Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drag and drop Wall Layers in Wall Joins

Drag and drop Wall Layers in Wall Joins

The ability to drag and drop individual wall layers in a wall join to control the exact way each wall layer joins with the perpendicular wall, thus being able to fine tune where the wall layer stops.

20 Comments
jklynsma
Participant

In its present state, Revit's "Wall Join" feature gives you a basic level of control of how the layers of your wall join together at an intersection. While the present tools (Butt, Miter, Square off, Allow/Disallow Join) give you some level of control some intersections of 3 or more walls are difficult to control. Often times, intersections will have dozens of possible configurations, and the only way to see them all is to cycle through using the "Next" and "Previous" buttons. This process is tedious and makes finding the perfect configuration more challenging.

An idea to improve this Wall Join tool is to add a pop-up window which could preview all possible configurations for a wall join intersection. It would be so useful to see a preview of the different configurations which you could then scroll through and select the best fit. This feature could also include ways to filter the preview results by configuration (butt, miter, square off) to slim down the options.

kjskoog
Collaborator

Like it. This is a Generative Design type of function. I would love to see your idea with Roofs as well.

Kory Skoog

BIM Manager

jklynsma
Participant

@kjskoog What specifically do you have in mind pertaining to roofs? Certainly there's several areas that could use some improvement, but I'm not sure which are you're referring to in particular.

kjskoog
Collaborator

Mainly residential roofs. When you are creating a roof you select the walls, tell it which side is sloped, etc.  That is how you create roofs now. Thinking if you go to create roof there would be an option for Auto Generate. You select level, overhang and slope. Revit would create options for you to choose from. You select what you like, or select more than one for options to show client. From there you can edit as needed.  Just a thought one day when I was creating a roof.

Kory Skoog

BIM Manager

wr.marshall
Advisor
wr.marshall
Advisor
GA-LT
Advocate

So you will be upset 2 times. When preview and when it's done 😉

jklynsma
Participant

@wr.marshall Thanks for linking my idea here. I like yours too!

jklynsma
Participant

@kjskoog Haven't played around with generative design much yet. Could be an interesting feature! I know that modeling roofs correctly and quickly become pretty intricate and tedious, especially if adding dormers onto a gabled roof or something. Then, making adjustments after you've gotten it perfect further complicates things... Not quite sure how you'd improve that though - I'll have to churn on that one for awhile.

@wr.marshall I upvoted your wall join idea - I like it!

@GA-LT At least I would be able to see the options all at the same time and be upset, instead of cycling through 50+ options and becoming upset after!

wr.marshall
Advisor

@jklynsma if the folks at Autodesk ever look at a particular idea and there are similar and/or related ideas cross referenced, they can review those. In this case it's regarding wall joins

If you feel that the same goal will be achieved consider asking @kimberly.fuhrman to combine the ideas. Autodesk will then create a improved tool for wall joins if and when the looking into the issues regarding wall joins. In addition if the ideas are combined then the votes are combined which strengthens the idea "to improve wall join". Whatever the end solution will be by Autodesk.

My guess is probably for at least the next 2-3(probably 5-6, but don't take my word as I don't work for Autodesk)releases we  will see a lot of changes for walls, as it is an item of focus on the road map (Real 3D Wall Layers on Revit Public Roadmap | Trello) with many, many ideas for walls. I hope wall joins will be one of the things that they improve in the future.

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@wr.marshall  Thank you! Combining Ideas certainly gives both a boost in votes. @jklynsma , let me know if you would like these two to be combined.

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Great conversation, everyone!

@kjskoog  What do you think about making your roof Idea a separate post?

kjskoog
Collaborator

@kimberly.fuhrman  I can do that.

Kory Skoog

BIM Manager

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@kjskoog  Great! I think both of these Ideas are very intriguing! Thank you both for your submissions!

jklynsma
Participant

@kimberly.fuhrman How does combining posts work?

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@jklynsma  I merge the Idea threads and leave a placeholder for the most recent so that it shows in the Latest Ideas. Votes are also combined, giving a boost to the Idea.

jklynsma
Participant

@kimberly.fuhrman Sounds great... let's do it! Sounds like we've got a good "Wall Join Improvements" thread going.

nemig
Participant

I'd love to add ceilings to this. Right now ceiling layers don't play nice with joining to wall layers. And there isn't even a modify join button like there is for walls! Control over the individual layers or at the very least make them wrap like how wall-to-wall joins wrap would be great

benschilders
Advocate

If you are intrested in this idea you might wanna take a look at my idea as well, it is basicly the same result but then projectwide with material settings (prioritaire):

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/material-priority-s-to-setup-how-materials-components-wal...

Although my Idea is really a different aproach i still voted for this idea because it would also really help with accurate modeling.

wr.marshall
Advisor

would also be handy to drag and drop wall wraps (thickness of material, depth of wall wrap....) as discussed in this idea : Wall wrapping at inserts and ends in section. - Autodesk Community

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report