Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crop region for drafting views

Crop region for drafting views

Please introduce a crop region for drafting views! 

I don't buy earlier comments and explanations for why this isn't already possible, many times we draw one detail and then need to show parts of these details on different sheets for presentation purposes...... it's stupid to suggest dividing these details up into several parts just to get them to fit on a sheet......

Further more when drawing 2D section details we need to have all the parts of the building present to refer to and for control and seeing that detail views don't have underlay/referencing functionality it is even more essential to have view cropping functionality.

I also sometimes use drafting views to create simple 2D presentations for things such as plot layouts, site plans etc. and these too need to be cropped regularly for presentation purposes, once again it is silly that we need to chop these drawings into bits just to get them on a sheet!

Once again please add this functionality.

48 Comments
lionel.kai
Advisor

I would like to see a Crop Region for Drafting Views, but I'm not sure that all of your examples make sense? 18 have already voted for this, so I may be wrong (please clarify, if so).

Personally, I would like to see it to be able to control crop for a linked-in .dwg file (though it's been a while since I've needed that, and there's a WISH specifically related to it: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/preserving-x-clip-of-imported-dwg/idi-p/6470908)

Since you're mentioning putting one detail on multiple sheets, it sounds like you're also asking for the ability to make Dependent Views of Drafting Views (since while Legends can be put on multiple sheets, only Dependent Views can have the same content with different Crop Regions)? Could you show examples? Maybe a Screencast of the workflow? I'm not understanding your scenarios. Thanks.

jendaros
Explorer

Give us the ability to crop drafting views.

Tags (1)
SashKaz
Advocate

Agreed. This becomes more important when you have, say, breaklines in your views and the masking regions in them mask the next view that is on a sheet.

craigh_bim
Advocate

Great idea. Agree with @SashKaz, but one more thing. The extent of the view is driven by non graphical information. For instance the breakline. But also the Flip Controls within components. If a control is outside of the length of the element, it stretches the views ridiculously longer than necessary. View References is another issue. VR's have a hidden element (?) in them that forces the view to stretch longer than necessary. This is the same for legends.

Thank you for your consideration.

sburca
Advocate

Agreed. Same issue with linked (or imported) DWG files. Some files have a point or some other element way out from what you're trying to view. That means you have to edit the DWG file and hopefully find the offending element.

Same issue also with images that would normally require a dependent view (think UL wall types/legend). But because drafting views can't be cropped, you have to use a dummy elevation or some other workaround.

tongj
Contributor

Capture1.JPG

There is no crop view controls for any drafting views when importing multi AutoCAD drawings layout as single file into Revit as part of details, schematics or schedules.

mp_thompson
Advocate

I'd like to be able to crop a drafting view, simples.

Anonymous
Not applicable

To follow along this line... with this capability disable the relationship between the callout bubble view on a plan or section and the actual detail view.  Despise that the crop region on the detail view changed the bubble where it is called out.

lionel.kai
Advisor

@Anonymous You should probably post that as a separate idea. I somewhat disagree, BTW - just wish that it made more SENSE. Sometimes it adjusts (as desired), other times it doesn't, or adjusts when NOT wanted... doesn't seem to correlate with whether the cut's already adjusted or not, so it's hard to predict what will happen...

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no option to crop a drafting view in case you want to split it up in several portions. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
What if I don’t search and still post ideas

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

"What if I don’t search and still post ideas"

Then each of the 5 different posts gets 20% of the votes, and the concept never gets the support it deserves.

Plus everyone else wastes their time reading (and responding to) the same thing over and over again.

lionel.kai
Advisor

@Anonymous wrote:

What if I don’t search and still post ideas

"

Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

"

Also, please try to not be rude.

Anonymous
Not applicable
It comes naturally when on the other side smb deserves it.

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

Since when is "Please search" rude?

lionel.kai
Advisor

@dplumb_BWBR To clarify, my "please try to not be rude" was directed to @Anonymous's "What if I don't..." comment. (btw, the guidelines link also addresses the why).

@Anonymous smb?

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

@lionel.kai And mine was directed at his "somebody deserves it."

loboarch
Autodesk

Guys, lets keep the comments focused at the topic at hand.  I think it goes without saying we would like people to search and add votes to existing ideas rather than creating a duplicate post that will later need to be merged, or worse not caught and then something people want to have voted up ends up with votes spread across 5 of the same idea.  Ideas with more votes do get more attention, even if it sometimes does not seem like we are looking at things.  😉

Jeff Hanson

Revit UX

mmcintosh-ral
Advocate

Please add the ability to crop drafting views.

How I would use this today:

We're late adopters of Revit, so I'm not sure if there's a better way, but this is the direction I'm headed in for our Code Summary sheets:

• State supplied Code Summary is in Word
  • Save to pdf
  • Save to png
  • import images into drafting views and arrange on sheet
    • PROBLEM TO BE CORRECTED BY CROPPING DRAFTING VIEW
      • the file from Word, without editing in Photoshop, includes a white background, which will block out text in an adjacent drafting view  if they overlap. The ability to crop a drafting view would allow more consistent spacing on the sheet between the drafting views with the required code summary pages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report