Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conduit runs

Conduit runs

It would be nice to schedule the To and From location of a conduit run. Right now in revit the work around would probably be dynamo but it would simplify the workflow if withine revit the conduit run schedule can recognize space/rooms to pull the start and end point of a conduit run.
12 Comments
Martin__Schmid
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hi @Anonymous - thanks for the suggestion... just to make sure, you're referring to runs which represent sections of conduit... so, an intelligent way to do the following.RunExample.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. An instance would be having panel A in room 301, conduit run C102 goes from panel A in room 301 to panel B in room 205.

Being able to have the revolt conduit and a cable schedule pick the start and end of conduit run C102 would lessen the amount of third party software used to create conduit and cable schedules in a REVIT BIM workflow.
Martin__Schmid
Autodesk

Hi @Anonymous - I think what you described is a bit different...  you've described a slightly different concept from Revit's 'conduit run'.. something that is cumulative of multiple runs.. referring to my example image above, instead of the three rows for the three separate runs, you're expecting a single run from Panel MSB in Space 2 to Panel P1 in Space 5... or am I mis-understanding your example?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pardon Martin. I didnt want to respond until I saw the graphic. I'm taking a look at it now

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think we are speaking the same concept for the most part. But lets drill down. the example you showed in the images is great but what happens if you have a conduit run made up of more than one conduit? also a conduit run can span from junction box to junction box but maintain the same conduit ID and then there are cases where the conduit run changes ID after one junction box. 

I'm looking for a way to monitor a conduit run singular or multiple conduits, In the schedule I should be able to pick up the start and end point of a "conduit run" whether it starts and ends a panel or starts at a panel and stubs up into a room for future use. 

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk

@Anonymous - thanks for the additional details...

"what happens if you have a conduit run made up of more than one conduit"

What would you expect to happen?  Presently, a run can be made up of one or more conduits.  In the image below, there are 9 runs that are made up of a total of 21 conduit segments (runs 1-6 each have 3 conduits, and run 7-9 is each made up of one).

how would you determine whether a conduit run is only one conduit, or if it is more than one conduit?

What would determine whether a conduit maintains the same ID or if the ID changes after a JBox?

Runs.png

"also a conduit run can span from junction box to junction box but maintain the same conduit ID and then there are cases where the conduit run changes ID after one junction box."

I think that's what I showed above (both my first image, and the new one in this post)... the span from junction box to junction box is a a single run... AND a new run starts after the box.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would depend on the circuit, as well as the cables. some circuits require more cables and per code a conduit should only be filled to a certain percentage of the overall inner diameter of the conduit. So, more conduits maybe need to split the number of cables to meet the circuit required number of cables. 

Instead of using a bigger conduit which may be problematic in terms of bends, or cost. multiple smaller conduits maybe used.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

and as for the JB aspect. It would change names if for instance cables 123 is in conduit xyz and hits JB-1, and cable 1,2 split to another conduit.  

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk

@Anonymous - got it, your're referring to a parallel feeder... 

And, it sounds like you're changing 'names' when the make up of the what is in the conduit changes.

Something like the below, then?

Run2.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this seems to be a great start. The only other thing would be having to use the "conduit without fittings". I have a project that already used conduits with fittings. (just got placed on this project.) 

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk

@Anonymous - are you aware that you can use the 'change type' functionality to update your 'conduit with fittings' to become 'conduit without fittings' so you have the Conduit Run information? 

In general, I think the gist of your point is that regardless of whether you are using bent conduit or conduit elbows, that the Cable + Conduit info should be reportable.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that is the gist.

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about (changing types) is that there is information in the conduits fields already. last time I tried that it removed the information in the mark and comment fields. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report