Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Cleanup / Utility Tool

Disk Cleanup / Utility Tool

Revit and it's various creations take up a lot of disk space. It has collaboration cache (as noted here and here), journals, every worksharing-enabled project you ever open has a local file (often multiple), it stores unnecessary family backups in strange places, it has model (.rws) and family (.####.rfa) backups...and I'm sure there's more...

The idea is for Autodesk to create a disk utility tool that the user can run to go find all these temporary, local, and backup files for each installed version of Revit and give them an option to delete ones older than a certain date.  And perhaps allow the user to set policies for each file type/location to automatically delete files after a certain timeframe.

My local drive was starting to run out of space so I downloaded WinDirStat to see what was going on. Revit is by far the biggest offender. I was thinking it'd be nice to have an easy button to clean it all up rather than having to go chase it all down in a dozen different directories. I don't need to keep backup files and local models from 4 years ago.

This tool would ideally include all Autodesk products, not just Revit. I deleted a bunch of AutoCAD .dmp files, too.

6 Comments
ipselute
Advisor

One could believe that such cleanup should be a no-brainer. Windows OS actually encourages such behavior: backup after backup after backup (mainly because it is a virus-lover and a sudden crash-lover).

Personally, i'm too lazy to go hunting such ghosts. Or any other ghosts from other software. It's faster to reinstall Windows all together. Especially on SSD disks. Backup your projects on external drive and just blank your computer. It's much safer (for the peace of mind).

AdrianG001
Participant

Utility tools are generally an overhead, you can optimize the performance of your PC inherently using the tools and services provided by windows. (Considering you are a windows user!)

By following the simple steps mentioned below you can get the best out of your system.

1. Disable startup programs (disable unnecessary programs that run on startup except your antivirus.)
  2. Uninstall unnecessary programs.
  3. Defragment your hard drive. For the steps to defrag your PC go to Perform regular disk cleanup using the built-in tool by windows. This is the most important step to be performed as it removes unnecessary files and frees up space in your PC.
    1. Right click on Local Disk C:.
    2. Choose Properties.
    3. Click Disk Cleanup in the general tab.
    4. Choose the type of files and folders to delete. Click Ok.
  4. Enable fast startup. When you shut down your PC, Windows or hosted windows desktop will save an image of your loaded drivers and kernel in a separate file, called “hiberfile”. So when the system boots again, the system simply reloads this file.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Akshay

Creative Manager 

scbunker
Collaborator

Thanks @AdrianG001, but I'm not talking about performance. I'm talking about storage. All of your suggestions are good ones for performance but not storage except perhaps #2. I don't generally have unnecessary programs on my machine and if I did their storage requirements would pale in comparison to Autodesk's.

Does defrag really remove unnecessary files? I think it just optimizes what's there, mostly for performance, and then not so much on SSDs, which I assume most of us are using for our primary drives.

AdrianG001
Participant

Disk Defragmenter organizes the file structure of your hard disk by gathering files that are stored in fragments and piecing them together to form a larger fragment (if possible, a single fragment). This is done by moving chunks of data from each file around until the file is a single large chunk. Whereas Disk Cleanup is a utility for getting rid of old temporary files that are not very crucial for the functioning of your computer. This is done by emptying the Recycle Bin, temporary Internet files, and other places it sees fit to erase files, based on your choices.

So overall i would say Disk fragmentation only does the movement of files. Disk clean up would be best for you as you`re taking from storage point of view.

Regards,

Adrian

System Admin | CloudDesktopOnline

leaveAlone
Enthusiast

Hi. I can help you with advice on what to do if you run out of disk space and don't know what to delete. This is a work for disk space visualizer which will allow you to check this out hidden Files and documents you will eventually be able to delete.

leaveAlone
Enthusiast

To start my online business, I had to find a software service. I have been looking for it for a long time, because there are many companies, but not everyone wants to do this. On the advice of my colleagues, I turned to  . Then the whole plan of action was explained to me. I really liked the way they communicate with clients. Happy with my job

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report