Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy UV Grid Flip in Conceptual Mass

Easy UV Grid Flip in Conceptual Mass

Hi All,

This is my first dab at submitting an idea to Autodesk Revit. 

In my workflow I have encountered an annoying feature when I work with Pattern Based Curtain Panels and Conceptual Mass grids.

Conceptual Mass grids seem to be created so that they are always oriented to the longest side of the Conceptual Mass Plane. This create problems for me when I model Facades with sloped roofs. I use the Pattern Based Curtain Panels because they allow me to cut my panels easily - something that the regular curtain paneling doesn't allow me to do. Grids are sometimes created in the orientation I want, and sometimes they are not. This then creates problems when I model a Pattern Based Curtain Panel, because the panel family does not allow me to set a +-90deg orientation. One option would be to allow rotating of the grid within the family. 

When I place Pattern Based Curtain Panels on my UV grid on a Conceptual Mass, I am presented with options to either Flip or Mirror the panels on the grid. I would like to have an option to either: 

1 - flip UV grids (ideal)

2 - Rotate Panels checkbox similar to Flip/Mirror

3 - Rotate grids past 90deg

4 - Rotate the pattern grid within the Pattern Based Curtain Panel family (least preferred) 

Now, you might say I can use Dynamo to do this. I know, I've nearly finished the script that will flip my UV grids, I just haven't had the time to finish it, test it and implement it in my workflow yet. The reason I wrote this idea is that I think using Dynamo for this is unnecessarily complex, time consuming and is just another workaround, when the options I suggest, which could be implemented into Revit directly, would streamline this process into a couple of clicks, easily accessible to the less advanced users. 

Thank you for your time an consideration.

Best regards,

Jan Kocjan, PLH Architects, DK

5 Comments
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

rmiller
Community Visitor

I have been searching high and low on this issue and this is the first post that hits the nail on the head.  I am working with the curtain wall tool as a canopy on a horizontal mass surface.  Is there a way to reopen this issue and add a vote?  Being able to control the orientation of a curtain wall on a face would be ideal.

FE-S
Participant

Experiencing the exact same problem.

martijn_pater
Advisor

***bump idea***
this is definately essential for workflows to have control over the orientation of grids

It seems you can use reference lines to snap the uv grid actually, guess that works.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report