Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Changing of File Saving Location for Revit .rws & .dat Files

Automatic Changing of File Saving Location for Revit .rws & .dat Files

It would be convenient if any files generated as a result of using a Revit .rvt file would all be automatically saved in the same locations as the main file, without having to go through options and re-allocate the location every time you change to another project. I understand that .001 backups are generated in the same file location as the main .rvt file, however .rws, .dat, and any other generated files should automatically allocate their file path to that of the main .rvt file. I'm been in contact with Autodesk and the information I'm receiving at the moment suggests that it's not possible to change the file save settings so that any all additionally generated files are saved in the file location of that particular .rvt file.

8 Comments
dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

Sorry, but I think this is a terrible idea.

I just checked one of our typical project, and there are 440 files in the project_backup folder.

I do NOT want to have to sift through 400 files just to find the one .rvt I use every day.

There really should be no reason to ever access the .rws files.

I do wish that the folder was not called "_backup", though. I occasionally see people copying archival .rvts in there.

mpwuzhere
Advisor

Yeah, I don't want to have to sift through a bunch of stuff that is hidden on purpose just to find my project file.

I'm also glad that I use Revit Server for all my projects.  Nothing is on the local network.

Glazie
Contributor
I should have clarified this.

Any additional files generated by the use of Revit software should be saved
in their own dedicated folder, which is located at the same file path as
the parent .rvt file. I certainly wouldn't advocate additional files
crowding peoples project file locations, however we do need any files (in
dedicated file folders for their respective file types) to be saved in one
location automatically that is linked to the parent .rvt file location.
This file location backup should not have to be amended for every project.
Glazie
Contributor
I should have clarified this.

Any additional files generated by the use of Revit software should be saved
in their own dedicated folder, which is located at the same file path as
the parent .rvt file. I certainly wouldn't advocate additional files
crowding peoples project file locations, however we do need any files (in
dedicated file folders for their respective file types) to be saved in one
location automatically that is linked to the parent .rvt file location.
This file location backup should not have to be amended for every project.
dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

Now I'm even more confused.

The .RWS files should be getting created in a folder named project_backup which should be in the same location as the Central file

CentralFolders.PNG

Is that not where yours are being saved?

You don't need to set that for every project. In fact, I don't think you even can change it.

Glazie
Contributor
Yes you have it correct. The folder named 'Project_Backup' is being saved
in the parent file location of the parent .rvt file, but if we go to
another project, then file location does not change. So we get backup
information from one project getting generated in another project's file
location, unless we manually change the file path every time through
options --> File Location.
mpwuzhere
Advisor

File locations under options have nothing to do with the locations for central files.   You can specify the template location, the User Local Files, family templates and Point Clouds.

If you are talking about the local files, those should be kept on your local computer, and they should always be in the same location so you can purge that folder time to time without hunting them down.

Glazie
Contributor
While I appreciate your feedback on the issue, our office project file structure is such that we want to be able to designate the location of all files, so any files generated through use of Revit, we would like to be able to determine where those files are located for each project. So our preference would be that all backups, .dat files are automatically saved in the main file location where the .rvt file is. I understand how the system currently works, but this is a forum for new ideas so this would work best for our needs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report