Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Assembly with detailing

Copy Assembly with detailing

There should be a possibility to copy assemblies and all views, sheets, schedules, legends, 2D objects, settings etc connected to this assembly.

We make shop drawings for precast concrete elements using Revits Assembly function.

If we have mutliple almost identical elements (assemblies) we have to make the whole drawing from scratch for all assemblies although the difference in the model might just be a simple steelplate. In autocad this would take 2 minutes, in Revit it is double work. 

For one project we have 15 almost identical elements (se attached file). Because of a varying corbel supporting a ramp, it is necessary to make 15 shop drawings from scratch instead of copying the first assembly, and adjust the corbel. It is a MAJOR time consumer!

21 Comments
tore_johansson
Contributor

This is absolut necessary

YarUnderoaker
Collaborator

There is Assembly Propagation in Roadmap, maybe it is?

dazza1639
Advocate

Once an assembly has been created it should be possible to place multiple instances of that assembly and have the counts of the assembly be reflected in the views,schedules etc. it would also be really good if we could create handed versions of assemblies.

YarUnderoaker
Collaborator

In your interpretation assemblies looks like families. I think need to upgrade families, for example, do parametric reinforcement inside families or wired mesh families. Assemblies need for isolation of model fragment and do the drawings of it + need more automation for annotation.

henrik.thingbo
Enthusiast

Unfortunately the solution you are sketching is even more time consuming than making the drawings manually from assemblies, which we already do. 

Since we are making appr. 150 drawings (appr. 1500 views/schedules) from assemblies (precast elements) pr. project, a copy assembly with detailing function would make it possible to drastically decrease the ammount of manual work with drawings. 

Especially if you have many almost identical assemblies, the shop drawing work would be reduced to a few minutes, compared to todays method, where every drawing (views, schedules) has to be made manually from scratch if they are a bit different.

KIMRAMFI
Advocate

Assembly propagation in roadmap posted in 2016 😄 

Now we are living year 2019 and what improvements Autodesk has provided to us for ease our drawing production and working with assemblies? Absolutely nothing! 

Hope we can spread the word of this post and get some improvements in near future. 

abudayev
Enthusiast

still no solution for this absolutely necessary command? 

staylor
Contributor

Kind of an old post, but since abudayev re-posted recently, I will add my two cents. With Dynamo you can create a script that will duplicate assembly sheets, views, assembly schedules, legends and annotations. Be prepared, the script will contain a considerable amount of graphs and custom nodes.

abudayev
Enthusiast

have you already tried to make such script? 

dariusz.mordal
Advocate

@staylor 

Did you create this kind of script? 

staylor
Contributor

Sorry abudayev, For some reason I didn't get an email alert when you replied.

Yes, I did create a script like I described. It works pretty well, but I still have some things to get working correctly.

1. Getting and setting view rotations.

2. Copying view annotations.

abudayev
Enthusiast

@staylor  thanks for reply, is it possible to see it ? 

staylor
Contributor

Sorry, but it's too massive to clip everything, to where it would make sense. Plus it has a custom package with a lot of custom nodes. With some of the main nodes inside of that having customized python coding. Here is a list of all the packages that I used. The one colored out is the custom node package I created. Hope this helps!

staylor_7-1588598890989.png

My company will not allow me to share the script.

But, I will try to answer questions.

anielson
Advocate

Yes please add this!!!

staylor
Contributor

Hey anielson,

What are you asking to add?

anielson
Advocate

I was just voting for the original post!

To expand on this, I also posted an idea to be able to copy assemblies between projects and BRING ALONG THE VIEWS AND DETAILING. 

vote for it here.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/copy-assembly-and-associated-views-and-detailing-between/...

ye_zaw_lin
Participant

We are in 2021 now and this feature is still not developed. And we have checked with Autodesk directly and understood that this is NOT in their development roadmap as well. 

The only thing we can probably is to keep VOTING here. So please ask your colleagues to do that. 

Cheers!

gsMKSQ5
Explorer

Creating pre-fabricated walls every day (and shop drawings for all of those) - this feature would be simply awesome to have. I will try not to get my hopes up, now that nothing has happened for 5 years! 😮 But you have my vote!!! +1

glennovits
Explorer

Yes we need this feature to use the full potential of assemblies + views for those! Please Autodesk 🙂 it's time 😉 

LyleHardin
Advisor

I also am looking for this feature. 

We create dust hoods with lots of detailing for several projects. Many are nearly identical.

We can copy the dust hood family from project to project, but it's such a waste of time to have to re-detail it every time. It really seems if all this is done in an Assembly, that we should just be able to copy the entire assembly over to a new project including all the views and sheets. 

A previous comment was right... this is just a few minutes work in AutoCAD. This is another reason some people here are hesitant to move to Revit from AutoCAD.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report