Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser Organization for Schedules, Legends and Families

Browser Organization for Schedules, Legends and Families

This idea comes from reading other's requests for a schedule browser and a family browser.  What if the existing project browser just had the ability to organize the Schedules, Legends and Families similar to what we currently have with Views & Sheets.  (Browser Organization under user interface currently only has two tabs, Views & Sheets, but why not add tabs for Legends, Schedules & Families).  This would allow us to duplicate Schedule Types and Legend Types and setup Browser Organization to list schedules and legends into groups the way we prefer.  (We currently can duplicate schedule and legend types, but it doesn't do any good because the browser can't be organized for those items).

26 Comments
lionel.kai
Advisor

It looks like Autodesk has no live project were Schedules and Legends multiply like rabbits. Just a small example: if you rebar your model, and the smaller your sheets are, the larger the amount of Rebar Schedules become, AND we have way to order them like Views.

To Autodesk, get in touch with Dan Peticila, if you need more information.

Zsolt.Varga
Autodesk Support

Similar wish reported by customer Henry Beddoes: 

Please, enable the Project Browser to organize Groups in the project in Subfolders.

ptranbergNTI
Advocate

By default it could be usefull to group Schedules by Type and category...

Schedule/Quantities

Doors

Structural Columns

Windows

Material Takeoff

Walls

Floors

ETC...

Regards

Peter

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

adrian.calabria
Advocate

Is there any indication when this might be implemented?

matthew_taylor
Advisor

Project Browser sorting of Schedules is LIVE in Revit 2018.1.

Well done, development team.

adrian.calabria
Advocate
Good work team!

lionel.kai
Advisor

Now we just have to wait for Families, Legends, Groups? ...

They must have planned ahead when they finalized the 2018 file format - we're forever hearing about how they can't add features without changing the database format...

jason.quarry
Advocate

It would be a great organization tool if schedules could have a discipline parameter added to them. This way schedules could be found much easier in the project browser instead of relying on a naming convention to make wayfinding easier.

Tags (2)
cgaither
Enthusiast

A Workset filter might be even better.

jason.quarry
Advocate
Maybe. I personally like the idea of a discipline as my whole browser is based on discipline. We have all within our office. Then I break it down to plan type.

I am a fan of trying to use out of the box functionality when it is convenient and when it matches our firms standards. 😃

[cid:image001.png@01D3009A.BC6956A0]
adrian.calabria
Advocate
You can sort them now in 2018.1 like view sorting.
tomek
Collaborator

What everyone is asking for is very reasonable and by the sounds of it much needed. But please thing BIG! The whole browser UI needs to be refactored as the current interface is cumbersome at best.

-t

matthew_taylor
Advisor

@lionel.kai They did think ahead - 2018 allows shared project parameters for the 'Schedules' category.

@tomek The UI for this section *is* getting an overhaul, so we can hope...

EBowman2
Participant

The Schedule Browser organization needs to be driven by the user created Schedule Types, not the System ones.

CSFitzgerald
Advocate

@harlan_brumm I see that there is a "Browser Organisation" function for schedules, I presume it has been added since the request.? However, there is still no Browser Organisation function for families. 

It would be great to be able to filter or split families by system/user families, as there are many families in the browser that I will hardly access from the Project Browser - such as doors, which would rather be selected from the Properties Browser after selecting the Door icon. Having these families clutter the Project Browser is slow.

aimo
Explorer

Add Browser Organization to Legends as well!

Know that this is wished for earlier, but most of these are marked as ACCEPTED

Thought I should re open the issue because the case is only half solved.

Tags (2)
antonjubani
Enthusiast

... Still no Browser Organisation function for legends 😞

justin.grayF6N2F
Contributor

While I don't think custom browser organization for Families would be a super great idea (outside of perhaps the main categories Revit uses in Visibility/Graphics + Annotation Categories maybe), I do think the Browser Organization window should have a tab for every main category in the Browser with the possible exception of Revit Links. Additionally, it would be nice to be able to filter Schedules/Panel Schedules for ones "not on sheets" similar to Views, even if a schedule can be placed on more than one sheet. Basically, add tabs for Legends, Panel Schedules, Groups, Assemblies, and Reports.

The tabs would then look something like this: 

justingrayF6N2F_0-1637103013671.png

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report