Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detail Lines outside crop pregio,

Detail Lines outside crop pregio,

Allow us to draw detail lines outside of crop region. They should behave like any other annotation symbol.

8 Comments
vjolomi
Explorer

You can draw detail lines outside of the crop boundary, they won't extend beyond the crop if they are drawn within the view. 

vjolomi_0-1666638756314.png

es 

PieterL_TM
Advocate

@vjolomi 
Thanks for the tip, but now you are drawing on the sheet. That is something completely different, and doesn't help me achieve what I want to do.

Mike.FORM
Collaborator

This is confusing, why are you wanting to draw outside of your crop boundary for? Just extend your crop region if you want to see things. Detail lines inside views are for specifically that, detailing. If you are trying to draw something else unrelated to the building model you should be creating a legend or drafting sketch.

Evalucia
Enthusiast

Hi, I totally understand the need to be able to draw a line which exceeds the boundary.

The exemple coming to my mind is when adding "spot elevation". It's surely not the best one, but here it is :

For what I know, there is no way to add a space between the tip of the leader and the element (sometime it's possible to move the spot elevation and a space is created, but it's not the case most of the time).

So often time I draw a 2D line (aligned with the element) and place the spot elevation on top of it.

But then I need to extend the boundary only to see the whole line.

When there aren't many things to hide, it's not so bad to extend the boundary, but it can quickly get complicated if there are a lot of objects to hide.

Since 2D lines are annotations, it would be logical that they would ignore the boundary.

See the image below :

Evalucia_1-1666959688491.png

Have a nice day!

Mike.FORM
Collaborator

Why would you have a space between the tip of the leader for a spot elevation? Spot elevations are supposed to be precise to exactly where you are pointing. If your leader does not touch the point you are elevating you are just adding confusion. Sure this might be ok at close up scales when elevating the top of a wall, but then what happens on your site plan when marking spots for grade? The scale of those drawings is usually larger and thus the graphical space makes the tip that much further away.

If you are trying to use spot elevation elevation tags in section, that is what levels and dimensions are for. 

This seems like a request for a change to revit that is not best practices. 

Detail lines are most commonly used for detailing and they need to be cut, this is asking for a change that has one small very specific edge case but is a detriment to almost everything else.

Evalucia
Enthusiast

Hi, I see you didn't understand correctly.

First, it's not because you don't use a space between the leader and the element that everybody in the world do so.

I was taught to do so and I'm not the only one who work like this.

Proof : a simple Google search shows there is an other person in the world wanting to achieve the same : https://www.revitforum.org/node/23934

So we are at least 3  😉

I'm not talking about a spot elevation in a plan view. As you can see on the image I posted : I'm talking about a section or an elevation view : where you clearly see what is the object the level refers to.

Second : of course I'm using levels !

But I won't create a specific level for each and every little piece I need to have a level indicated (just imagine the time needed to hide them in every single view, just to see it in 1 section, and yes, I'm aware we can play with the 3D extensions of levels and worksets, that's not the point).

This was an example of a floor (*) but it could have been an L placed at an X distance under a beam.

Yes I could indicate the dimensions between both to respect the fact that you don't think I should use spot elevation in any other view type than a plan, but we, where I'm working, indicate the level of those things and not a dimension.

Now, to come back to the Idea (that have nothing to do with spot elevation by the way) : As I've written, this was only an example. You don't like it : fine.

You can surely think about something more relevent to your needs like to help copy/paste 2D elements from one view to an other without loosing the crop range of a broken view.

And if you don't think you need it at all : just don't vote for the Idea : it's that simple.

2D lines are annotations and should act like annotations which is : ignore boundary.

They're not hard to cut : why use boundary instead of making them stop at the right place ?

Since there is already an "annotation crop" box : there could be an other one for "2D crop" which would cut, or not, the 2D lines at the boundary. And if we could set a default option it would be even better.

(*) :  There is actualy a true level for this floor : but for the new structure. Since the existing is showed in an italic text and the new is in a normal text, I won't create 2 levels (1 existing, 1 new) for the same level. I will create 1 level for the new and add spot elevation in the few sections where I need to show the existing floor level.

To the author of the Idea : sorry for all this. I only wanted to add an example but I shouldn't have. Hope it won't hurt your idea.

Mike.FORM
Collaborator

Detail lines are not for annotating, they are for detailing, hence the name. It seems what this idea really wants is a new linetype specifically for annotating (Annotation Line).

What I am saying is making this change to detail lines which are an already established drafting tool in Revit is detrimental. The suggestion says to change the way it works, not add additional functionality.

Those are 2 completely separate scenarios.

As for the spot elevation example, it is suggesting to change functionality of one revit feature so that you can make your workaround work they way you want. If there is an issue with sport elevations and how they function in section then that should be addressed within the spot elevation functionality.

PieterL_TM
Advocate

@Mike.FORM 
Your last post seems like a good idea! Indeed adding an 'annotation line' type would solve a lot of problems. 

Sadly we probably won't see that coming to Revit anytime soon, because... Autodesk.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report