Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface/Mesh Display Options - Toggle or Remove Faceting

Surface/Mesh Display Options - Toggle or Remove Faceting

The lack of visibility control over edges is an old annoyance

Autodesk solved this issue very elegantly in Formit

Proposal

Having an Edge Contrast slider for each Revit category that removes edges when 0 would be fantastic.

Just Like in Formit similar to the Transparency Slider

83 Comments

Content from Sketchup looks terrible because Smoothing of faces is not maintained.

yavork
Advocate

Also don't know if you noticed but if you stretch a component in sketchup using the grips for the Scale command, it comes not stretched in Revit.

Guillaume.Chazal
Autodesk Support

This idea has been created on the behalf of an user from located in France

When importing in REVIT 3D objects created in 3DS MAX or Sketchup for instance, we end up with meshed objects as we can see on the picture below:

Meshed.png

Currently the only solutions available to hide this mesh or limit it’s visibilities are:

• Use trial and error method in order to find the layer color that match best the surroundings

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/Removing-lines-of-imported-3D-geometry

• Or edit the 3D objects in 3DS Max in order to make the mesh invisible before importing the object in REVIT.

http://www.formfollowsperformance.com/2013/04/mesh-geometry-into-revit-without-triangulated-edges-vi...

The idea would be to add a feature / option in REVIT that would make this process easier.

For instance adding an option in the Visibility/Graphics dialog box to toggle between “Hide / Show mesh" would be perfect.

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

mitchellTJA2M
Contributor

Bring Revit’s Sketchup interoperability up to the same standards that Rhino imports currently enjoy, including nonfacted surface representations to smooth surfaces brought in from the Sketchup modeling environment.

Update Revit’s ability to import current generation .skp formats to avoid having to constantly save back to Sketchup 8.

Tags (4)
natacross
Community Visitor

I fully support this feature request. Please take this out of the archive. 

Arno.delange
Participant

please make this available..the trick with hiding the edges in 3dmax doesn't work anymore..

75ironhead
Advocate

I fully support this feature request also. Revit's OOTB cars are pretty lame

Please take this out of the archive

thewool
Contributor

When importing in REVIT 3D DWG Mesh, we end up with meshed objects with all edges visible as we can see on the picture below (on left).

Capture.JPG

The idea would be to add a feature / option in REVIT that would make this process easier. For instance adding an option in the Visibility/Graphics dialog box to toggle between “Hide / Show mesh edges (based on the angle between faces, like 'surface properties auto edge' in 3dsmax 'edit mesh')

Capture2.JPG

Tupaia
Advocate

Please un-archive that idea, I'd like to vote!

We often have to download and import existing buildings, and they look horrible with all the mesh edges.

We even re-model them sometimes to clean them up... I'd like to save that effort for better things.

Btw., AutoCAD has this feature already.

Thanks!

Revit:

screenshot mesh edges.JPG

Same mesh in AutoCAD:

screenshot mesh edges ACAD.JPG

nenovidenovic
Observer

Please add this feature

Karpik
Enthusiast

It's very useful feature especially for architects please bring it back from the archive.

People in Autodesk should look at the other software and its forums to know what is possible as well what people really want. Look at Rhino Mcneel for instance its line drawing possibilities or navigation in perspective mode which is second to none.

Working on a specific view in the library. I would like to present these chairs to the client so he can understand why we specifically need these ones. It should be as simple as switching these mass objects to just the outline without any time wastage. 

Thank you ! 

12.JPG

hutchinsona
Observer

I fully support the idea of being able to hide the triangulation/ mesh lines and find it incredible that it was decided to archive the idea. I work in an architectural practice producing details from federated models which very often include IFC structural models that have been imported into Revit. The geometry brings with it a mass of triangulation lines that involves lots of unproductive time hiding them either with the override line tool or masking regions. I would have thought this would been an obvious 'tool' to include within Revit.

jfreemanSL887
Explorer

Please add this feature.

michal.cabaj
Community Visitor

I completely agree - this is a must have feature.

Tupaia
Advocate

Would someone please have the courtesy to unarchive that thing?

Just because it's not in the workflow of 10000 people doesn't mean it's irrelevant.

Thank you!

MichaelWolff
Advisor

I hereby VOTE for this archived thing. Please unarchive. I consider this bug fixing rather than implementing a real new feature.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report