Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Define Shared Parameters Category in SP File

Define Shared Parameters Category in SP File

I'd like to be able to assign a data category (Graphics, Identity Data, Dimensions, etc) to shared parameters in the SP creation process and/or in the SP text file using an actual word rather than that weird numerical value that it currently uses. 

6 Comments
lionel.kai
Advisor

That's why it says "# Do not edit manually." at the top of the file... 🙂 If you want a slick easy-to-use interface, use the Shared Parameters dialog - that's what it's there for. You could even copy the GUID manually into the text file after using the UI, if you need a specific value to match legacy content, etc.

That said, it would have been a little nicer if they had put the constant-width fields BEFORE the variable-width "NAME" column - it would make it a little easier to read the text file, but they probably won't change something like that now, because it would cause problems if they were to add new fields (such as when they added "DESCRIPTION" & "USERMODIFIABLE") to any location other than the end of the line...

chadclary
Contributor

To add some clarity, I'd like the category the parameter is grouped under (Dimensions, Graphics, Other) to be defined in the SP file using a text definition rather than the aforementioned numerical value.

SPCategories2.PNG

lionel.kai
Advisor

OH!! I didn't quite catch that in your OP (the screenshot helped clarify). I thought you just wanted to change the way the current "GROUP" value is stored in the text file, not add a new value! So what you're wanting to do is be able to change the DEFAULT "Group parameter under" setting for each of your shared parameters in the same way that if you make a "Length" parameter, it's grouped under "Dimensions" by default, "Text" goes under "Text", etc.

So, for example, if you had a "Yes/No" parameter called "Show Plate" in a custom "Truss" Parameter group (the current "GROUP" column) in your Shared Parameters file, you could set a value for "Group parameter under (default):" of "Graphics" (per the attached mockup below), so that when the parameter is brought in to your project, it would automatically go under "Graphics" (instead of "Other", which is the default for "Yes/No" parameters). In addition, this new value (maybe called "DEFAULTGROUPUNDER") would be set by plain-text values (in the Shared Parameter text file) that correspond to the values available in the "Group parameter under" list. If there is a typo in the file, Revit should throw an error referencing the line number, or should just put it under "Other", or whatever the default "Group under" would be for that variable type (since, unlike the "GROUP" value, which is just a housekeeping tool, the value in the new "DEFAULTGROUPUNDER" would need to correspond exactly to one of the OOTB groups).

Ridea - default group under for Shared Parameter.png

chadclary
Contributor

That's the ticket.  Sorry about the original confusion, I guess a lot of the bits & pieces do have similar names...

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report