Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color Schemes - Rename Value

Color Schemes - Rename Value

I can't believe this idea isn't up here yet! We desperately need the power to rename the "Value" field instead of having to create a new one and delete the old one. Especially when they are not in use. It defeats the whole point of revising instantly (wink wink) if i have to delete, recreate and reassign!

2017-04-19 12_39_40-Autodesk Revit 2017.2 - [Floor Plan_ Level 1 - Project1].png

15 Comments
angela_bachetti
Contributor

Being allowed to rename an item in the color scheme schedule.

mviscetto
Advocate

That is a great Idea Melissa!!

Thank you for the suggestion.

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Melissa.Stewart Oops...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/color-scheme/idi-p/6268129

😉

Maybe they will merge your with @angela_bachetti's idea...

Keith_Wilkinson
Advisor

This is the problem with the Ideas board, nobody is monitoring it to ensure ideas aren't duplicated.

Don't get me wrong it's a good step forward but it's not terribly efficient... 

BethanyPritchard
Enthusiast

We have built color scheme definitions in our template & we created a color scheme by room department.  We've pre-populated the color scheme with some generic departments named "DEPARTMENT 1", "DEPARTMENT 2", etc. to save our office standard colors.  The problem is that once a project is created from this template we cannot rename the predefined department names.  If we create new ones we can rename those, but not the ones that came predefined in our template.

Tags (2)
Keith_Wilkinson
Advisor

I was thinking about this yesterday.  And whilst I think you are on the right lines, I think fundamentally Color Schemes work backwards.

Currently we pick a parameter, Revit gathers all the values against that parameter and then assigns them colors and fills.  Great.

The problem with this is that it eliminates the possibility of having predefined color schemes for use against different parameters and as you have pointed out it also prevents you from renaming an item in the color scheme.

So here's what I think should happen.  

1) You define the 'color list' (or schemes) first - this would be the colors and fills only.  This (these) would be done using your office standards and would form part of your standard template file.

2) You set up the actual color scheme itself - View type, parameter along with the desired color fill list.  At this point you have a color scheme as you normally would but without any values assigned.

Color Scheme Proposal.png

3) Each row can then have a parameter value assigned to it - by clicking on the drop down you get a list of all available but unassigned values.  If you want to change a value, just select from the drop down again (may require setting to 'none' first) - the principle is much the same as how Revit currently handles room lists.

4) If there are more values then rows you simply have an option to add an additional row.

This approach would give users much more control over the color schemes and do away with the annoyance of colors being randomly reset if the parameter being selected is changed.

Keith_Wilkinson
Advisor

I was thinking about this yesterday.  And whilst I think you are on the right lines, I think fundamentally Color Schemes work backwards.

Currently we pick a parameter, Revit gathers all the values against that parameter and then assigns them colors and fills.  Great.

The problem with this is that it eliminates the possibility of having predefined color schemes for use against different parameters and as you have pointed out it also prevents you from renaming an item in the color scheme.

So here's what I think should happen.  

1) You define the 'color list' (or schemes) first - this would be the colors and fills only.  This (these) would be done using your office standards and would form part of your standard template file.

2) You set up the actual color scheme itself - View type, parameter along with the desired color fill list.  At this point you have a color scheme as you normally would but without any values assigned.

Color Scheme Proposal.png

3) Each row can then have a parameter value assigned to it - by clicking on the drop down you get a list of all available but unassigned values.  If you want to change a value, just select from the drop down again (may require setting to 'none' first) - the principle is much the same as how Revit currently handles room lists.

4) If there are more values then rows you simply have an option to add an additional row.

This approach would give users much more control over the color schemes and do away with the annoyance of colors being randomly reset if the parameter being selected is changed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still waiting for the ability to rename values!!!

philipc
Contributor

This needs to happen. You want to setup colors in a template and then just simply rename when needed. It seems like everything else you can modify here.

Sean_Page
Collaborator

Use a key schedule applied to the parameter you want to use. That is what we do and it works very well for code plans when you want it consistent.

mviscetto
Advocate
Thank you
lola.carbajal
Enthusiast

Definetely agree that Color Schemes need a general review. 

Apart from being able to rename the existing items and be able to predefine them and be part of a template... they don't work properly: when you rename a value in the Room schedule it creates a duplicated value instead of replacing the old value, then you have to go to the Color Scheme to remove all the values that are not in use anymore, otherwise it will mess up your legends (including all the old and current colors/values).

lola.carbajal
Enthusiast

I just posted this in the other threat about this issue and thought it's good to pasted here as well:

"Apart from being able to rename the existing items and predefine some color schemes as part of a corporate template... they don't work properly: when you rename a value in the Room schedule it creates a duplicated value instead of replacing the old value, then you have to go to the Color Scheme to remove all the values that are not in use anymore, otherwise it will mess up your legends (including all the old and current colors/values)."

ks2_wmb
Advocate

Came to Revit Ideas today to post about this functionality.

It's been five years since this was posted.  Argh!

nadia_duarte
Community Visitor

Revit should just simplify the software. Just let the user rename these values and also Shared Parameters with the very same limitation. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report