Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Break Line

Automatic Break Line

Add an option to have an automatic break line at the crop boundaries.  Ideally would be an option for each edge of the crop.  The type of break line would be a parameter for each view type.

5 Comments
lionel.kai
Advisor

The problem would be how to determine the extents and locations of the breaks. If Revit was doing it automatically, it would probably be just big giant break lines on each side, or a million different ones for each element being broken. If it could somehow be conservative with the number of breaks placed AND allow you to customize it afterward, this could be a great time-saving feature for placing "starter" break lines when creating views. I don't think Revit would ever be good enough at placing them completely automatically, though - the logic would just be too complex (and peoples' aesthetics vary about what should be combined into the same break line). Maybe you should also submit this in the ideas forum for add-ins?

dave.c.christy
Participant

@lionel.kai One giant one would work perfectly for us. Perhaps with an extra option in the type settings of the view to define the scale or a annotation symbol.

kimbcla
Community Visitor

This would be so nice!  I think the best way to handle it would be to have a checkbox on each boundary of the crop region when it is selected.  If you have specialized geometry to break then you don't turn on the break line for that edge, and instead do manual break lines (of any angle or width) like we do them now.

Dylan.Deguzman
Observer

@porker wrote:

Add an option to have an automatic break line at the crop boundaries.  Ideally would be an option for each edge of the crop.  The type of break line would be a parameter for each view type.

I would agree

OR

Have a way to associate break lines with views. "Only visible in view 2/A102"

Mark_Engwirda
Collaborator

I can't really see a need for break lines to crop boundaries, doesn't make sense to me to 

I do see a real need for where we break a view, there should be automatic break lines and honestly, I don't know why this hasn't been already implemented or hasn't been requested by a lot of users.
A simple line break to each edge of where the view is broken is all that's necessary.

Regarding the size of the break line, I would imagine that it would be user dependant or driven by the scale of the view?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report