Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Wall Joins

Automatic Wall Joins

This is the second time, or third, I bring this up, surprised that I don't get everybody's support. So here is what I suggest:

This is really the worst part of Revit in my opinion since it defies the real wander of skipping the tedious art of editing and double checking where the computer could do better than us humans.

There are too few grades of strength to wall and floor layers so the joins never work properly. There should be more grades to allow for automatic joining as required. The joins should be automatic! No join function needed. The editing tool does not work properly. Very unstable. In most cases the editing is not saved. But who wants it anyway. we need better control over wall joins in general and prefer that it will happen by itself.

9 Comments
FinearcLtd
Advocate

The fact that multi layered walls do not join properly automatically is no secret to all of us users. I have suggested already that this issue should be solved. Wall that join layers correctly at complex joints really depends on the ability to define the preference of each material/layer. Please offer us this tool so that we rid ourselves from editting each wall join, especially those who never work out, even after trying al the options, which forces us to go back to 2D corrections were it is really not necessary, given the right builtin solutions.

Please! Please! Please! SOT... Save Our Time...

owendraftingtech
Contributor

Sometimes ideas aren't supported because it isn't a good idea. Sometimes ideas aren't supported because it doesn't propose a solution, only a problem. Sometimes ideas aren't supported because another member posts an idea that's already been posted before, cluttering the forum. Sometimes ideas aren't supported because another member floods the forum with a dozen or more ideas at once, shoving all the other submission off the first few pages.

FinearcLtd
Advocate

No harm meant. We just put together a couple of things that really bother our team at work. Didn't mean to shove anyone around. I really am not familiar with the way the forum operates.  Just trying to hand out a few ideas hoping to see if we share similar problems. If our contribution offends anyone we apologize.

GA-LT
Advocate

You are absolutely right! Working with walls in Revit is a real disaster. We have dynamo, adaptive components etc. but to draw walls and force them to behave like we want in plan or section is time consuming and mostly frustrating process - why?

owendraftingtech
Contributor

Sorry I was a little passive aggressive. Maybe I shouldn't post so early in the morning. Smiley Very Happy

The forum is a bit of a mess because all ideas, whether they're discipline-related, UI-related, etc. are all in the same place. I'm not going to vote up an MEP suggestion because I never deal with MEP in Revit, but their ideas push ideas I care about further down the page.

I agree that something needs to be done about wall layers and how they join, but I have yet to be able to come up with a solution and articulate it. From what I've seen, ideas that are well thought out and well articulated are the ones that are the most well received.

karin
Explorer

Just Do It Like In Archicad!!! Material Based Importance table for perfect auto join and the wall layers only set the hatch and line weight.

wr.marshall
Advisor

Posted a wish awhile back where you could perhaps drag and drop individual layers in a wall join, which might resolve issues. Also voted for this as one of the things I urgently require!!!

Link: Drag and drop Wall Layers in Wall Joins 

mcobb
Advocate

It has always impressed me how many wall join videos I can watch and still find that there is yet another permutation that has not been formally addressed yet. In my opinion, it is one of the thorniest programming problems Revit faces and it would be wonderful to finally face it and resolve it much more thoroughly. I wonder if there might be a way to introduce a graphic lexicon for "special" wall joins prior to a cadd user making the join they know will be complex. I'm thinking here of something a little like the Fry Reglet "shapefinder" tool they have to help customers find the right piece of metal. 

https://fryreglet.com/shape-finder/

Instead of showing a bunch of shapes, there could be a series of join configurations starting perhaps with 2 wall, 3 wall, 4 wall and perhaps 5 wall joins. I know this would be an involved interface but again, it would only be used for "special" wall joins.  Just a thought for a problem that has really persisted for more than a decade. It would be great to finally solve this.

YarUnderoaker
Collaborator

And may be realize this as Structural Connection for walls.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report