrowheads, if you create a type that uses the Arrow Style = Arrow, do the settings there provide you with the graphical control to achieve the desired arrowhead result?  Or, is there some additional control that you'd require to achieve the desired arrowhead graphics?

Anonymous
Not applicable

martin, thanks for your suggestion, but to my knowledge, the Arrowhead settings have no impact on the graphics for the wire arrowheads. Wires automatically display an arrowhead when connected to a powered electrical device with a connector. To the extend of my knowledge, the wire arrowhead "homerun" size, angle, shape, etc., cannot be changed. I'm asking for a method or settings to change it.

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk

Hi ahilliard-- sorry for the confusion.  I understand that these settings don't presently modify the homerun arrow... however, if they did, do they provide you the graphical control over the arrow that you would need?  In otherwords, instead of inventing a new UI and method of defining an arrowhead shape for a homerun arrow, does what is here fit the bill to provide the graphical manipulation you'd need?

glenwalson7986
Contributor

Martin, 

I think the current graphical control for creating an arrowhead will suffice for creating a homerun arrowhead. We'd like to have more control of when the arrowheads are shown and how they are shown. For instance, when creating a multi-circuit homerun it shows two arrowheads, it would be nice to have an option to "Only show one arrowhead for Multi-circuited home runs". Similar to the way we have options for the tick marks.

Also, it would be nice to be able to group circuits together maybe in the panel schedule that are circuited together. Currently wires must be created to connect circuits together and for the Homerun arrow to report the multiple homeruns with a tag. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Martin,

Yes, the same arrowhead controls would be good for homerun arrows.

jill_chen
Autodesk

Hi @glenwalson7986

As you mentioned "We'd like to have more control of when the arrowheads are shown and how they are shown. For instance, when creating a multi-circuit home run it shows two arrowheads, it would be nice to have an option to "Only show one arrowhead for Multi-circuited home runs".

Do you mean you would like to show one arrow in all multi-home run circuits but then tag the wire with circuit numbers? Does the behavior in following image meet your expectation? Thank you!

MultiHomerun.png

glenwalson7986
Contributor
Yes, that is correct.

Posted with wrong account 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I posted above a while ago (dourevit, 10-27-2016 10:07 AM) as well and was told it was a separate issue 😄 Yes, that's what I was suggesting.

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk

hi David-- indeed, it is a separate issue (e.g., each is independently addressable)...the benefit of separating them on the Ideas site here (which I should have articulated back then) is that other issues buried in the thread may only be valuable to a small portion of the users that find the original request valuable (or, the 'tack-on' request may actually be more important than the original)... having those independently voted helps with getting the data to support the changes.  Having them separated out may also help show a trend in a particular area for example, if x out of the top y number of items were all related to the same general area, and thus, perhaps of different value to tackle the issue more broadly, vs. a point solution.

In any case, the feedback is helpful, and thanks for coming back, no matter how many different accounts you wish to use ;).  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Haha thanks Martin, too many Autodesk Accounts over here 🙂 If you think I should open this as a separate wish, then I can do that. Since this wish was specifically dealing with graphics of home runs, I felt like it was appropriate to expand on the topic in the hope that both issues could be handled as part of one "fix" since they are so closely related. I don't recall seeing a specific wish dealing with my specific feedback at the time, but I'll do a search before starting a new one and vote instead if one does exist.

dourevit
Participant
Martin__Schmid
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi Folks.. thanks for weighing in on this issue, we understand the pain point here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Martin - we also need the ability to customize homerun arrowheads per circuit type.

Single Phase Circuit = Arrowhead #1

Three Phase Circuit = Arrowhead #2

jaboone
Advocate

Martin if you still are monitoring this thread, I think there should be a parameter for the number of heads that will be required and yes a style for each.  My vote 1+.

jaboone
Advocate

Oh, and a param for middle or end as a style of course.

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk

@Anonymous & @jaboone - i would recommend that you create separate idea threads for these additional requests... so that the community can vote on the need of these and we can gauge relative to other items.  Further, since the original idea at the top of this thread is already accepted and available for preview in beta, this thread will be closed when that functionality is released.  

Thanks, Martin - will do!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report