Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API for Color Schemes and ability to control RGB colors

API for Color Schemes and ability to control RGB colors

As Advised @RTCEUR 2016 and Noted at Revit API session. I was asked to submit Revit Idea under Revit API.

wish list item CF-3558 [API wish: create colouring scheme with full access to control RGB colors]

original post

Hi,

As adviced at RTC 2015 and noted at Revit API session  I am starting process for requesting new feature.#

What whole world of MEP is missing: Coloring Scheme and ability to control RGB colors.

Coloring Scheme - we can now place sheets, tags do all automted task but Coloring Scheme we need to place manually! please help us

RGB colors - automated color schemes select random and very often dark, Black ones which means that after printing we can not see anyting. Having full control over colors and scheme we could use Macro/ Dynamo to automate process and have full control over this subject. 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/api-request-coloring-scheme-access-to-rgb-colors/td-p...

35 Comments
mdengusiak
Advocate

I already have one but not submitted under API,

JohnPaul.Mann
Advocate
Gets my vote!
thjukic
Observer

You have my vote!

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision.

The Factory

m.vallee
Advocate

What can Autodesk propose to us, developers, who want to programmatically produce colored view plans based on rooms' parameters values AND print these view plans?

• We can't access with the API what Revit calls "color schemes"
  • If we use the subcategory "Interior fills" and make colored view filters, these rooms' "interior fills" are then NOT printable ! This seems to be intended behavior (so that only color schemes "print"). This behaviour is however not respected when dealing with linked files : rooms'"interior fills" from the linked file DO print...

Corresponding entry in Autodesk database : CF-3558 [API wish: create colouring scheme with full access to control RGB colors -- 11225814]

Tags (3)
mdengusiak
Advocate

Hi, I would like to find out how long does it take this - review process? 

info
Participant
Access color schemes from outside is a needed option. In my case I'd use it to save/edit color schemes in an external database for roomgroups that belong to specific TENANTS. Other than Revit does I'd like to assign the same color settings to similar, but varying attributes which belong to the same group. As I oftenly have hundreds of records this is hard to do with Revit. Com'on, Autodesk, just do it!
mdengusiak
Advocate

@info

thanks for your support and comment, good point...I am trying to get this implemented since beginning 2015 let's see how long we need to wait...

nam_vt
Enthusiast
Hi mdengusiak,

Is there API to access color scheme in 2016/2017 yet?

Thank you.
Nam.
mdengusiak
Advocate

Unfortunately is not  and not even in Revit 2018 or Revit Preview...  what a pity.. seems like will hit 5 years waiting list...

Keith_Wilkinson
Advisor

I was thinking about this yesterday.  And whilst I think you are on the right lines, I think fundamentally Color Schemes work backwards.

Currently we pick a parameter, Revit gathers all the values against that parameter and then assigns them colors and fills.  Great.

The problem with this is that it eliminates the possibility of having predefined color schemes for use against different parameters and as you have pointed out it also prevents you from renaming an item in the color scheme.

So here's what I think should happen.  

1) You define the 'color list' (or schemes) first - this would be the colors and fills only.  This (these) would be done using your office standards and would form part of your standard template file.

2) You set up the actual color scheme itself - View type, parameter along with the desired color fill list.  At this point you have a color scheme as you normally would but without any values assigned.

Color Scheme Proposal.png

3) Each row can then have a parameter value assigned to it - by clicking on the drop down you get a list of all available but unassigned values.  If you want to change a value, just select from the drop down again (may require setting to 'none' first) - the principle is much the same as how Revit currently handles room lists.

4) If there are more values then rows you simply have an option to add an additional row.

This approach would give users much more control over the color schemes and do away with the annoyance of colors being randomly reset if the parameter being selected is changed.

tomek
Collaborator

I have also expanded on this idea elsewhere: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/modern-ui-colour-palette-and-swatch-manager/idi-p/7415171. Perhaps my idea should get merged into this earlier request.

This is a much needed feature in Revit.

Ning_Zhou
Advocate

at least allow to turn on/off existing color scheme for existing views, manually doing it for a few views (on sheet) is OK but for hundreds of views (on sheet) is another story!

m.vallee
Advocate

Hello,

Autodesk team : any new planned improvements ?

joslindave
Advocate

Also, this functionality needs to be accessible by Dynamo (ie, please make sure appropriate nodes are added to Dynamo). It would be a shame to have the API access implemented, but not be able to get to it through Dynamo...

tomek
Collaborator

<PING>

Any movement on this? Lack of ability to control my colours is literally killing a little bit every day. Please don't let me die. If you're not gonna implement this for me then at least do it for my children...

mdengusiak
Advocate

Hi, 

It is now over 4 years since I started my lobbying journey to get this simple  color solution implemented.

It is not implemented in Revit 2015

It is not implemented in Revit 2016

It is not implemented in Revit 2017

It is not implemented in Revit 2018

It is not implemented in Revit 2019

It is not implemented in Revit 2020

Autodesk, Revit ... please give us access to colors...

michael_coffey
Advocate

I think they fired everyone working on the API....  just a guess.  It's kind of ridiculous to have to ask for something that should have already been there since day 1 when API was released.  This not a new feature that would need to be added, its just putting in what was already in Revit many years ago.  Same with many other things, like creating ceilings, creating multi-loop floors, accessing Link settings in View Templates, etc.

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

@michael_coffey , on the contrary, I'm happy to announce that we've added this idea to our roadmap. I hope this comes as a pleasant surprise after a long time waiting and voting. Your votes have made a difference.

aricke59
Enthusiast

Hi Sasha, since this request is now marked as accepted what should we expect? Will it be added to 2020? 2021? Any chance of backward compatibility to 2019? 2018?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report