Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Circuiting Homerun Wires

Auto Circuiting Homerun Wires

After using Revit for nearly 10 years I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed or made into a MEP settings option.  I use the auto circuiting feature often as it saves a lot of time, but what doesnt save time is having to delete the homerun wire that stretches nearly to the panel and adding one in the is a more acceptable length.  It would be great if there was an option to either limit and standardize a desired typical length, of have the software default the wire to be a reasonable length, maybe 18" - 24" as opposed to the occasional wire length of 60'.

14 Comments
glenbob305
Advocate

Amen! This is a great request.  It's something that should be simple to fix.

It's also a good example of how a problem in Revit Electrical can go unfixed for years and years. 

glenbob305
Advocate

I'd suggest editing the title to be a bit more readable so this can gain support.  

wrtetro
Enthusiast

Agreed.  I asked a few years ago while attending Gunslingers and I had hopes it would have happened back then, but hopefully it'll happen, even for a patch for 2017 and 2018.  That's the last missing piece for auto-wiring then it'll be slick.

dw_werner
Observer

That would be great.  I would also add the ability to turn off an individual arrow for a particular homerun compared to shutting the feature off for all homeruns.  Give us the ability to have this feature.

jill_chen
Autodesk

Hi @wrtetro@glenbob305@dw_werner,

Thanks for the feedbacks, for "default the wire to be a reasonable length", usually, how would you determine the length of the home run? Will it quite consistent in the whole project? and how would you deal with the wire (home run) length in different view scales?

glenbob305
Advocate

A home run should be about 1.5-3” and point generally in the direction of the panel (but not exactly). It’s just a symbol saying “this connects to that”.   I’m going to look for a few home run symbols and post them as examples. 

Revit draws a wire wire halfway across the sheet which is not usable to anyone. Many many folks don’t use wires at all except home runs on their electrical plans, relying on tagging instead since wires end up a spaghetti mess.  

-Glen

jill_chen
Autodesk

Thanks @glenbob305, examples for the home run symbols would be helpful! we would like to understand what would be the expected range for the homerun wire length and any difference in different view scales. Thanks again for the quick response!

wrtetro
Enthusiast

As far as examples, I'd leave it up to the users to decide.  Revit has several leader options already that that would be acceptable to most others.  They should have an option to where you can change the homerun arrow type to a 20 degree filled, 20 degree open...whatever options they want.  There are times where we use a tilde or other symbols to denote that the circuiting continues to another level or discipline and we have to use a masking annotation over the arrowhead to work around this.  I would like to see the ability for the users to be able to change the look of the homerun arrow to whatever their company standards are, they should be able to create a family, load it into their template or project and change the type as required.  As far as the wire length shown on plan views, that's dependent on the scale.  at a 1:1 scale, I'd say it should extend out from the edge of the device 6" or about 36" on a 1/8 scale plan.  BHOMERUN_ARROW_EXAMPLE.JPGut it should not extend 3/4 of the way across the plan to the electrical room, this makes the feature useless.

glenbob305
Advocate

First step would be to get rid of the really long home runs. They should look something like this:  

image.jpg

Moving forward id really like to see Revit adopt a non-wire homerun that can move with fixtures and not change.  Maybe that’s a discussion for another time. 

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk
Thank you for submitting your idea, and the comments posted thus far. We are marking this idea as accepted, and are investigating some improvements related to this. If you would like to provide further feedback on these capabilities, we would be happy to involve you in our beta program (Revit Preview). Reach out to revit.preview.access at autodesk.com to join! Be sure to let us know this is the topic you are interested in providing additional feedback on, and we will point you in the right direction.
wrtetro
Enthusiast
Thanks! This will make a lot of people happy. I'm part of the beta program and can't wait to test more new features.

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

There was an improvement made in Revit 2020.1 to address this... you should no longer see auto-generated homeruns that go beyond a reasonable length by default, regardless of view scale.

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report