Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Functionality for Legends!!

Better Functionality for Legends!!

1.  Ability to Tag Legend Components

2.  Ability to rotate Legend Components

3.  Option for "Floor Plan View" for Floors, Ceilings, etc.

4. Ability to Override Graphics, apply Filters, etc to Legend Components

Work arounds for these issues are too many, and leave too much room for error.  A legend should be representative of the items in your model.  It should have as much functionality as your floor plans do because it is meant to be a visual guide of the items in said floor plan.  MUST HAVE FULL FUNCTIONALITY!

120 Comments
mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

Everything here is spot on. Legends are an absolute mess and there are a plethora of improvements that have to happen.

At minimum, the process to even place a legend component has to improve. Having one tiny drop down menu that includes every single family type in the project is outrageous.

Hi @kimberly.fuhrman I just realized that there is no mention of improving legends in the public roadmap. This is a basic feature that is used on every project and it is quite broken. Would it be possible to give it some love in the future?

As someone whop trains new Revit users coming from CAD, I'm always ashamed of having to explain why Revit Legends are so broken and underwhelming. This is more important than all the fancy cutting edge AI stuff, because every project is affected by the lackluster/broken basic functionality.

Thank you 🙏

smichaudN26PG
Enthusiast

~6 month bump on this. @Samuel.Arsenault-Brassard is 100% correct on "underwhelming". AI is great but unless the AI is making a legend, users won't want to use the AI when they are struggling with page 1 of a set of drawings. 

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@Samuel.Arsenault-Brassard , I completely understand! Documentation in general is certainly important. @ndjabiras suggests several different improvements. Which of these is most important to you?

-Kimberly

Hi @kimberly.fuhrman at a minimum, I would say:

• Ability to annotate legends with real tags that can gather the parameters
  • Ability to dimension/snap to legend lines
  • Ability to section legend components

I would recommend doing a lot of dog-fooding and going beyond this however. There are lots of mentions of requested improvements to legends, but this would be a really good start. Thank you for being so responsive, I really appreciate it 🙏

@kimberly.fuhrman 

Add to the minimum:

• Ability to rotate legend components

Without that legends are pretty much dead in the water for MEP and really only draughting views which you can put on multiple sheets.

For architecture (door schedules with curtain panels) add:

• Ability to set the instance parameters of legend components

smichaudN26PG
Enthusiast

Quarterly Bump on my end @kimberly.fuhrman MEP Designers are struggling with this still

• Ability to rotate legend components
  • Ability to set the instance parameters of legend components
  • Ability to annotate legends with real tags that can gather the parameters
  • Ability to dimension/snap to legend lines
  • Ability to section legend components
  • Ability to Override Graphics, apply Filters, etc to Legend Components (Legends appear to be Views in the Revit Database so this should be possible to have view controls) 
AB_TX
Participant

Improving legend capabilities is one the most important weakness of the software in my opinion and should be one the most top priorities for future versions. Current Legend components in Revit do not meet the requirements for smart BIM software. Legends components should be live taggable, rotatable, dimenstionable, and be available in all direction of the component. That also would be great if legends views could be populated automatically like schedules and keynote legends and can filter their data by sheet. 

Lars_Jeppesen
Enthusiast

Ditto on this one. At the moment, we are having to create our window, door, wall, ceiling, floor, roof, etc. schedules outwith Legends in the model, creating additional phases to ensure that said elements dont show up etc., all because of a few limitations of Legends...otherwise the idea behind Legends is great...it just doesn't fully work...still after so many years... 😞

atis.sed
Advocate

What is most absurd, is that even in Autodesk own Legend example images there are Tags and Texts, probably written in dumb text note manner. This is BIM in 2022, jesus christ. What is the point of legend if you cannot tag elements shown there?! 

And this is not even on the public roadmap! https://trello.com/b/ldRXK9Gw/revit-public-roadmap 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2021/ENU/Revit-D...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Revit/f...

I asked if there were plans to fix the legends and they said no 😢

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkiZE4U0jFw

j.apraiz
Observer

I've been waiting for years and nothing have been improved. I don't understand why Autodesk doesn't adress this issue, it's key for correct documentation in almost every project. 

If you don't know how to program these funtionalities, at least buy a plug-in out there. 

It's embarrasing to pay 3000€/year for Revit and can't do this simple tasks.

smichaudN26PG
Enthusiast

Welp @Samuel.Arsenault-Brassard  Thanks for asking. Guess well keep this thread going and keep it Relevant (and Use Dynamo and Drafting Views For now or Design Options and Worksets....)

atis.sed
Advocate

@Samuel.Arsenault-Brassard  OMG I am out of words..

The Revit development team has many things on the radar but very few things on the roadmap. And the things on the roadmap aren't actually that useful or have limited improvements for the end user. In my office we need to use legends in every project and we never use the legend tools in Revit because they are completely useless for us and instead we found a way to use the assembly tools and workflows (with a twist) to manage our manufacturing drawings i.e. for windows and doors.

Improvements for the legend tool obviously don't fascinate the shareholders.

I think it's time to switch to BricsCAD...

Yeah, ignoring the completely broken Legend functionalities is pretty short sighted. It seems like investors/shareholders are more important than users. They want more features for marketing and boasting about being cutting edge, but they can't fulfill the basic functionalities that every project uses.

There's a lack of dogfooding (using your own products to create real projects) at Autodesk, because the terrible legends are a friction point for every project and it would've come up in any dogfooding exercise as an obvious and grave friction point.

It's really annoying that they focus on specialty workflows like generative design that less than 1% of projects will use, while functionalities like Legends don't work and are required on every single project. It's also really bad on the morale of people transitioning from AutoCAD because they can't be convinced that Revit is a good product if it can't do the basic things required for every architectural project. Really bad on people's perception of Revit team's ability to know what we need to do our work.

What matters more? Being able to do the work in Revit or getting shiny new stuff for the Revit marketing department to blindside investors and potential purchasers of the software?

atis.sed
Advocate

@Samuel.Arsenault-Brassard completely agree! How can we compare Revit to Archicad when all of these thing are native and easy in Archicad... Yet we have generative design ability to space out and place tables in room and BIM360 and other BS regarding cloud workflow (which doesn't even support IFC files, jesus we tried this in beginning of Covid). 

AB_TX
Participant

@Samuel.Arsenault-Brassard I am speechless

Lars_Jeppesen
Enthusiast

LoL @Samuel.Arsenault-Brassard ,

I assume your question was rhetorical, but either way, I think you've answered your own question....

wr.marshall
Advisor

I sometimes wonder at Autodesk choices too when there long time requested features here and on AUGI. Though a nice to have like 2020 elliptical walls, what was point when most buildings and rooms are rectangular. Efforts could have been put better focused elsewhere, but no use crying over spilt milk as it's there now if you want to draw elliptical walls. Digressing a bit from main topic of this idea regarding Legends Revit needs following updates urgent Topography(glad this on the road map), LEGENDS, railing, family editor(inventor constraints system & fillet and chamfer tools), autoCAD print window.

Really hope that after the 3D Walls and topography projects (as per road map) that their next priority will be Legends with many brilliant ideas listed here as replies. Here's to hoping!!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators